Who is your favourite skater under Eteri? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Who is your favourite skater under Eteri?

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
These are all fair points just as unflattering statistics presented by other posters and myself.
I think, it's the matter of finding a golden mean between looking after young pupils' health and being demanding, innovative and successful. It's a bit bothering, we (and Eteri) may find it out only in even longer period of time and injuries, but maybe there are no other ways to achieve excellence?

Maybe between 2018 and 2022 Eteri will have 0 injuried skaters, because she's acquired enough knowledge already? :think:

We'll see, they improved almost everything, but 0 injuries with that many skaters i don't think it's possible.

Kostornaya had never even skated internationally before until working with Eteri. (FWIW, I like Kostornaya's polish and expression, but her lack of speed kills me.)

Polina S., Adian, Yulia, Serafima - all had pretty good to overwhelming success at the junior or senior level with Eteri. They then began to struggle or got injured, and subsequently were never again able to find success. Liza T. struggled immensely with puberty, and has had more struggles since winning her World title, but Mishin has always supported her, including bringing her from the low point of 2013-2014 to winning a world title in 2015. What is even worse is that Eteri does not take any responsibility - she blames puberty or the student's attitude.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Polina T. I adore her skating, so I hope she is able to make a comeback under Eteri or another coach.

She has never blamed Serafima, Adian and both Polina.

When i said that she is not the best psychologist i wasn't joking, Mishin is a good guy but he is also old: he's not producing the best skaters as he used to do in the past, so he has the time and the patience to wait.

Eteri wants to work with motivated skaters, and if you are not that's the door: she said it publicly to Julia when she moved to Urmanov, but i think when you're facing puberty or things aren't working for you, it's easy to get frustrated and even think to leave the sport. They (because Averbukh was also rude) could have handled better the situation.

Polina T. despite all her issues wants to continue to skate and compete at an high level, that's why she's still there.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Kostornaya had never even skated internationally before until working with Eteri. Her skating can hardly be judged as having been "struggling" when she had never before had major success.

Yes, having major injury that can end your career is not struggling, of course, please do tell this to Kostornaya if you ever meet her, and of course not having skated internationally somehow reduces her struggles. As well as Eteri's team work to build this young talent back up. Which btw, is what you asked about. Without all the sudden caveats because oops, such a person exists.

andromache

Record Breaker
Yes, having major injury that can end your career is not struggling, of course, please do tell this to Kostornaya if you ever meet her, and of course not having skated internationally somehow reduces her struggles. As well as Eteri's team work to build this young talent back up. Which btw, is what you asked about. Without all the sudden caveats because oops, such a person exists.

I'm not going to feed the trolling. I have expressed my opinion. Kostornaya is at the very beginning of her career - she is completely different than a skater who has had international success and only then begun to struggle. Eteri is a great coach, but when her coaching methods stop working, it's clear that they do not adapt to support students whose needs change.

I'm not going to apologize for daring to criticize her, and I have even agreed with other things her defenders have said. I'll continue to engage in thoughtful discussion and debate, but not with anyone who deliberately misunderstands me just in order to try and "win" a meaningless argument.

Lana05

Final Flight
:eek:topic: Really everything that guys write about coaching team is off topic. This thread is about her skaters... But it seems Eteri is more popular than her students here.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I think one can respect Eteri as a coach and admire some of her traits while also recognizing that she has flaws and acknowledging that she may have made mistakes in her coaching career. Surely all coaches have. It's exhausting when people want to make this into a black & white "evil Eteri" vs "perfect Eteri who can do wrong and haters are just jealous!!!" argument. I am still bitter about Adian not because he got injured, but because of the lack of empathy she showed and because of the way he was pressured into competing injured over & over again. And not only at major competitions, but rather insignificant ones. Yes, I criticized her for that and I stand by it. However, Eteri is still pretty young as coaching careers go and she is certainly smart enough to learn & grow from her mistakes. Most of her skaters I like a lot, some do nothing for me. There are so many and they really are a diverse group - hardly robots from a "factory" (many of the programs look factory-produced, though...). We don't know which of her younger skaters will survive into seniors right now, but you can say that about every other coach too.

charlotte14

Medalist
Kostornaya had never even skated internationally before until working with Eteri. Her skating can hardly be judged as having been "struggling" when she had never before had major success. (FWIW, I like Kostornaya's polish and expression, but her lack of speed kills me.)
Kostornaya is among the fastest junior ladies right now.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I miss Adian!! That dude was my absolute favorite male skater not named Yuzu for certain. His spins were a treat. Too bad really :cry:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
It's exhausting when people want to make this into a black & white "evil Eteri" vs "perfect Eteri who can do wrong and haters are just jealous!!!" argument. I am still bitter about Adian not because he got injured, but because of the lack of empathy she showed and because of the way he was pressured into competing injured over & over again.

It's inevitable when you have a constant flow of attacks with epithets like "atrocious" to counterbalance it, hence you revert to "black-n-white situation". And I think no one here ever said that she is perfect. The best ladies coach? Yes, but this is sort of objective. And when we come to injuries no one else was scrutinized like she is.

I don't know all the details about Pitkeev. It's sad that he had to finish his career. What if? I don't know. May be he would be another Hanyu - may be not. The only proxy I can think of is Nam Nguen who is doing OK but nothing stellar. She used some harsh and may be undeserved rhetoric about Adjan - I do not approve it. Still I think it's unfair to generalize after this case - we don't know the details: was it his decision or she pushed him hard, what was the role of parents, etc. Once again, no matter what results she can bring very few junior skaters and their parents would trust her as a coach if the risk of becoming an invalid with her were much higher than average for this sport. But they not only trust - I am sure there is a long line of those who are willing her to accept them.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It's inevitable when you have a constant flow of attacks with epithets like "atrocious" to counterbalance it, hence you revert to "black-n-white situation". And I think no one here ever said that she is perfect. The best ladies coach? Yes, but this is sort of objective. And when we come to injuries no one else was scrutinized like she is.

I don't know all the details about Pitkeev. It's sad that he had to finish his career. What if? I don't know. May be he would be another Hanyu - may be not. The only proxy I can think of is Nam Nguen who is doing OK but nothing stellar. She used some harsh and may be undeserved rhetoric about Adjan - I do not approve it. Still I think it's unfair to generalize after this case - we don't know the details: was it his decision or she pushed him hard, what was the role of parents, etc. Once again, no matter what results she can bring very few junior skaters and their parents would trust her as a coach if the risk of becoming an invalid with her were much higher than average for this sport. But they not only trust - I am sure there is a long line of those who are willing her to accept them.

i agree with a lot of these things... but it is important to consider a few factors though... a lot of young athletes have the "magical thinking" meaning that they believe that they will be "okay" "safe from injury" ... "nothing bad will happen to them"... and some parents are the same... they think "we will keep an eye on the kid" "we will make sure that they remain healthy" ... etc....

also.... in highly competitive settings, a lot of minor injuries are not revealed to parents, coaches, physios... etc.... and often, what starts as a small pain/strain can result into a much larger problem..... kids often are afraid of admitting that they are in pain or injured because they don't want to be sidelined.

Roman09

Final Flight
can we put the names list, just so we can remember her army skaters :palmf:

seniors:
Evgenia Medvedeva
Alina Zagitova
Polina Tsurskaya

juniors:
Alexandra Trusova
Anna Scherbakova - pending upon recovery from an injury
Alena Kostornaya
Daria Panenkova
Anastasia Tarakanova

and novices:
Elizaveta Medvedeva - http://www.fskate.ru/skaters/5199.html https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZsHa2GVQNg
Natalia Khabibullina - http://www.fskate.ru/skaters/3769.html https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlZCBEFvbLY
Diana Guseva - http://www.fskate.ru/skaters/3364.html https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-YCGlAKLFg

Maybe these are future Eteri stars? :scratch2:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I'm not going to feed the trolling. I have expressed my opinion. Kostornaya is at the very beginning of her career - she is completely different than a skater who has had international success and only then begun to struggle. Eteri is a great coach, but when her coaching methods stop working, it's clear that they do not adapt to support students whose needs change.

I'm not going to apologize for daring to criticize her, and I have even agreed with other things her defenders have said. I'll continue to engage in thoughtful discussion and debate, but not with anyone who deliberately misunderstands me just in order to try and "win" a meaningless argument.

Eh.... what exactly was apparently trolling about Yatagarasus post? I don't understand at all why having to go through an injury like Alyonas can't be considered struggling just due to her age or international success prior to it. Alyona was very much 'a thing' nationally before she had that injury and went to Eteri. Just because she wasn't known internationally doesn't mean she didn't have some level of success that suddenly was threatened by an injury. And it took her so long to get back to form, her future was unsure... how is that not struggling? To be frank I find it quite belittling of her tough experiences.

And why is it so much better from a coaches side to help a skater through an injury they required under them compared to taking in an injured skater? I really see no difference in the 'value' achieved at the end.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker

No. Maybe E. Medvedeva, but others? Btw, where's Eva Novakhova? Khabibulina is barely landing 3-3 combo and she is already 13 yo. I know only one girl from Eteri's group which is definitely will have the bright future. She will be the next girl who will land a quad jump: Sofia Akatieva. She is only 10 yo. But already does all jumps. Her rotation in the air is so fast, she'll do quads.

Video (old, she's only 9yo there): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiPKC7Ig3vo
Recent short program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-BH3JWAQ5U
Recent free program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSj1bIO5smc

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Kostornaya is at the very beginning of her career - she is completely different than a skater who has had international success and only then begun to struggle. Eteri is a great coach, but when her coaching methods stop working, it's clear that they do not adapt to support students whose needs change.

Kostornaya used to be one of the strongest girls in her age group, right there with Trusova, Tarakanova and Scherbakova. There's no more "success" you can get at 10-11 y.o. in such a deep field. The she missed almost an entire season because of an injury and last season was only 16th (!) at Junior Nationals of 18 girls. I remember some discussion on forums like "oh, such a pity, she used to be so strong, but she has no future in singles now, what a shame if she retires, maybe she could try pairs or something". What's that if not "need for support and change"? And look at her now. She wins Open Moscow with such impressive skating that gets JGP spot immediately (and a win there doesn't guarantee you anything, Panenkova last season in similar situation didn't get a spot in a weaker field than now), she wins it too and now her score is the highest junior score this season

atsumiri

Record Breaker
i love all of them. all they are so amazing. All they are so different! :love:

my total favorites right now.
Evgenia in seniors
Sasha in juniors. and Anna

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
You forgot Shelepen. She also got injured while having Tutberidze. And Lipnitskaya had concussion in the season before the Olympic season.

Gabriella Papadakis had a concussion. Ashley Wagner has had them too. Is her coach to blame?

Injuries are serious but they happen with different coaches at all levels of the sport. A skater can injure themselves learning a triple-triple combination. They can also get injured learning a single axel. Does that mean her coach is too strict on her for trying to get her to the next level?

It is of course the coach's responsibility to monitor the health of their skater. But there's something to be said about the risk of injuries that is bound to be a factor when developing elite athletes.

Back when elite athletes were learning triples, I'm sure many were concerned with the risk of doing triples.

Now the case is with quads and 3-3 combos. If Eteri is "forcing" skaters like Adian to learn quads and is tough on him it's because she knows it's needed to compete. If you are a coach with the highest standards why would you bother keeping skaters who don't do what it takes to win?

In that GS interview, when she was asked something to the effect of what changed in Russian girls skating and the level of competitiveness, Eteri rather matter of factly said "I came back to Moscow." Kind of a dig at Russian coaches who had gone soft on Russian skaters and these skaters weren't dominating the way they could be (and now are).

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Talking about juniors, I love all of them and it's not easy to decide which one is my favorite at the moment. Each has a very own style and look promising in a way. Trusova's performing ability, Tarakanova's fierceness, Daria's jumps... All of them are amazingly good. But after watching all their JGP performances over and over I suppose I've found the one I enjoy watching the most: Kostornaya! She looks like a mature lady even at this stage of her career. Her movements look really beautiful and not rushed, her programs have right amount of transitions. She doesn't look like a point hunting skater at all! To have that natural 'skating for a beautiful skate' look is not easy in that age.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
You forgot Shelepen. She also got injured while having Tutberidze. And Lipnitskaya had concussion in the season before the Olympic season.

Shelepen, in fact, got injured in CSKA, not with Tutberidze. Lipnitskaya's concussion is a complete accident, she fell entering a spin, not even a triple jump

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Shelepen, in fact, got injured in CSKA, not with Tutberidze. Lipnitskaya's concussion is a complete accident, she fell entering a spin, not even a triple jump

Speaking of CSKA and injuries, we could also mention Adelina, Alexandra Proklova, Zhan Bush, Artur Gachinski...

FSGMT

Record Breaker

Can anyone provide a link or something of the harsh things she said of Adian's injuries/retiring? :think:
(I'm not questioning your assertions, I just didn't pay enough attention to the case at the time, so I'm simply curious)

russianfan

Match Penalty
No. Maybe E. Medvedeva, but others? Btw, where's Eva Novakhova? Khabibulina is barely landing 3-3 combo and she is already 13 yo. I know only one girl from Eteri's group which is definitely will have the bright future. She will be the next girl who will land a quad jump: Sofia Akatieva. She is only 10 yo. But already does all jumps. Her rotation in the air is so fast, she'll do quads.

Video (old, she's only 9yo there): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiPKC7Ig3vo
Recent short program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-BH3JWAQ5U
Recent free program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSj1bIO5smc

it would be so funny if we would get another strong skater with last name Medvedeva.
Some people can't handle one Medvedeva, imagine the outrage if there will be two of them :laugh2: