2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The man of La Mancha is Don Quixote...

I never said he wasn't.

The classical/ballet piece entitled "Don Quixote" is different than what Javi is skating to, that is my point.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Then it's just exactly Don Quixote anyway.

Yes. It is the character Don Quixote. (Based on the comments I have read. I would do the translation myself, but my browser isn't up to date enough to play the video).

But it is likely not to the ballet, Don Quixote.

Hurtado & Khaliavin, on the other hand, are skating to the ballet music, I believe. And Zagitova as well.

I love the idea of Javier using a different musical source--one that is not a warhorse. And I like his potential for portraying the real heart of the character and the story. A humorous character that sees the world through a different lens. One who goes after an impossible dream and whose strength of belief is so powerful that it alters reality. The greatest story in Spanish literature. The most famous character in Spanish literature. Performed by the greatest Spanish figure skater in history.

:)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
So happy to hear Gracie is competing and has new programs!

Not sure how NBC got this wrong, but I believe correct title of her FS is La Bayadère. At least, I've never heard it referred to as La Bayadera.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Gracie Gold confirmed her programs today: http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/gracie-gold-unveils-olympic-season-programs

SP: "People" by Barbra Streisand
FS: "La Bayadera" by Ludwig Minkus

Reading that she could have skated to Lorde's music makes me slightly disappointed about those musics... Honestly I wanted Gracie to skate to something edgy for her FS because FOR ME she was never the "American ice princess" stereotype that everyone wanted her to be :unsure: But then Olympic season is safer.
I hope she continues after 2018. I'm waiting for that program Gracie :biggrin:

sarama

Medalist
I don't have high expectations for Gracie's next season, but I'm happy she is skating to People, I think it's a style that really suites her. I feel this could be her last season, and it would be nice to see her at least connected to her programs

andromache

Record Breaker
Would rather see her skate to Lorde or Beyonce, but okay, neither choice is boring or atrocious.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So happy to hear Gracie is competing and has new programs!

Not sure how NBC got this wrong, but I believe correct title of her FS is La Bayadère. At least, I've never heard it referred to as La Bayadera.

That's the first thing I thought when I saw this. The Minkus ballet is as you spelled it. And as always, my question is "Which songs?" :) I like these choices for Gracie. I was starting to get a little nervous that we hadn't heard anything. I like ballet for her FS.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I have to admit not feeling happy with Gold´s music choices for the Olympic season. I have doubts that she is able to interpret "La Bayadère" and "People" does not seem to be music which allows really great choreography... Hopefully I´m wrong.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Is Marina Zueva doing the choreography?

Yes seems so
If wasn't for POTO in 2014-15 this FS would be the fourth ballet in a row for Gracie- Sleeping Beauty, Firebird, Daphnis & Chloe and now La Bayadere, is it a sort of fixation? :drama: Please note I am saying this as a big fan of Gracie. I am afraid it is not going to showcase her strengths - speed and power, and will put her at disadvantage with skaters who made smarter choices e.g Gabi

bevybean

On the Ice
I like the idea of "People" actually since Gracie does have a good "Broadway" style. I would have preferred something a little more upbeat, but this could work. Especially if both Gracie and Marina love it. I'm not familiar with the music from La Baydere. I think there are ballet pieces out there that could show off speed and power, I just don't know if this is one of them.

sarama

Medalist
Yes seems so
If wasn't for POTO in 2014-15 this FS would be the fourth ballet in a row for Gracie- Sleeping Beauty, Firebird, Daphnis & Chloe and now La Bayadere, is it a sort of fixation? :drama: Please note I am saying this as a big fan of Gracie. I am afraid it is not going to showcase her strengths - speed and power, and will put her at disadvantage with skaters who made smarter choices e.g Gabi
I'll take any ballet over POTO especially for Gracie. I am in minority maybe, but I thought Sleeping Beauty really suited l her, and Daphne and Chloe had potential.

Tutto

Record Breaker
I'll take any ballet over POTO especially for Gracie. I am in minority maybe, but I thought Sleeping Beauty really suited l her, and Daphne and Chloe had potential.

These were good competently choreographed programs (and I agree anything is better than POTO!) but were they truly memorable? I don't think so. I am disappointed that Marina seems to follow the same old ''a beautiful girl needs a beautiful music'' and I was hoping for a change of direction - something dynamic, modern, powerful - sigh...

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I really like the LP over the SP (and I have a feeling the Gracie fans here are going to love the LP). She's been training decently, nearly getting back to form, that's about all I know right now as she's been in Colorado for a few days training and working out there.:slink:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I think there are ballet pieces out there that could show off speed and power, I just don't know if this is one of them.

It can. The cuts here are both strong & soft, but there is a lot of power in the music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC4Fm1uy5hI

Whether Gracie can do the music justice remains to be seen, but I suspect we will hear this again. It has been underused. I have expected to see it return ever since Alissa made waves with it in 2005-2006. (Someone else has probably done it since but not stuck in my memory).

Marina does ballet well. Davis & White's Gisselle, Nathan's Le Corsaire, Sinitsina & Katsalapov's Swan Lake, the Shibs' Coppelia. All very successful programs for those athletes. Gracie does not have the balletic line many of them have. But she does have speed & power, and there is room for that in La Bayadere.