Shoma Uno | Page 100 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

hamaguri

Record Breaker
I haven't checked yet, but my HD recorder should have a recording of Shoma's SP and FS with optional Dutch commentary from Eurosport. Thee may be some nice comments in there. If there is interest, I can check it out and report back with the comments, hopefully tonight.

Thank you winnie_20!

back2black

Rinkside
have watched every version available, the more i watch the more i like it
even though it's just the beginning of the season, i'm tempted to say Uno's LP is my favorite in men this season, just like last season Javier's flamingo in the short. don't agree with the B.Euro guy saying the music is too difficult to relate to and CBC Sandra disliking the singing in second half. IMO, the music has the right depth without either being obscure or superficial and the singing adds one more layer to the performance, but most importantly, it's Uno's ability to pull this off, his performance doesn't simply want to please you but absorb you, demand your full attention, also its has some kind of darker tone leaves an aftertaste when the program is over.it's quite amazing.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
I was overwhelmed by how well Shoma did. What great grit this boy has! The SP was good even if a little generic in choreo. He performed it well, however, and his stsq was wonderful.

Then came the FS and... just wow! He has come so far and that 4f was a beauty. The jumps looked a lot better, in fact, and I hope he will work with Alex O more throughout the year. The presentation though was beautiful. His back! His arms! His stsq! Gorgeous. Just the 2nd half was a little empty, but he is not a natural jumper so I understand why he has to go slow; I believe the transitions will come as his stabilises his jump layout more and more.

Anyway, loved it, loved him!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to Shoma on his first real GP win :clapper: Too bad about the fall but at least it wasn’t a belly flop.

Thanks for all the links and live reports everyone! I’ve added info. from Skate America in the OP.

This photo of the gold medalists is so cute.

And good to see Boyang and Shoma becoming buddy-buddy with eachother.

And with Nam! I missed Nam’s happy face.

The gold medalist photo is great. It was so funny because they had to jump 3 times before they got it right! So happy for Nam!

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was overwhelmed by how well Shoma did. What great grit this boy has! The SP was good even if a little generic in choreo. He performed it well, however, and his stsq was wonderful.

Then came the FS and... just wow! He has come so far and that 4f was a beauty. The jumps looked a lot better, in fact, and I hope he will work with Alex O more throughout the year. The presentation though was beautiful. His back! His arms! His stsq! Gorgeous. Just the 2nd half was a little empty, but he is not a natural jumper so I understand why he has to go slow; I believe the transitions will come as his stabilises his jump layout more and more.

Anyway, loved it, loved him!

The plan right now is that he will work with Alex in December and hopefully again next summer. I hope it happens. I also think Stephane Lambiel did great work with him to help him get the "feel" of the tango. His hard work really did show!:luv17:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Okay, I left out some of the comments about the jumps themselves, and some of it is slightly paraphrased and or not-too-well translated, but this is basically the gist of the Dutch Eurosport commentary.

Jason Brown was a nice warming-up for this spectacle from Japan, great talent, we expect very much from this young man the coming years. He has the potential.

He is a tip for the podium at the Olympics. He is an exceptional talent. Not only in the presentation, like Jorik and Jason Brown, but also/especially in the technique.
[They’re rather critical of his technique today here, think the flip wasn’t jumped from passes (steps?), but finally agree that oh yes, the flip was landed fine, fully rotated.]
Good presentation, good spins, excellent program and skating skills, something all Japanese seem to have. Fully-packed technical program, and he takes the lead in spite of a fall, because he had a higher base value with the two quads.

And again he starts with the quad flip, completely clean.
Wow, from the “moond”, a triple axel, triple toeloop, makes it look completely effortless,
[or moont? I still don’t know exactly the word, pretty sure it’s the spread eagle they’re talking about]
And another quad toeloop, “tsjonge jonge” (Dutch polite expression for Whoaa!)

Oh my “heaven” (literally, meaning, OMG) , whoa, how incredibly good you’ve become! Wow! Unbelievable! He became the junior world champion in the year after Nam Nguyen, but what a difference in development, not just technical, he was so exact with the music, so gestileerd (stylized?), paying attention to the details, even the skating skills. This is medal work at the Olympics. Here he is not really competing against the other skaters, but already against Fernandez and Hanyu, who will be watching this “with clenched bottoms” (Dutch expression), because he’s really not far behind them, not in presentation, not in artistic impression, absolutely not. All the quads were good, the triple axel we forgive him. Look at the quad flip, so beautiful, fine landing.
And here, out of the moond, triple axel, triple toeloop combination, so very difficult. And in the second half probably already, second quad toeloop, in combination, and it looked sooo easy.
Brilliant, Shoma Uno. Such bravour (?), such expression at that age! :eeking:

The short program was difficult to write up, because I realized even his skating pants are purple, wow, and the costume is all manners of bling; I got seriously distracted there. Yay for HD television, lol.

edit: if there's anything nice about him in the gala program, I'll post that, too, but I haven't even watched the Pairs FS yet...

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Many many congrats to Shoma for winning SA! :rock: Tbh, I was so mesmerized by his well-centred spins (esp. the final spin in SP, wow!), step sq, presentation, his body talk, his maturity and passion while performing, much more than his win here, though. ;)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Loved both of Shoma's performances! He is a great competitor and that is as impressive to me as what he actually puts on the ice.

One random note: I thought I wasn't going to enjoy the second part of his free skate (where the lady screams) because I found it very harsh when I watched him at Lombardia / Japan Open. However, it was fine. I think with all the people /competing noise in the arena, the harsh sound is lessened. Just thought I'd pass that on!

Arriba it was great to meet you -have a great time at Skate Canada!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I cannot stand the nitpicking and downtalking of Shoma's great performance in the Skate America threads so I came here to read something positive. Congrats Shoma on your first Grand Prix victory. I hope you'll continue to deliver and that we won't ever see teardrops landing on your cherubic cheeks! Show 'em!

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Many many congrats to Shoma for winning SA! :rock: Tbh, I was so mesmerized by his well-centred spins (esp. the final spin in SP, wow!), step sq, presentation, his body talk, his maturity and passion while performing, much more than his win here, though. ;)

That last spin in the SP was a beauty with no traveling, which has been a little bit of a problem lately it seems. Also wish he would leave out the dreaded A spin and do the blur spin like he was doing originally. All in all though, a beautiful dramatic ending to the SP.

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Loved both of Shoma's performances! He is a great competitor and that is as impressive to me as what he actually puts on the ice.

One random note: I thought I wasn't going to enjoy the second part of his free skate (where the lady screams) because I found it very harsh when I watched him at Lombardia / Japan Open. However, it was fine. I think with all the people /competing noise in the arena, the harsh sound is lessened. Just thought I'd pass that on!

Arriba it was great to meet you -have a great time at Skate Canada!

The screaming wasn't bad. And to me, he definitely had one of the more unique programs. The men's free was a great competition. And how about that silver medalist too! :points: :yahoo: Wasn't it funny when they couldn't get Shoma, Jason, and Adam off the ice?! Jason would probably still be there now if they'd let him!

Really enjoyed meeting you, and I have a feeling our paths will cross again some time!:rock:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I cannot stand the nitpicking and downtalking of Shoma's great performance in the Skate America threads so I came here to read something positive. Congrats Shoma on your first Grand Prix victory. I hope you'll continue to deliver and that we won't ever see teardrops landing on your cherubic cheeks! Show 'em!

Ha ha! You sound like me. I had to stop reading all the nitpicking and hairsplitting over everything wrong (?) with Shoma's programs. Could they possibly be worried that he's starting to catch up to his top rivals? Maybe they should be looking over their shoulders. I think he's catching up!

Last edited:

liv

Record Breaker
I went over to the SA men's thread and, my goodness, not a fun place. I am a huge Yuzu fan, he is my favourite, but I have no problem recognizing that great long by Shoma. He is a huge threat to Yuzu, no question... it frightens me! You can tell he has been performing it all summer, tweaking it with Stephane... it is totally ready to compete against anyone. Yuzu is playing catch up right now from those months off but this weekend will give a better idea of where he is in comparison. If someone were to tell me Shoma would win the gpf, I would not be surprised one bit. How lucky Japan is to have both of these young guys right now. I am a fan of them both.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I am a fan of them both.

Same here. At this point in time, my greatest wish would be for the both of them to get World and Olympic gold medals. I have no preference over either anymore. Japan is indeed very lucky, and so are us fans. :yahoo:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Could they possibly be worried that he's starting to catch up to his top rivals? Maybe they should be looking over their shoulders. I think he's catching up!

That's it. It also started last season already. I don't get it. I am a huge Daisuke Takahashi fan and when Yuzuru appeared on the scene I was just as smitten with him as most others - wanted him to be at his bests, even if that meant that Daisuke would have it harder. Shoma is still so young, of course he is not perfect yet. But actually saying he didn't deserve to win SA is very....well, an illusion. I think it's always the same. It's not even the dislike of the actual skate it's the rivalry against their favourite. Either way I think Shoma is in for great things and thankfully the judges do see that. It's hard enough to be such a talent and have a Yuzuru Hanyu in your country as Number One, a skater that seems larger than life. Cut Shoma some slack, people.

Plumededragon

Medalist
That's it. It also started last season already. I don't get it. I am a huge Daisuke Takahashi fan and when Yuzuru appeared on the scene I was just as smitten with him as most others - wanted him to be at his bests, even if that meant that Daisuke would have it harder. Shoma is still so young, of course he is not perfect yet. But actually saying he didn't deserve to win SA is very....well, an illusion. I think it's always the same. It's not even the dislike of the actual skate it's the rivalry against their favourite. Either way I think Shoma is in for great things and thankfully the judges do see that. It's hard enough to be such a talent and have a Yuzuru Hanyu in your country as Number One, a skater that seems larger than life. Cut Shoma some slack, people.
I haven't gone to the SA Men thread, but I heard about people saying he shouldn't have had higher PCS than Brown (lol), nothing much related to Yuzu, except that there're both rivals for top spot (which is true).
At least both skaters get along very well (I stopped counting the number of times they praised each other) and are happy in each other company (especially Shoma, who's slowly (but surely) coming out of his shell). I can only hope that Shoma isn't peaking too soon.

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I haven't gone to the SA Men thread, but I heard about people saying he shouldn't have had higher PCS than Brown (lol), nothing much related to Yuzu, except that there're both rivals for top spot (which is true).
At least both skaters get along very well (I stopped counting the number of times they praised each other) and are happy in each other company (especially Shoma, who's slowly (but surely) coming out of his shell). I can only hope that Shoma isn't peaking too soon.

It would be interesting to see the comments if Jason Brown wins over Yuzuru one day. I don't think it'll happen soon, but if it does....I'm curious to see what the reaction will be like. I also hope Shoma didn't peak yet. Season is long and I want him near or on the podium this time.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Shoma has nothing but the utmost respect for Yuzu, but he readily admits that he wants to beat him. In fact I feel like I remember reading that last year Yuzu said that both Shoma and Boyang were treating him in such a respectful way that it made him feel like an old man! :laugh2: It will be interesting to see how things go, because they have such different qualities to their skating -- Yuzu is much more of a natural jumper but he doesn't skate with the emotion or connection to his music that Shoma does (IMHO). This will make for some very interesting times! People can whine as much as they want about how Shoma does too much 2 footed skating, doesn't have enough transitions, does too many crossovers -- bottom line, the judges like him! He definitely has room to grow, and he will.