2016 Rostelecom Cup - Ladies SP | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2016 Rostelecom Cup - Ladies SP

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
because someone was bringing up hypocrisy, a canadian poster posting russians are overscored when in fact, Osmond got a massive home cooking at Skate Canada with a ridiculous score.

I've said Osmond was overscored, but not egregiously so. Radionova getting a personal best with an obvious error is a worse example of home cooking. Same with Kolyada getting a PB with an error.

BTW, in the Rostelecom 2013 where Julia was propped to win over Kostner with this FS http://www.isuresults.com/results/gprus2013/gprus2013_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf, her PCS was a personal best too.

SC and SA might have inflation, but you don't see the egregious inflated scores or personal best PCS when a skater doesn't skate cleanly (or cleaner than they've been in the past).

sneakers

Match Penalty
PCS is not supposed to be a reputation mark, people have just gotten too used to it being a reputation mark and think it only needs to go up when a skater has a history clean skates. She was overscored in the LP but she deserved her 2nd place spot.

but unfortunately PCS is related to consistency, why is Anna getting higher scores than Lena, Julia and Tuk now ?

berry8

Final Flight
I don't like these discussions that place later in the season than the one we're discussing and here's why. In my experience as a Judge, we were OFTEN told that numbers from an earlier event ( In this case Skate Canada ) were too low and needed to be bumped up. I can imagine that the inflated scores from the SP at this event will be a topic of discussion amongst the judges going into the next GP event. At this rate Shoma is going to score around 110.00 points. He's a great jumper but the judges need to be realistic with their scores.

U right!
Scores are getting way too high!

Eclair

Medalist
I sadly can´t write a full review, as I have to work in a bit and a few hundred people want to be entertained there. Still, I can not leave without a few words about our wonderful Ladies! ;) I felt that this was a great Ladies competition, as just one lady had a minor fall after her Axel. My absolute favorite was Yulia and she is proving me right in everything that I said about her 5 years ago.

Back then, I said that if she grows into a woman, that she will have what it takes to really shine and be much better than the "young Yulia". I love her natural approach to the sport, she is a great artist and has wonderful extensions and a very sensitive and yet powerful way of skating. For me, she is far from just a spinning lady, she has so much heart to give and this you can see when she is skating. Don´t get me wrong, I loved Yulia as a kid, her Schindlers List was amazing, but I like the lady much more and I am so happy that she kept going and didn´t throw the towel.

Her programs have so matured and similar can be said about Elena, who skated very well and showed her sexy and naughty side today. Anna, had a wonderful attack in her stepsequence, she was flying and had huge jumps and I also felt that Courtney skated really well and of course Angelina. I was a bit sad about our lady from Armenia, Anastasia. She skated so wonderful and I love her style on the ice, but I guess she lost her Flip, therefore the low score. Still, to do what she did takes a lot of guts, she was so brave and performed wonderful, after all the other skated amazingly well, my second favorite skate today.

I would had liked a higher score for the Chinese and Kanako too, they are so fun to watch and those smiles by the Japanese, she is such a darling! Nicole sold her program really well, but she also had an UR there me thinks, but she has really improved so much over the years, wonderful skater.

Overall, very enjoyable to watch and I am very happy with the Ladies this season, they are considering what I always say "get on the ice and show what you got, be proud and confident, skate for the audience - life is too short to worry about it". We are so blessed with talent these days and the kids from yesterday, are growing up and I love that.

Thanks everyone, until tomorrow :)

Her name is Zijun. She's been long enough on he scene for you to know her name. Judges seem to overlook her constantly, when she should get rewarded for her performance, staying in character from beginning to end. German Eurosport commentators even would have put her PCS between Pogo and Yulia (They clearly said that). She's really brave for training without coach and even improving from last season.

sneakers

Match Penalty
I've said Osmond was overscored, but not egregiously so. Radionova getting a personal best with an obvious error is a worse example of home cooking. Same with Kolyada getting a PB with an error.

BTW, in the Rostelecom 2013 where Julia was propped to win over Kostner with this FS http://www.isuresults.com/results/gprus2013/gprus2013_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf, her PCS was a personal best too.

SC and SA might have inflation, but you don't see the egregious inflated scores or personal best PCS when a skater doesn't skate cleanly (or cleaner than they've been in the past).

you still didn't answer how Osmond and Chan got those unrealistic scores at Skate Canada ?
wasn't that the same egregious inflated scoring.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Lmao aren't you guys tired of the **** measuring about home coocking :rofl:
Every GP has it deal with it
bc Someone who's overscored here are sure to be underscored somewhere else & then those same ppl would justify it as fair:scratch2:

Of course. There's home cooking at every GP. Every. Single. One. Of. Them.

And this Ros Cup hasn't been too awful about it. Generally seems to be about a 1-3 point 'home cooking' boost on average in the components score. Par for the course.

sneakers

Match Penalty
No worries, Satoko will get those invisible underrotatations at NHK and win gold
I was going to say how Osmond would do in NHK, but she isn't competing there, the Japanese would make a payback there after Satokos result in Canada and would have hammered Osmond every way.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Any chance people can just discuss the skates here rather than comparing scores between GPs in an accusatory manner. It gets wearying (from all sides) and could profitably be put in a NEW thread so the rest of us don't have to read it ad infinitum. Why don't one of you who is so concerned about it make one?

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
People want to say she has no reputation but performances are meant to be scored on how they performed at the time, not based on reputation.
Yeah in a perfect world it should be scored how a skater does at present time
But Some ppl need years of consistency to be able to get high marks & yeah gain reputation
but some others just get held up no matter how they skate & get ok scores &undeserving pcs with falls/pops/urs, skating through the music etc etc & when they're somewhat clean they can get sky high marks
I can understand ppl being disappointed esp if it happens at someone's home event &at the expence of skaters from other countries

Not about Osmond in particular (she didn't compete here so it's ot):giveup::giveup:

So Who was soo underscored here to make room for russians?
Zijun yeah I would had higher but was she worthy of top 3? Or Courtney?

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
The german commenters just said that Carolina Kostner will return for Europeans, and that made me think how it must be horrible to be in the Russian Ladies pack right now. If you're the one and only in a country you can have an off season, two off seasons, three off seasons. You can take your time to grow, you can train away your faulty bits, and your fed will love you and support you. But look at Anna. This girl would be at the top in every other country, the absolute favourite. But here, she cannot even allow a few little mistakes. Or she will be thrown aside. Is there even room to grow in that harsh environment? I criticized her program before, said that she'll never beat Evgenia if she doesn't backload her program, but maybe just holding on to that Number 2 position is such a hard thing to do, that it would be too much to ask for more attack. And to think that a few years ago there were hardly any russian ladies at the top of the world. How times change.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Any chance people can just discuss the skates here rather than comparing scores between GPs in an accusatory manner. It gets wearying (from all sides) and could profitably be put in a NEW thread so the rest of us don't have to read it ad infinitum. Why don't one of you who is so concerned about it make one?

Uhhhhh while you posted this I made a new thread to talk about the skating.

Krunchii

Record Breaker

Nah Zijun is not top 3, 4th is reasonable for her since Elizabet made mistakes, Zijun's speed hurts her scores. The Top 3 should be Anna > Yulia > Elena. Elena is fast with a lot of transitions, decent SS and projects well, even if she makes mistakes, there are reasons why the judges like her. It's just her posture not being fixed after so many seasons makes me grimace a bit. I was hoping Shae-Lynn would be able to help her with it but I guess not, and the neckline of the dress doesn't do her posture any favours either.

Eclair

Medalist
Yeah in a perfect world it should be scored how a skater does at present time
But Some ppl need years of consistency to be able to get high marks & yeah gain reputation
but some others just get held up no matter how they skate & get ok scores &undeserving pcs with falls/pops/urs, skating through the music etc etc & when they're somewhat clean they can get sky high marks
I can understand ppl being disappointed esp if it happens at someone's home event &at the expence of skaters from other countries

Not about Osmond in particular (she didn't compete here so it's ot):giveup::giveup:

Nobody ever said Zijun should be third. But did she deserve 29 PCs? No. Should she be a LOT closer to Yulia and Elena? Yes! Now the podium is basically decided, no matter how Zijun performs in the LP. And that's exactly what that huge PCS gap was intended to achieve.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
you still didn't answer how Osmond and Chan got those unrealistic scores at Skate Canada ?
wasn't that the same egregious inflated scoring.

Inflated scoring but not egregious scoring.

Chan's (and Hanyu's) PCS in the FS were fine. Both him and Hanyu were overscored on PCS in the SP. Result was correct.

Osmond's PCS was about 2-3 points too high in both the SP and the FS, but she still deserved over 200 overall and her placement.

Placement-wise here, I'd have Julia slightly ahead of Radionova (and I'm a huge Radionova fan). We'll see what happens in the FS though - I'm anticipating a 70 for one of the Russian girls if she goes clean, and a 91-92 for Kolyada if he does the same.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Her name is Zijun. She's been long enough on he scene for you to know her name. Judges seem to overlook her constantly, when she should get rewarded for her performance, staying in character from beginning to end. German Eurosport commentators even would have put her PCS between Pogo and Yulia (They clearly said that). She's really brave for training without coach and even improving from last season.

Don´t worry,

I know her name, I wrote about her before. No need to get angry, I am not responsible for the scores or that she as you said "is constantly overlooked" ;) "The Chinese" was simply put a better phrase in context with "the Japanese", later.

Good Night!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I loved Zijun in the past, and I thought she did well here, but still I don't have the feeling she was that underscored. At times her program felt almost static. She looks much more mature, but for some reason also pale, I think this dark look doesn't do her any favours.