Blocked videos by FujiTV | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Blocked videos by FujiTV

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'd really like to see Jason's again, but that one is not available either on YT or DM.

There's not even an again for me. I had to sleep. I haven't seen it even once.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There's not even an again for me. I had to sleep. I haven't seen it even once.

It was glorious, even as I watched on my phone during work with the sound off (no Sam Smith wailing). I hope you'll get to see it soon!

magicalwords

On the Ice
Legally they're two different things. Most figure skating videos don't get flagged for audiovisual. They get flagged just for audio. Of course it's a video, but the issue is music in performances or in replays. I think another poster explained it better during 4CC: they are using graphics to flag videos, not sound.

I looked up the pages relevant to copyrights claims and it's honestly not worth it for an uploader to challenge FujiTV because YouTube works on a 3 strikes you're out system. If FujiTV really wanted to serve papers I'm sure they'd make a case and YouTube may buy it.

Links
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6013276?hl=en
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2814000

Just so we're clear I'm mostly talking about the blocked videos, not muted ones. I don't think it's worth/wise to challenge muted videos.

As for the blocked videos:
If FujiTV indeed owns the copyright of the videos broadcast on Russian TV/Eurosport/etc. then it'd certainly not be worth for the uploader to challenge. But does FujiTV own these rights? Is FujiTV the one that shoots the video and other broadcasters just end up feeding off of FujiTV videos? If the answer is "no", then it's okay for the uploader to challenge the copyright claim.

Zora

On the Ice
the eurosport player has the men's short programs stored, it's just wrongly labeled as Pairs FS, but it really is the Men sp ;)
but generally speaking you are right. I had troubles watching 4cc because eurosport player didn't store all disciplines .. :palmf:
Ohh... suddenly feeling better. :biggrin: Thanks for pointing that out!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Ohh... suddenly feeling better. :biggrin: Thanks for pointing that out!

They were like "Oh, we didn't plan to, but decided to show it because it was so awesome...." Well, that's nice, but show it from the start so that people actually know it's coming.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
It would seem to me that a company as large as Fuji TV knows what is within their rights. Therefore, if they are pulling videos, I assume it to mean they are within their rights to do so. That would be like saying (in the U.S.), ABC, CBS, TBS, etc. don't know what their legal rights are....

I wouldn't assume Fujitv are within their rights simply because they're a large company. In fact I think it's very likely they're overstepping. The videos coming down are taken from broadcasts by other networks, so Fuji can't own copyright in them. For example, NBC videos of 4CC were taken down.

Eclair

Medalist
They were like "Oh, we didn't plan to, but decided to show it because it was so awesome...." Well, that's nice, but show it from the start so that people actually know it's coming.
I think they planned to show it, but it got wrongly labeled in the broadcast plan as Pair's FS, even though the pairs FS hadn't started at that time. Now the men's sp is storaged under pair's fs ..

chloepoco

Medalist
I wouldn't assume Fujitv are within their rights simply because they're a large company. In fact I think it's very likely they're overstepping. The videos coming down are taken from broadcasts by other networks, so Fuji can't own copyright in them. For example, NBC videos of 4CC were taken down.

I'm not saying they're within their rights because they are a large company. What I mean is that, a large company like Fuji TV surely must have a legal department that knows what's within their rights.

Eclair

Medalist

So to summarize what have been posted so far:

If Fuji TV brought the youtube rights for figure skating OR brought the broadcasting rights and sold them to the other TV stations like NBC etc., THEN they're allowed to claim copyright on all youtube videos no matter the language or broadcaster.

Once FujiTV has claimed copyright (whether rightfully or not) only the uploader or the tv station that is holding the broadcasting rights can appall their claim.

It is a lot of work for uploader to appall the copyright claims and there's basically no hope that enough uploaders will do so.

All videos FujiTV has uploaded on it's official youtube channel cannot be accessed outside of Japan.

Now anyone have some solution to that dilemma?

Last edited:

padme21

On the Ice
It's like they are determend to ruin figure skating. How is figure skating going to grow as a sport if people no longer have access to it. They're hurting the sport really.

berry8

Final Flight
Have you ever tried Sabinfire videos or tv1dance... ??

Last edited:

Eclair

Medalist
Have you ever tried Sabinfire videos or tv1dance... ??
all men's short programs on tv1dance is down. and sabinfire hasn't uploaded anything yet. It's not a question of finding the uploaders, FujiTV just blocked every last video of the men's short (that was naturally uploaded today)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I'm not saying they're within their rights because they are a large company. What I mean is that, a large company like Fuji TV surely must have a legal department that knows what's within their rights.

I'm sure they do have a legal division. But again, I would not assume that means anything. The law is not always clear, and if there are grey areas, companies will often take action that best serves their own interests until there's a legal ruling that tells them they can't.

So to summarize what have been posted so far:

If Fuji TV brought the youtube rights for figure skating OR brought the broadcasting rights and sold them to the other TV stations like NBC etc., THEN they're allowed to claim copyright on all youtube videos no matter the language or broadcaster.

Once FujiTV has claimed copyright (whether rightfully or not) only the uploader or the tv station that is holding the broadcasting rights can appall their claim.

It is a lot of work for uploader to appall the copyright claims and there's basically no hope that enough uploaders will do so.

All videos FujiTV has uploaded on it's official youtube channel cannot be accessed outside of Japan.

Now anyone have some solution to that dilemma?

If I recall from discussion of 4CC, YouTube's content blocker is overbroad. That is, if a company like Fujitv claims copyright in its own footage of Worlds, the system automatically searches for and blocks anything that resembles it. As a result, footage of the same event comes down, even if the broadcasts are from Eurosport for example. I'm not 100% sure that's correct.

I would think the first place to start would be writing to YouTube's or DailyMotion's law departments. YouTube does not appear to allow viewers (as opposed to uploaders) the ability to dispute blocked videos, so you'd have to go about it another way. Basically I'd argue that their process is overbroad and present evidence of a lot of stuff wrongly blocked.

Trying to find contact info for their legal department may be difficult. If I have any brainstorms I'll let you know!

ETA: contact information for YouTube Legal Department:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6154232?hl=en

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I think they planned to show it, but it got wrongly labeled in the broadcast plan as Pair's FS, even though the pairs FS hadn't started at that time. Now the men's sp is storaged under pair's fs ..

Well that's what they said...that they changed the program. ;)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
You know there is one thing I find interesting. Uploaders can still view their own videos.

The only work arounds I see are either 1) Using other sites like Dailymotion or 2) If a video gets taken down on a site like Dailymotion (due to audio) to upload the video to a file sharing service like Drop Box or Google Drive.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
Confusion: Ladies' SP and Pair's SP and FS are available on Youtube (at least in Germany). Patrick Chan and Kevin Reynolds for example too.

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Has anyone tried tweeting the ISU and FujiTV directly?

https://twitter.com/fujitv/with_replies

https://twitter.com/ISU_Figure

I do wonder if the best course of action is just for the uploader to fight the claim and argue that FujiTV does not own the rights to the video to make such a claim (without mentioning that the uploader doesn't have the rights to it either). I know a few uploaders who won their disputes with companies making copyright claims.

Last edited: