Does your favourite performance belong to your favourite skater? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Does your favourite performance belong to your favourite skater?

It's ok many people don't know them, you probably have to be either British or much, much older to really know them.
This program was more than iconic. It left a lasting legacy on the sport. Let's revisit the question in 50 years and see whether the newbys have left as indellible a mark.

Proptopopov and Belousova, perhaps, had a similar impact on the sport, in the pairs discipline, although in their case it was their body of work rather than any particular performance that elevates them. They were still performing -- gorgeously and innovatively -- in their seventies.

Now Sonja Henie -- OK, I'm not THAT old ;) -- but where would the sport be without her bebfaction?

Last edited:

Sabsi

On the Ice
Yuna Kim is my all time favorite, i know every step of every single choreography, every look, every moment of her on the ice... but if i could name one performance it would be without any question Yuzuru Hanyu's 2018 Olympic free skate so „Seimei“.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
el henry , it might be a linguistic nuance. In English it is ice dance and pairs, in some other languages it is both "pairs" (indicating it is teams made of two people) with different adjectives for "dance pairs" and these other "pairs" :)

Quite valid point; the only languages other than English I know well enough to read or write about figure skating are Romance languages, and they all have separate categories for pairs and ice dance.

Also, I am very cautious (and I am *not* saying this happened here, I am saying it is why I am cautious) because sometimes posters have answered my good faith attempts at explanations with answers that made it clear they thought they were too cool for school, being what they thought was hip and ironic, whatever.

Now if someone thinks they are the soul of irony, who am I to judge? But I would rather not engage, and that is why I ask, in good faith and politely I hope, before continuing. :)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
el henry , it might be a linguistic nuance. In English it is ice dance and pairs, in some other languages it is both "pairs" (indicating it is teams made of two people) with different adjectives for "dance pairs" and these other "pairs" :)

I can't remember what country / language it was, but I very nearly got caught out like that when looking at an Entries / Results page and one of the categories was called something that made me think it was the other category. But, I was saved by the colour-coding!

The same here. But I got accustomed to use "couple" or "team" for ID in case it's not clear I don't mean a pairs pair.

Funnily enough, I try to avoid those two terms at all costs.

When I hear "couple" being used, I always think that that implies that the skaters are in a relationship. And whilst it is true that some skaters are seeing the person they are skating with, that is not always the case. Many aren't. And in the cases of those that are not seeing each other, it does seem somewhat inappropriate to describe them as a "couple".

As for "team", to me that term is best used to describe the people from the same club / rink that the skaters belong to, or the same country that they represent.

Personally, I like to use "partnership" for both Pairs skaters and Ice Dancers. I agree that using the same term for two different categories does have the potential to cause confusion, but that can be got around by specifically saying "Pairs partnership" or "Ice Dance partnership".

Maybe I'm just odd, though.

CaroLiza_fan

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I can't remember what country / language it was, but I very nearly got caught out like that when looking at an Entries / Results page and one of the categories was called something that made me think it was the other category. But, I was saved by the colour-coding!

Funnily enough, I try to avoid those two terms at all costs.

When I hear "couple" being used, I always think that that implies that the skaters are in a relationship. And whilst it is true that some skaters are seeing the person they are skating with, that is not always the case. Many aren't. And in the cases of those that are not seeing each other, it does seem somewhat inappropriate to describe them as a "couple".

As for "team", to me that term is best used to describe the people from the same club / rink that the skaters belong to, or the same country that they represent.

Personally, I like to use "partnership" for both Pairs skaters and Ice Dancers. I agree that using the same term for two different categories does have the potential to cause confusion, but that can be got around by specifically saying "Pairs partnership" or "Ice Dance partnership".

Maybe I'm just odd, though.

CaroLiza_fan
For me, "partnership" can have the same connotations as "couple" I agree with you that neither couple nor team is an ideal way to describe two people skating together. How about "duo"?

I think that my favorite all-time pairs program is Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze's Olymoic SP Calipha.

But I was a Sale and Pellitier fan (actually a Lori Nichol fan) and was hoping that they would win.

Last edited:

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love Tai & Randy but my favorite pairs skate ever is Gordeeva/Grinkov 1988 FS to Mendelssohn, followed by their 1989 FS to Die Fledermous

i love when Toller Cranston talks of how she lands a throw as if she dropped down from Heaven

Last edited:

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My favorite ladies

Janet Lynn 1973

Michelle Kwan Desdemona SP

Romanza SP

Last edited:

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think that my favorite all-time pairs program is Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze's Olymoic SP Calipha.

But I was a Sale and Pellitier fan (actually a Lori Nichol fan) and was hoping that they would win.
Oh my they are among my favorites also. I was rooting for them ever since I first saw her getting chucked around at Skate America by her former partner who did not appreciate her.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, for me, it's Todd Eldredge's "First Knight" (1996 Worlds). Several years ago, I got really excited when another USA skater (Marcus Mimidis) skated to the music from "First Knight." It happened @ the Liberty Summer Competition in Aston, PA. I got to talk to him & told him how excited I was to hear it (& why). Now, when it comes to "1492," I really loved when Hartshorn & Sweiding skated to it (and that was actually the first time I heard the music as we haven't seen the movie). I loved Elvis Stojko's performances to it, & I was thrilled when Todd skated to it @ 2001 Worlds.

As for another favorite, I will always associate "JFK" with Paul Wylie!

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Off the top of my head, Nathan Chen is one of my favorite male skaters and his 2021 Worlds free skate is one of my favorite performances. Anna Shcherbakova is one of my favorite female skaters and her 2022 Olympics free skate is also one of my favorite performances.
Nathan Chen and La Boheme was my favorite