lady_bee

Medalist
so somehow Brendan ended up 9th and in reasonable striking distance of 7th

and i am off to try and go back to sleep before the sun gets high

:bed: :bed: :bed:

Thank you & have a good sleep, karne. I enjoyed your post very much:thank:

andromache

Record Breaker
Well if Javier is not gonna wear his old Malaguena costume anymore please give the vest to Nathan, Nathan's costume makes him look like he is a poor skater who has to wear the same costume since he was 5

I just laughed sooooooo hard at this and I can barely stop :laugh2:

Plisskin

Medalist
Looking back at Denis's SP I kinda like the techno Romeo and Juliet. But the random Nutcracker edit needs to go asap.

frida80

Record Breaker
There are four quad kings this season that are attempting Non-sal, non-toe quads. In terms of landing their short programs I think I'll rank them.

Shoma
Nathan
Yuzuru
Bojing

Of course Shoma has competed in two GP already. I'm eager to see who can land the first clean short and long with all their quads. Of course I expect them to be ready to pass out by the end.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I love Javi's footwork sequence, especially the part where he rises up in toreodor stance, then drops to a lunge position! Cool!

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
So question for you forum fans. If Nathan continues his upward trajectory with all the quads and triple Axels how would you feel if he won the Olympic gold in PyeongChang? As we know, PCS and GOEs have limits, but a high BV can knock things out of the park.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Whoa Nathan! And great to see Denis back! Hope they both do well in the FS. There are some wonderful skaters in this competition, e.g., Brendan, Misha, Ivan, Jorik, who almost make me wish the technical demands weren't so great now so that we could just appreciate their performances.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
Javi was definitely better last week performance wise. Unusually flat outing, judges got PE score right today.

frida80

Record Breaker
So question for you forum fans. If Nathan continues his upward trajectory with all the quads and triple Axels how would you feel if he won the Olympic gold in PyeongChang? As we know, PCS and GOEs have limits, but a high BV can knock things out of the park.

It would be very ironic for span american with a seven quad program to win just eight years after another american won controversially with no quads.

That said, I want him around for two quads so I hope he doesn't peak early.

Kutien

Final Flight
1 Javier FERNANDEZ ESP 96.57 1 video
2 Nathan CHEN USA 92.85 2 video
3 Denis TEN KAZ 89.21 3 video
4 Adam RIPPON USA 85.25 4 video
5 Jorik HENDRICKX BEL 80.34 5 video
6 Takahito MURA JPN 78.38 6 video
7 Chafik BESSEGHIER FRA 77.00 7 video
8 Misha GE UZB 72.49 8 video
9 Brendan KERRY AUS 70.67 9 video
10 Ivan RIGHINI ITA 68.42 10 video
11 Artur DMITRIEV RUS 64.48 11 video

TGee

Record Breaker
and i dont think he planned to leave the 3a out... he just seemed a bit tired near the end...

I'm not entirely sure. Marina is known to emphasize consistency in competition. And it didn't look like a pop. It wasn't meant to be a 3A from what I could see.

While that's a given in ice dance due to the high penalties, if you look back earlier to her singles and pairs skaters, she had the same strategy.

Tactically, that can mean having back up plan if the skater isn't totally confident to get the problem element. I suspect that Nathan has been training with the 2A in as a placeholder while they work on the 3A. And so it would be natural to drop back to that layout if he was tired or had some hesitation.

Last edited:

zschultz1986

Final Flight

Depends on how the others skate, doesn't it? Olympics are a funny thing. As an Olympic athlete they're the highest competition, and yet, for my money, they shouldn't be, because one competition over one week every 4 years doesn't tell us ANYTHING besides who was the best on that week. Honestly, being at or near the top for multiple years should be more impressive than an OGM. Chan's career may go down with Kwan's as being the best male/female skater to never win an OGM. However, who's skating career would you rather have than Kwan's or Chan's? (Hanyu's, of course, but he's won an OGM.)

I think, sometimes, we put WAY too much stock in Olympics and not ENOUGH stock in what a skater has done in totality.

Edit: I didn't answer the question. As an American, I'd love him winning the OGM. As a skating fan, it would depend on how he skated and how others skated at that competiton.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
he's done 3A in earlier showing (Finlandia) and landed it. So, what I could think is that they have trained both and he decides on the fly? Plan A is definitely 3A... His 3A may not be textbook but he's landed it often enough in competition... even with an iffy landing it's more rewarding than a double.
I'm entirely sure. Marina is known to emphasize consistency in competition. And it didn't look like a pop. It wasn't meant to be a 3A from what I could see.

While that's a given in ice dance due to the high penalties, if you look back earlier to her singles and pairs skaters, she had he same strategy.

Tactically, that can mean having back up plan if the skater isn't totally confident to get the problem element. I suspect that Nathan has been training with the 2A in as a placeholder while they work on the 3A. And so it would be natural to drop back to that layout if he was tired or had some hesitation.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Oh mmy God! I'm so proud of you Nathan. He's becoming a breakout star this season. He's definitely the future of US men skating.

This is true. However, he needs a new costumer......Pronto!! Seriously, that costume looks like he grabbed an old costume from his junior days by mistake. It does nothing for his much improved line and faster spins. I was so busy gasping at how bad it was, that I had to go back watch the opening movement twice.

Last edited:

TGee

Record Breaker
This is true. However, he needs a new costumer. Seriously, that costume looks like he grabbed an old costume from his junior days by mistake. It does nothing for his much improved line and faster spins. I was so busy gasping at how bad it was, I had go back watch the opening movement twice.

mmrice...I'd really welcome your dance input/assessment of his extension....

For me, there is real promise there. Given all the criticism of his PCS deficiencies, I was really surprised when I saw Nathan at Finlandia how much basic dance potential was there.

I still think that he doesn't quite know what to do with his hands and arms, but I'm seeing the markers of Vaganova method training under all that...

chairmanmao

Final Flight
I am not liking this new SP by Denis, seems something a junior skater would do plus the Barbie music certainly doesn't help. This is a huge stepdown from his Caruso SP.