Ryan Bradley on Kaetlyn Osmond | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ryan Bradley on Kaetlyn Osmond

TGee

Record Breaker
If you want to agree with his statement than give the grounds how. Otherwise, the thread is a fan-thread, where the actual sober "discussion" is not possible.

Hi Lipea,

Seems that you didn't see that Osmond4gold intervened at the the start of the thread to note that there was a fan fest, and perhaps this reference better belonged there....

But the originator stands by his/her OP and thinks that the comment is worthy of starting a discussion. Others have noted other positive comments by Jonny Weir.

Not sure whether the intent was to say "Hey, it seems Kaetlyn's arrived in terms of being a serious contender. So let's talk about it." But that is how most of us are taking it.

I don't think that anyone has said that they unequivocally agree with Ryan Bradley, but there seem to be many who agree that it's time to start to have sober and analytical discussions of Kaetlyn as a top female athlete.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Not sure whether the intent was to say "Hey, it seems Kaetlyn's arrived in terms of being a serious contender. So let's talk about it." But that is how most of us are taking it.

Thanks for taking the high road, TGee. As usual, you have much more charity in your heart, than I! When I read a poster say, their opinions would not be appropriate in a 'FanFest', I kinda knew where this Thread was meaning to go...bless you and others for coming to her defense and offering a more balanced look at this young lady and her abilities.

I am naturally defensive on the topic as you know, and I would hate for this to end up being a convenient spot to "trash, bash and boogie", like so many other Threads on here these days. Hey, I am a dad, and 'protect' is what we do! Why should she be held accountable or belittled, for the words of another...what is the point?

Thanks again, TGee.

Last edited:

slider11

Medalist
I find Kaetlyn's jumping prowess and her improving performance skills to be mesmerizing. I really like her LP to the Italian classics. Her triple-triple at the beginning crosses the ice so high and so far. Evgenia is a charming young lady but that LP is not appealing to me. She certainly has the jumps although I find her content repetitive and lacking the true elements of superior artistry. But she's young and perhaps these things will mature.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, we're all entitled to our opinion, I guess. My opinion is that Evgenia Medvedeva is the best female skater in the world right now.

stella luna

Final Flight
OK, how do you my intent? Are you a mind reader or something?

Prior to Ryan's comment, I wondered about all of the hate for Osmond. Prior to this season I hadn't seen her skate much, and I am not Canadian. Then Ryan made the remark. My husband, a casual fan, noticed it before me. He was taken aback and said: "Hey, is she the best skater in the world? I've never heard of her."

I don't really have to justify to you why I started the thread, but it was not in an attempt to bash the skater and I certainly am not an Osmond hater. I enjoy her skating, and couldn't understand the hate. It also sounds like you are bashing Ryan, who actually paid her a compliment.

Also, if someone says something on TV, you should fully expect people to talk about it.

No complaints here...just that the original poster was asking for comments on a controversial quote from a former elite American skater, that no one really heard or has relavency, but in her objection likely surmised it could be fuel for a fire. Haters unite, "This Girl is going down!" She was right, the usual "mob" came out to negate Kaetlyn's accomplishments, as somehow unworthy...

Even Smokey the Bear would be annoyed don't you think..., as was I when I saw the original post.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
No one can say anyone is the best skater in the world right now without a bunch of people here arguing over it, much less a skater who's never won a major event and can't skate a clean LP to save her life.

Kaetlyn is mostly potential and not so much results (yet)... anything else remains to be seen and is pure speculation.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Stella luna, if I can be honest, "it" fuels a fire that was already exists. As you said, you wondered about Osmond haters, well be prepared for them to reply to a Thread like this and for some to defend her. For haters, reading your initial post, Christmas came early - time to trash bash!

Obviously, Ryan was speaking about the ladies event in the GP, and not comparing Kaetlyn to all skaters....no need to go deeper. It is just one persons opinion in a competition, enough said.

Last edited:

stella luna

Final Flight
But there's also discord about Ashley, Gracie, Mirai, Mariah ... The list goes on. Are there other skaters I shouldn't start a thread about? Should I get permission on the title of the thread? Who gets to make all of these decisions? Isn't discussion part of the purpose of this board? We're always encouraged to post when we sign up here, but there sure are a lot of people who try to control what is written.

I learned a lot from this thread, especially from the Canadians, contributing to my admiration of Osmond's skating. I'm not the one showing hate here.

Stella luna, if I can be honest, "it" fuels a fire that was already exists. As you said, you wondered about Osmond haters, well be prepared for them to reply to a Thread like this and for some to defend her. For them, reading your initial post, Christmas came early!

Obviously, Ryan was speaking about the ladies event in the GP, and not comparing Kaetlyn to all skaters....no need to go deeper. It is just one persons opinion only in a competition, enough said.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Thanks for taking the high road, TGee. As usual, you have much more charity in your heart, than I! When I read a poster say, their opinions would not be appropriate in a 'FanFest', I kinda knew where this Thread was meaning to go...bless you and others for coming to her defense and offering a more balanced look at this young lady and her abilities.

I am naturally defensive on the topic as you know, and I would hate for this to end up being a convenient spot to "trash, bash and boogie", like so many other Threads on here these days. Hey, I am a dad, and 'protect' is what we do! Why should she be held accountable or belittled, for the words of another...what is the point?

Thanks again, TGee.

There's nothing a competitor likes more from their fans than loyalty. True fans will hold their skater up when they're not having a great event. Kaetlyn has improved so much this year. People need to remember that Kaetlyn is back after a broken leg. I wonder if that ever creeps into her head. After popping my hip flexor for the final time, I had to stop doing certain moves in our shows. These injuries will sometimes effect your mind. It's kind of like a skater "Popping" a jump they've been executing for years. I haven't seen Kaetlyn's Free Program yet but, the fact that she made it to the final, is more than ANY of the Singles ladies in the US can say.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Medvedeva also has consistency in that she has been able to complete a 7-triple freeskate at every competition since her junior years. She includes in her programs jumps and combinations that she does well with little effort, and includes only one lutz (on which she gets an edge call) in the FS only. She has enough stamina to backload her programs so that she gets the highest base value possible, yet she doesn't look exhausted at the end.

Do I like her choreo or program content? No, I do not. She is far from my favorite skater. But what she does is calculated to WIN, and win she does.

Skaters who feel they can challenge Zhenia have to consider what they have to do themselves to match or exceed what she does.

Right now, Kaetlyn can't challenge Zhenia even in the SP, because she doesn't have the stamina to backload---she'd have to do all the spins and footwork up front, and save the combo for near the end to get max points. I don't think Kaetlyn could pull off the 3/3 at the end of her program.

And forget about backloading the FS: if she hasn't been able to do 3s+2t+2lo at the end of her program in four tries so far this year, she could never do a higher value jump or jump combo.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It's up to the judges to decide who's best in a competition. But Bradley's comment surprises and gladdens me that Kaetlyn is getting notice and recognition. She is a real contender and a real threat now. Bashing comes with the territory.

Kaetlyn skates big, jumps big and lands big, setting her apart from the current best Ladies except Anna. She has the air time to rotate her jumps and to flow upon landing. She has the charisma for the whole arena and the online viewers. She skates with heart at every moment of her performance and deals with her unfortunate setbacks with courage. She's got big sass on and off ice. :2thumbs:

Her return from injuries has been amazing and attention grabbing. She can proudly ignore being called inconsistent.

mrrice

Record Breaker
It's up to the judges to decide who's best in a competition. But Bradley's comment surprises and gladdens me that Kaetlyn is getting notice and recognition. She is a real contender and a real threat now. Bashing comes with the territory.

Kaetlyn skates big, jumps big and lands big, setting her apart from the current best Ladies except Anna. She has the air time to rotate her jumps and to flow upon landing. She has the charisma for the whole arena and the online viewers. She skates with heart at every moment of her performance and deals with her unfortunate setbacks with courage. She's got big sass on and off ice. :2thumbs:

Her return from injuries has been amazing and attention grabbing. She can proudly ignore being called inconsistent.

This comment deserves a giant KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!! Perfectly stated by using facts to make your point and not bashing another skater in the process. Bravo.....:cheer2:

Now, I'm off to deal with some of those meanies attacking my Patrick. Papa's has to go..:scard7:

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
This comment deserves a giant KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!! Perfectly stated by using facts to make your point and not bashing another skater in the process. Bravo.....:cheer2:

I get a giant KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM from the Chocolate Smurf!!!!!! :yahoo:

withwings

On the Ice
... I just watched a video of Osmond's performance at gala with Tarasova's comments.... my Russian is much worse than my English (neither is my native tongue) though I was able to understand that Tatiana Tarasova is very, very much impressed with Osmond's skating. She praises Kaetlyn a lot, mentions her exceptional musicality, jumping ability and etc. I have not to admit, that I have not read this tread but I assume there are lot of negativity, so it is why decided to mentioned TAT's commentaries.

Tarasova thinks that Osmond is a treat for Russian dominance in ladies single skating.

Bonnie F

On the Ice
How difficult is it for her to train at a public rink in a shopping mall? That sounds challenging.

I like her a lot. She caught my eye last year and it was tough watching her struggle after learning about her injury. I'm delighted she's doing so well this year.

My only quibble is with her music -- as with Gracie Gold's LP music this year, I find her choices rather dated and unimaginative. But her choreography is fine and she really does a great job of selling her programs.

I also agree that she has an issue with music choice and choreography imo. I always feel like she (and Gracie) are performing like a stereotypical skater should instead of really feeling the music. This seems glaring to me during her free program so different music may really help. I loved her jumps but this long program to does nothing for me. To me it is so "paint by numbers." Conversely I find many other top ladies seem to overly dramatize their programs leaving me feeling as though they are fake as well. Anna P seems to have the most genuine emotion along with difficult jumps, so I'd say she's the best to me. But saying one skater is better than another is really just a matter of taste. Standings can change based on who hits and who doesn't at a given competition. I am glad that there are several skaters now who can give Eugenia a run for her money, Osmond included. It makes figure skating really fun to watch.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
And forget about backloading the FS: if she hasn't been able to do 3s+2t+2lo at the end of her program in four tries so far this year, she could never do a higher value jump or jump combo.

Kaetlyn has now successfully completed all her existing jumps in her LP in competitions! Re 3/2/2, total best score for the element achieved was 9.15 (8.25 BV + .90 GOE), I think you best re-watch Skate Canada, chuckm, as once again your statement is not accurate.

Last edited: