Ryan Bradley on Kaetlyn Osmond | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ryan Bradley on Kaetlyn Osmond

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
^^
And that somehow qualifies her to be the best skater, of all of them, in the world? Ok :laugh:

TGee

Record Breaker
^^
And that somehow qualifies her to be the best skater, of all of them, in the world? Ok :laugh:

No it means that it's interesting that some folks are starting to see her potential....and that she has the heart of a champion.

We've been surprised by Kaetlyn. Why not the rest of the world?

Last edited:

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
Just have to say this young lady is something else, very much enjoy watching her compete. It does seem like so many people have their favorites, though they say they don't, but their posts over time tell the truth. Kaetlyn has a new fan in her corner, very nice performance!

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
No it means that it's interesting that some folks are starting to see her potential....and that she has the heart of a champion.
We've been surprised by Kaetlyn. Why not the rest of the world.

Those are two very, very different things though. Yes, I think most all of us here see she has a lot of potential and she is progressing especially this season but the OP asked something entirely different.

he said Kaetlyn Osmond may be the best skater in the world at this time.

So no, she's not even remotely the best skater out of them all as far as I am concerned, potential or not. You're of course, welcome to think that she is.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
since when is a 7 triples FS a requirement for being a great skater?
Yuna, Caro, Mao for example

At any rate, 5 triples wasn't enough to medal in a 6-skater field. Two of the medalists had 7-triple programs and the third had 6 triples.

None of Kaetlyn's international freeskates this season had 7 triples:
CoC 4 triples: 3f+3t, 2a+3t, 3z<<-fo, 3lo<↓, 3f, 3s<+1t+2lo, 2a
SC 5 triples: 3f+3t, 2a-to+2t, 3z!, 3lo<↓, 3f, 3s+2t+2lo, 2a
Finlandia 6 triples: 3f-to+3t, 2a+2t, 3z, 3lo, 3f, 3s+1t<<+2lo, 2a-so

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
At any rate, 5 triples wasn't enough to medal in a 6-skater field. Two of the medalists had 7-triple programs and the third had 6 triples.

None of Kaetlyn's international freeskates this season had 7 triples:
CoC 4 triples: 3f+3t, 2a+3t, 3z<<-fo, 3lo<↓, 3f, 3s<+1t+2lo, 2a
SC 5 triples: 3f+3t, 2a-to+2t, 3z!, 3lo<↓, 3f, 3s+2t+2lo, 2a
Finlandia 6 triples: 3f-to+3t, 2a+2t, 3z, 3lo, 3f, 3s+1t<<+2lo, 2a-so

No, but her score was enough to break the Canadian record and is now in the top 10 of all times best scores, even surpassing Gracie at her best, and if eligible, would have won the US nationals last year with that score (since you so like to compare scores from previous events). More to come chuckm, ...no need to cut your nails this winter. ;)

Last edited:

millie

Medalist
Just check the Data Analysis of Katelyn's short and free skate. This shows that she can hold her own against the other skaters. At least she skated in the Grand Prix Final and came fourth. That should say something.

Lipea

Final Flight
Yes Lipea...the same was said last year regarding her hitting the 200 mark...now that ceiling's been smashed, it's all about her not being perfect... Kaetlyn's a bona fide threat and some here are just a bit ...nervous, shall we say. No surprise where this thread is going. :rolleye:

As we all have know, nothing unites people more in their fear, than hate, so bash away, bash away, bash away all!

Later.

It is not about the scores. Plenty of ladies get 200+ nowadays, the tech level has grown, the scores also became more inflated.
It is simply about that she does not perform a common among many ladies for many years already set of 7 triples. How can you even talk about "the best today" in sports for someone who simply does not have tech content? Only because she has high jumps and nice skating skills? :laugh: Not even mentioning that it was said among skaters of all categories... What? Are you crazy? It diminishes the achievements of others, truly best in the field skaters; although really not, it is not even serious.

No hate here at all as I stay away from any nationalistic bias or preferences, just simple objectivity. I don't think this discussion has any sense.

millie

Medalist
It is not about the scores. Plenty of ladies get 200+ nowadays, the tech level has grown, the scores also became more inflated.
It is simply about that she does not perform a common among many ladies for many years already set of 7 triples. How can you even talk about "the best today" in sports for someone who simply does not have tech content? Only because she has high jumps and nice skating skills? :laugh: Not even mentioning that it was said among skaters of all categories... What? Are you crazy? It diminishes the achievements of others, truly best in the field skaters; although really not, it is not even serious.

No hate here at all as I stay away from any nationalistic bias or preferences, just simple objectivity. I don't think this discussion has any sense.

Never say Never...anything can happen to THE top skaters. The ice is very slippery....for example Gracie Gold.

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
:popcorn:

Interested to hear the debate...

And for those outside Canada that don't have the history....

- She broke through the Canadian "wait your turn" ceiling that seemed to be crowning national women's champions that were not doing well elsewhere, opening the door for true competition and competitiveness

- She trains at a club that uses a very public rink in one of the largest shopping malls in the world, and loves to be in the limelight.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMyvp1rjDgR/?taken-by=kaetkiss

- She's fought back from a near-career ending leg break due to a novice skater colliding with her while she had the music and was doing a run through.

Kaetlyn's shown Canadians that she's a fierce competitor. It certain that she doesn't think that she's at the limit of her potential.

How difficult is it for her to train at a public rink in a shopping mall? That sounds challenging.

I like her a lot. She caught my eye last year and it was tough watching her struggle after learning about her injury. I'm delighted she's doing so well this year.

My only quibble is with her music -- as with Gracie Gold's LP music this year, I find her choices rather dated and unimaginative. But her choreography is fine and she really does a great job of selling her programs.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The original poster was not the one who made the claim of Osmond's greatness. She/he reported that Ryan Bradley said it on the GP broadcast.

I very much like Katelyn, but I think the best answer to that is "Ryan is entitled to his opinion, but so far it isn't backed up by results. Commentators sometimes make these broad statements to stir up discussion: sometimes they turn out to be right, and other times they turn out to be wrong. Ryan will be proved to be a prescient genius at spotting talent, or he'll be shown to be wrong. Only time will tell."

You can then proceed to tell us all the reasons Ryan is an idiot, but don't say or imply the original poster is! He/she is just reporting what he/she heard!

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

So what you are saying is, she is all about the jumps, and she will not be successful because of her jumps? If this is your argument, it sounds like an oxymoron, don't you think?

BTW, it was Ryan Bradley's words and no one on the Forum, so don't blame anyone here for what he stated and stella luna repeated. He is entitled to his opinions, just like you.

And on your last note, we can agree as, I don't think you are making sense either....Cheers!

Last edited:

stella luna

Final Flight
Thanks for the support, NanaPat. I stand by my original post. I'll leave the suggested moving of this thread to the official moderators if they see the need.

The original poster was not the one who made the claim of Osmond's greatness. She/he reported that Ryan Bradley said it on the GP broadcast.

I very much like Katelyn, but I think the best answer to that is "Ryan is entitled to his opinion, but so far it isn't backed up by results. Commentators sometimes make these broad statements to stir up discussion: sometimes they turn out to be right, and other times they turn out to be wrong. Ryan will be proved to be a prescient genius at spotting talent, or he'll be shown to be wrong. Only time will tell."

You can then proceed to tell us all the reasons Ryan is an idiot, but don't say or imply the original poster is! He/she is just reporting what he/she heard!

Daniel1998

Final Flight
As a huge Kaetlyn fan, I wouldn't agree that she's the "best skater in the world", especially when you include both men and women.

She certainly has the potential, however, to reach the podium of a huge international competition like the World Championships if she keeps progressing at this rate.

Kaetlyn's always had everything necessary to be the best lady in the world- it's just health and consistency that hasn't been there for her. Keep in mind that prior to this season she hadn't broken 120 in a free skate in international competition. She's done more triple triples this season than I ever remember, and just today scored 136 for a total of 212 points. Some people point out that she's too inconsistent to be considered for the podium, and people keep getting disappointed with her performances in the long program, saying "she blew it". But I'm very happy with her long programs this year- I'm seeing tons of progress and improvement. The fact is that this is the best, most consistent Kaetlyn Osmond we've ever seen. She's never skated long programs as well as this before, even though she's still making mistakes. And if she stays healthy, she's only going to get better. The sky's the limit.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
In terms of the SP this season, I do think she is the greatest when she skates it perfectly. She should have been placed over Medvedeva at the GPF.

But she has never shown the ability to skate a LP that is competitive with the top ladies. There are always mistakes and her LP this season is simply awful, no real connection to the music or good choreography. It's a shame.

The answer is not to increase her scores for the SP either. Getting 75 points is already too much. She may be the best of the season, but it's not one of the best programs ever. Good luck getting the judges to drop the scores to where they should be, though. Ladies skating has been destroyed. The poise, elegance, refinement, beauty, and spontaneity has been drained away. You're lucky just to get a decent program these days.

Rubono

Spectator
As a huge Kaetlyn fan, I wouldn't agree that she's the "best skater in the world", especially when you include both men and women.

She certainly has the potential, however, to reach the podium of a huge international competition like the World Championships if she keeps progressing at this rate.

Kaetlyn's always had everything necessary to be the best lady in the world- it's just health and consistency that hasn't been there for her. Keep in mind that prior to this season she hadn't broken 120 in a free skate in international competition. She's done more triple triples this season than I ever remember, and just today scored 136 for a total of 212 points. Some people point out that she's too inconsistent to be considered for the podium, and people keep getting disappointed with her performances in the long program, saying "she blew it". But I'm very happy with her long programs this year- I'm seeing tons of progress and improvement. The fact is that this is the best, most consistent Kaetlyn Osmond we've ever seen. She's never skated long programs as well as this before, even though she's still making mistakes. And if she stays healthy, she's only going to get better. The sky's the limit.

Yes. In this season, she first tries 3-3 in LP , first puts 3-3 and 2A-3T in same time, and loop becomes stable little by little. It does not means that she is fundamentally inconsistent, she is just challenging the difficult program and it does not complete yet. If she can gain more experience and improve her stamina, there is a chance to become consistent like today's Anna.

sarama

Medalist
I wouldn't read too much in what a commentator says while caught in the moment... That said Osmond might not be the best skater out there, but the amount of criticism she receives is outrageous. She is getting big scores, but compared to the field they are more than right. I think this competition was judged fairly enough, but if you look at the sheer numbers and compare them to a few seasons ago you realize that the scores (especially for ladies) have got out of control, when Satoko gets 73 for TES and Evgenia 74 for PCS, Kaetlyn's scores look totally appropriate. She was overscored in a few occasions a LONG time ago. Now she is getting what she deserves, just because she has "become relevant" at 21 instead of 15 doesn't mean she is a fluke

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Add to one thing if I could TGee,

- Kaetlyn comes from a small but very proud, mostly rural, east coast community of Canada (Newfoundland), previously not known to have produced any world class figure skaters. Despite the odds of this happening and in order to assist their daughter, the family has moved twice, to Montreal and now Edmonton to secure better training facilities and coaching, in an effort to support Kaetlyn and her passion.

Geography wise, Newfoundland is closer to the UK then it is to Edmonton, Alberta. A 5 hours flight to London versus a 9 hour flight to Edmonton. I am sure they were many sacrifices along the way, separating yourself that far from family/friends.

Last edited: