Blocked videos by FujiTV | Golden Skate

Blocked videos by FujiTV

Eclair

Medalist
Is FujiTV legally allowed to claim copyright on every skating video in every language and from every broadcaster on youtube? Because that's what they did with the Men's short programs. there's not one single video of Javi, Shoma, Nathan or Spidey that was uploaded today!

Does anyone have the contacts for FujiTV's chief or his secretary? I don't think any broadcaster every did what they are doing right now...

Last edited:

NaVi

Medalist
What's really annoys me about this is that it's going to lead towards some channels being banned when they're really essential for documenting history.

Lysambre

Final Flight
This doesn't answer your question, but if you go to Dailymotion, you'll find pretty much the exact same videos, from the same people, and they don't get pulled.

To answer your question : if Fuji TV owns the rights (and is the one selling those rights to ever broadcaster out there), then they are fully within their right to protect what they own. If they don't own those rights, other broadcasters could do the exact same thing and they would be well within their rights too.
In the end, the ISU itself could make Youtube block every single skating video of an ISU competition, if they wanted to, it would also be well within their rights.

The only thing that is not within our right, is to actually illegally diffuse those videos since we don't own the rights over them. Just because it's something that happens often and that IMO is a very positive thing for the popularity of FS, it doesn't mean it's any less illegal.

Let's remember that?

Eclair

Medalist
This doesn't answer your question, but if you go to Dailymotion, you'll find pretty much the exact same videos, from the same people, and they don't get pulled.

To answer your question : if Fuji TV owns the rights (and is the one selling those rights to ever broadcaster out there), then they are fully within their right to protect what they own. If they don't own those rights, other broadcasters could do the exact same thing and they would be well within their rights too.
In the end, the ISU itself could make Youtube block every single skating video of an ISU competition, if they wanted to, it would also be well within their rights.

The only thing that is not within our right, is to actually illegally diffuse those videos since we don't own the rights over them. Just because it's something that happens often and that IMO is a very positive thing for the popularity of FS, it doesn't mean it's any less illegal.

Let's remember that?

Thank you for the quick answer. Well, does anyone know if Fuji tV indeed owns the rights and is the one selling those to other broadcasters?

I'm not encouraging people to diffuse any videos. I just think it's unreasonable to block videos from other broadcasters in other languages, if Fuji TV is only available in Japan.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Some of the Men's SP videos were pulled from DailyMotion, including Boyang, Shoma and Jason from the video thread.

Content removed - This video has been removed due to a breach of the Terms of Use.

I haven't checked all the links but doesn't seem to affect Javi, Yuzu and Patrick or Nathan's videos.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Some of the Men's SP videos were pulled from DailyMotion, including Boyang, Shoma and Jason from the video thread.

Content removed - This video has been removed due to a breach of the Terms of Use.

That usually happens for music. It's not because of FujiTV. The same thing happens to Yuzuru and Tessa & Scott's shorts.

melmel

On the Ice
Fuji TV owns the rights to broadcast IN JAPAN. That's it. The only claim they can legally have is for videos from their own broadcast (with their commentators and their logo) being put on youtube. The unedited images are not theirs, they are the ISU's.

What they are doing is honestly shocking. If Eurosport decided to take down the videos of their broadcast sure I would be annoyed but they would be within their rights. But putting down commentless and logoless videos is not within their rights.

Clearly Fujitv doesn't realize that it's a very bad idea for the sport.

I'm honestly hoping that the ISU will react and actually make the whole competitions available on their own channel (even if it's delayed) since they seem to have finally realized the potential of youtube for broadcast.

I wonder if there's a way to petition either fujitv or ISU about this issue.

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
The uploader can challenge the copyright infringement notification for videos broadcast in other language if Fuji TV does not own the rights to them. Videos will be reinstated.

Also, if Fuji TV videos qualify under "fair use" (I don't know if they do), then those can be unblocked too.

The only people who can realistically challenge Fuji is broadcasters themselves. Like CBC or NBC. How will your regular old uploader prove they have any rights to the video they're uploading?

chloepoco

Medalist
It would seem to me that a company as large as Fuji TV knows what is within their rights. Therefore, if they are pulling videos, I assume it to mean they are within their rights to do so. That would be like saying (in the U.S.), ABC, CBS, TBS, etc. don't know what their legal rights are....

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I noticed with the Junior Worlds videos, most of them became unblocked after a few days. Perhaps the same will happen with the Sr. Worlds.

I'd really like to see Jason's again, but that one is not available either on YT or DM.

magicalwords

On the Ice
The only people who can realistically challenge Fuji is broadcasters themselves. Like CBC or NBC. How will your regular old uploader prove they have any rights to the video they're uploading?

AFAIK it doesn't matter. As long as Fuji TV doesn't own the rights and are not representatives of other broadcasting stations, their claim is invalid and hence their request would be retracted.

Then again, I'm not the expert here. I'm sure there are others who can offer better insight. But I've seen a similar (not quite same) situation happen where a video was taken down due to the request from a party that did not legally own the copyrights. Claim was challenged, video was reinstated. I think people said that the alleged copyright owners would have to serve legal papers if they wanted to follow through with their copyright claim after the uploader counter-challenged.

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
AFAIK it doesn't matter. As long as Fuji TV doesn't own the rights and are not representatives of other broadcasting stations, their claim is invalid and hence their request would be retracted.

Then again, I'm not the expert here. I'm sure there are others who can offer better insight. But I've seen a similar (not quite same) situation happen where a video was taken down due to the request from a party that did not legally own the copyrights. Claim was challenged, video was reinstated. I think people said that the alleged copyright owners would have to serve legal papers if they wanted to follow through with their copyright claim after the uploader counter-challenged.

The claim is on "Audiovisual content". I am not sure how a dispute would work out. If it was just audio, you might be able to argue that the infringement is not for profit and part of a performance (though Dailymotion doesn't buy that argument). YouTube for its part wouldn't take down a video with copyrighted audio but would just mute it. But both audio and visual? I don't know what to say about that.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I've said it before and I'll say it again: copyright rules really need a reform when it comes to the internet and social media.

magicalwords

On the Ice
The claim is on "Audiovisual content". I am not sure how a dispute would work out. If it was just audio, you might be able to argue that the infringement is not for profit and part of a performance (though Dailymotion doesn't buy that argument). YouTube for its part wouldn't take down a video with copyrighted audio but would just mute it. But both audio and visual? I don't know what to say about that.

Well, all the youtube videos are "audiovisual content" :laugh: But I believe their initial DMCA claim on youtube is not the actual DMCA filing and if their claim is challenged they have about two weeks to serve legal papers to take the uploader to court. Which I'm sure they wouldn't do because they don't even own the rights in the first place.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
The only logical way to explain is that Fujin TV bought Youtube and Dailymotion rights for skating events, not all existing videos on every platform.
But really what they bought is the rights not to show any videos. Does Fuji TV ask viewers to pay to view videos hosted on its own websites?? What does Fuji TV gain banning Youtube videos targeting viewers outside of Japan?

Zora

On the Ice
It's really frustrating, how are we from Germany supposed to watch figure skating? It's not that I'm not willing to pay, I'm paying for the Eurosport player. But German Eurosport isn't showing the men's short program. Lately you can no longer switch to B.ESP. Youtube videos are blocked by FujiTV. Many videos on dailymotion are blocked for copyright reasons. Why make it impossible to watch a figure skating competition? :disapp:

Eclair

Medalist
It's really frustrating, how are we from Germany supposed to watch figure skating? It's not that I'm not willing to pay, I'm paying for the Eurosport player. But German Eurosport isn't showing the men's short program. Lately you can no longer switch to B.ESP. Youtube videos are blocked by FujiTV. Many videos on dailymotion are blocked for copyright reasons. Why make it impossible to watch a figure skating competition? :disapp:

the eurosport player has the men's short programs stored, it's just wrongly labeled as Pairs FS, but it really is the Men sp ;)
but generally speaking you are right. I had troubles watching 4cc because eurosport player didn't store all disciplines .. :palmf:

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Well, all the youtube videos are "audiovisual content" :laugh: But I believe their initial DMCA claim on youtube is not the actual DMCA filing and if their claim is challenged they have about two weeks to serve legal papers to take the uploader to court. Which I'm sure they wouldn't do because they don't even own the rights in the first place.

Legally they're two different things. Most figure skating videos don't get flagged for audiovisual. They get flagged just for audio. Of course it's a video, but the issue is music in performances or in replays. I think another poster explained it better during 4CC: they are using graphics to flag videos, not sound.

I looked up the pages relevant to copyrights claims and it's honestly not worth it for an uploader to challenge FujiTV because YouTube works on a 3 strikes you're out system. If FujiTV really wanted to serve papers I'm sure they'd make a case and YouTube may buy it.

Links
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6013276?hl=en
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2814000

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

They showed it today before the pairs live, one hour. I didn't know either and was quite surprised.