2016 Rio: Track and Field | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: Track and Field

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Usually USA is a mess in changing but this case was a clear damage caused by the Brazilian girl. I think this time it's fair that USA had the possibility to run again (all alone) and then qualify for the final.
Don't remember China, but the Japanese were amazing in changing. That's the right strategy if you don't have super star sprinters and want to get to the final anyway.

In men only GB from Europe will run the final, in women we have GB, Germany (a young relay that I really like) and the usual Ukraine... Netherlands is out and that was because of..... Daphne Schippers! :eek: She's still shaken by her 200m final....

I meant Chinese Men :) Poor Dafne. Though she should be proud of herself. Unlike most of the sprinters, she's focused solely on sprints only two years!

alebi

Medalist
Buko failed all his attempts? And THE Big favourite didn't win after all. Yet in another event. Maria Andrejczyk lost bronze by 2 cm An she didin't even get close ot the result from Quali, which would have give her a Gold. I guess no more medal chances for Poland in Athletics...

First of all..... this night we had a very hard storm and all my TV signal went off exactly during the whole athletics session.... :angry1::bang::furious::ddevil:
I had to surf the net for a streaming careless of all the lightnings... At 1.30 a.m........ Only in the name of my love for athletics :laugh:

It was worth it!! The shot put competition has been stellar!!!! I know Crouser was the US trial winner, but I didn't expect him to throw so smoothly in his first international final. And what a final!!! He threw 21.15 22.22 22.26 21.93 22.52 21.74!!!!!!! 22.52 is a new Olympic Record (the old one was from... 1988? ).
Elemba and Romani were the big surprises and that knocked Majewski and Storl down. For Buko I think this has been an important experience. I only saw his first throw which was pretty long but he couldn't stay in the board..

alebi

Medalist
I think you may be right. But the ladies probably know, that to win, they need to jump 2.00 m or higher anyway. With so many of them, there's no way the competition will be over before that height. Unless the weather will be terrible.

I don't guess any prediction (LOL) but Lowe and Jungfleisch are the only ones who jumped 2m. Lowe is very experienced while I don't see the German a favourite for a gold (now all the Germans are cheering because of my prediction :laugh:). Beitia is the other one very experienced even if she lack the VERY BIG jump, but when it matters she's always there. The super young Cunningham can be the surprise (she already proved in indoor that she doesn't feel the pressure) and Radzivil jumped really good and clear in qualification. I won't say a word about Licwinko and the Italian girls :shock2:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
First of all..... this night we had a very hard storm and all my TV signal went off exactly during the whole athletics session.... :angry1::bang::furious::ddevil:
I had to surf the net for a streaming careless of all the lightnings... At 1.30 a.m........ Only in the name of my love for athletics :laugh:

It was worth it!! The shot put competition has been stellar!!!! I know Crouser was the US trial winner, but I didn't expect him to throw so smoothly in his first international final. And what a final!!! He threw 21.15 22.22 22.26 21.93 22.52 21.74!!!!!!! 22.52 is a new Olympic Record (the old one was from... 1988? ).
Elemba and Romani were the big surprises and that knocked Majewski and Storl down. For Buko I think this has been an important experience. I only saw his first throw which was pretty long but he couldn't stay in the board..

Yeah, the results of Couser are amazing! The problem with Buko is, like he is saying himself, it's not his first senior big competition, when he fails all three attempts. To be fair, I think the technique he uses to throw is much harder to stay in a circle than the one Majewski uses. But if he trains this one, he needs to learn to stop rotating at the right moment not to step out. Well, he's young. He still have time for big succes, but that doesn't make it less frustrating.

I don't guess any prediction (LOL) but Lowe and Jungfleisch are the only ones who jumped 2m. Lowe is very experienced while I don't see the German a favourite for a gold (now all the Germans are cheering because of my prediction :laugh:). Beitia is the other one very experienced even if she lack the VERY BIG jump, but when it matters she's always there. The super young Cunningham can be the surprise (she already proved in indoor that she doesn't feel the pressure) and Radzivil jumped really good and clear in qualification. I won't say a word about Licwinko and the Italian girls :shock2:

Ruth Beitia is defnitely one of the favourites due to her amazing consistence. But a lot of ladies were preparing specifically for Olympics, and I really think we will see a 2.00 m jump(s). Isn't Blanka Vlasić PB 2.08 m?

alebi

Medalist
I meant Chinese Men :)

Oh yes... I mixed up.... the first sentence was for women and the second was about men :laugh: I didn't pay attention to the Chinese men and now I recall why... The second change of Saint Kitts and Nevis (Collins - Clarke) was so hilarious that I couldn't stop laughing :laugh2: Poor Collins... they also had a very competitive relay... Clarke, Clarke... you looked like you were sleeping on the track! :p
I

alebi

Medalist
Yeah, the results of Couser are amazing! The problem with Buko is, like he is saying himself, it's not his first senior big competition, when he fails all three attempts. To be fair, I think the technique he uses to throw is much harder to stay in a circle than the one Majewski uses. But if he trains this one, he needs to learn to stop rotating at the right moment not to step out. Well, he's young. He still have time for big succes, but that doesn't make it less frustrating.

I think this Olympic established the spin technique as the best. It's harder because it's less stable but if you're mastering it, you can throw way more further.

Ruth Beitia is defnitely one of the favourites due to her amazing consistence. But a lot of ladies were preparing specifically for Olympics, and I really think we will see a 2.00 m jump(s). Isn't Blanka Vlasić PB 2.08 m?

Don't know what to think about Blanka. She's recovering from a long time injury. I don't know if she's still able to jump high and clean at every measure. It's incredible if you think that she has never won a gold Olympic medal, given her talent :eek:hwell:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I think this Olympic established the spin technique as the best. It's harder because it's less stable but if you're mastering it, you can throw way more further.

Don't know what to think about Blanka. She's recovering from a long time injury. I don't know if she's still able to jump high and clean at every measure. It's incredible if you think that she has never won a gold Olympic medal, given her talent :eek:hwell:

Well, that happens to a lot of athletes :(

I know spin technique was developed later than the classic one, but yeah, it looks more profificient. I wonder if they take it from disciplines like Discus Throw maybe?..

alebi

Medalist
Well, that happens to a lot of athletes :(

I know spin technique was developed later than the classic one, but yeah, it looks more profificient. I wonder if they take it from disciplines like Discus Throw maybe?..

I think there's a similarity with the Discus technique. At the end, in very basic terms, when you rotate you have "more space" to collect more power before releasing the shot. But it's also fair to say that taller and "slim" athlete (like Majewski and Storl) can be more efficient using the traditional technique.

edit: well... Crouser has a very particular body shape. He's tall, with long legs, but has also a pretty big upper body part. He seems to be the ideal putter, because he's big enough but also sufficient fast :think:

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I think there's a similarity with the Discus technique. At the end, in very basic terms, when you rotate you have "more space" to collect more power before releasing the shot. But it's also fair to say that taller and "slim" athlete (like Majewski and Storl) can be more efficient using the traditional technique.

edit: well... Crouser has a very particular body shape. He's tall, with long legs, but has also a pretty big upper body part. He seems to be the ideal putter, because he's big enough but also sufficient fast :think:

You're right that being taller make it easier to use the classic technique. And it's obvious you need a particular body type to make good results. I'm curious how long Crouser will stay in Athletics world. He might be the one to break WR.

alebi

Medalist
You're right that being taller make it easier to use the classic technique. And it's obvious you need a particular body type to make good results. I'm curious how long Crouser will stay in Athletics world. He might be the one to break WR.

Yes, I hope he's not one of the many athletes that leaves this world to play in the NFL...

Today's competitions (and I still have TV problems that won't be fixed till Monday :sad21: ):

MORNING SESSION

M 50 Kilometres Race Walk Final
W 20 Kilometres Race Walk Final

AFTERNOON SESSION

W Pole Vault Final
W 4x400 Metres Relay Heats
M Hammer Throw Final
M 4x400 Metres Relay Heats
W 5000 Metres Final
W 4x100 Metres Relay Final
M 4x100 Metres Relay Final

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'm kind of proud that all three Poles managed to finish 50 km Race Walk. They are not on Robert Korzeniowski level of course, but so many has dropped off during the race...

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Very excited for Matt Centrowitz, a MD local, for the 1500m final on Sat! And so cool to see his proud dad, Matt Sr., a very nice guy who my son often saw coaching at the American U track when his high school XC/track team trained there. Sad for Robby Andrews though.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Japan won Silver in the 100x4 relay! I watched a documentary on the team last month. None of the guys were fast enough to qualify for finals in individual sprints, but together, their coach worked out the perfect 'baton pass' technique so that there would be minimal slowing time during the pass. Teamwork wins! And they looked so delighted. :biggrin:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Ato Boldon, former sprint star, commented on their passing technique which is stellar... I didn't notice as I was paying attention to Cambridge... when hot genetics from two hot nations make hotter together.. WOW :)

Canada had a very slow last exchange... otherwise, they would have been closer to silver I would say.... and of course, USA has often had issues with the baton... DQed again.... That's what happens when the stars don't train often enough together... or other runners do the semis....

Japan won Silver in the 100x4 relay! I watched a documentary on the team last month. None of the guys were fast enough to qualify for finals in individual sprints, but together, their coach worked out the perfect 'baton pass' technique so that there would be minimal slowing time during the pass. Teamwork wins! And they looked so delighted. :biggrin:

Last edited:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Japan= such a lovely medal! Bolt = Amazing triple triple. US women = so fast! And well done to GB's women who won a bronze in a new British record!

alebi

Medalist

Japan works always so well with relays. And you have a rising star in Sani-Brown, who is still 17!

alebi

Medalist
Only afternoon session today... It's essentially the last day, except for the male marathon tomorrow :sad21:

W High Jump
M Javelin Throw
M 1500 Metres
W 800 Metres
M 5000 Metres
W 4x400 Metres Relay
M 4x400 Metres Relay

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
We managed to medal in Men Hammer Throw after all. Who would've thought. And both our 400 relays manged to qualify for Final! Maybe we'll get a National Record or something :hap10: I'm happy for Stefanidi, tough the heights weren't impresive. But who cares :p Japan's Silver in realy was a beautiful thing!

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
can you imagine Canada finally beat the 1996 record for 4X100? that 1996 race is still one of my top ten favourite sporting events ever, when Canada won on US Olympic soil... it was epic... well... finally that record was beaten today and I was sad there was no medal attached to it so when it was said other countries were DQ, i thought, here's a silver erm erm bronze lining :)

tomorrow which is now... well sorta... i will be hoping for Bishop to repeat her performance from world Championships... if swimming has been all women, track n field has been all men for canada... we need a strong woman showing :)

alebi

Medalist
can you imagine Canada finally beat the 1996 record for 4X100? that 1996 race is still one of my top ten favourite sporting events ever, when Canada won on US Olympic soil... it was epic... well... finally that record was beaten today and I was sad there was no medal attached to it so when it was said other countries were DQ, i thought, here's a silver erm erm bronze lining :)

tomorrow which is now... well sorta... i will be hoping for Bishop to repeat her performance from world Championships... if swimming has been all women, track n field has been all men for canada... we need a strong woman showing :)

Brianna Theisen!!!!! :hap85: