2018 US Championships Sr. Free Dance | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr. Free Dance

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When I started watching tonight I had a feeling that H/D were going to win, something about the look on their faces during warm-up. I'm happy for them. I have no clear favourite among these three wonderful teams that stood on the podium.

Zach put out the idea that they were going to win and the universe tried to manifest it. Bradie wished upon a star and a dream came true. Ashley's lyrics included here's to the mess we made and Jason had The Room where it happens...you can't make this stuff up

auser

Record Breaker
Was it a MASSIVE earthquake that just happened ? Things like this usually never happen. SO glad for HD, well deserved victory. Hard to take for both other teams. That doesn't mean the Olys outcome will be alike though.
It is tantalizing how close the scores are between the top 3 teams. Great for interest in USA ice dance imho :)

Exposed

Match Penalty
Wow after three years of being third Madi and zach finally have a national title! hats off to them! lowkey worried about the shibs tho.....:slink:

Lissy

Medalist
envious for your experience! Could You just tell fresh from it if Madison/Zach's FD performance really felt this magnetic like it was on screen?:)

It was magical. I felt a litttle in a trance watching their performance. Just wonderful

cell

On the Ice
I'm sorry but some of the judging is ODD. H/D should have been first in the FD, by the simple execution and element quality of it. Despite Maia's mistake, Chock/Bates when clean are much closer to a 114 than to a 119 and that's not to take anything from them. Do the judges wants to make us believe that they are so close ? because 1 and 2 are in another league WHEN CLEAN.

Why exactly are they in another league. Internationally Chock and Bates also won the GPF FD over these 2.

TCAngel18

Medalist
The difference to me, between Madi and Zach and the other two top teams, is honesty. They are honest with themselves on what their strengths are, and ONLY skate with their strengths.

They do not try to improve their weaknesses, and I say that in the best way. They don’t tackle things that are outside of their wheelhouse, if you will. They try to be the best ice dancers THEY can be, not the best ice dancers overall. They also have been able to really hone in on nuance, as they often work the romantic/sensual aspect of ice dance.

Chock and Bates, to me, try to experiment with different styles to improve their overall dance ability, to try not to lose what they had. They have been at a standstill for a few years, and other teams have passed them since 2015.

The Shibs, in my opinion, also have done the above earlier in their career, because they are inherently limited in what direction they can go in dance, being siblings. They finally found a vehicle they can work with 2 years ago, and created a narrative around that, of a journey through music. Fix you felt fresh and breathtaking. However, Paradise feels contrived. Also, the piece itself is repetitive as all get out, and doesn’t allow for great highlights.

rain

Record Breaker
If H/B keep improving and start being consistent judges will have no reason not to set them up as challengers to the big 3 in US Dance.

Yes, the problem for these two is that it looked like they were on their way up a couple of years ago, and then it didn't happen. It didn't happen because they didn't skate well enough to make it happen. If they can put together a few more free dances like that, they will rise.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Why exactly are they in another league. Internationally Chock and Bates also won the GPF FD over these 2.

Speed, deep edges in particular. C/B used to have a lot more speed, now, not as much as before (injury ? Madi's ankle was strapped during the GPF), but the 2 others have more speed (reports live : Shibs are fast on the ice, H/D are immensly fast on the ice). Ice coverage too (again live reports). H/D have power and huge edges, Shibs have a lot of precision. C/B sometimes (let's face it) are falling a bit flat to some of their steps. Their twizzles are very tentative and slow (and that was not reflected).

They have the better lifts however, that's not up for debate.
Anyway, congrats to them, at least they skated VERY clean.

Procrastinator

On the Ice
I hope the international judges get the message here and realize that the bronze medal battle should only be among the American teams; The Russians, and especially the Italians, are not at this level.

Still, a surprising amount of crossovers and two-foot skating from the top American teams. And the Shibs, as the presumptive #1 US team, are not particularly strong interpreters or evenly-matched skaters.

For OG team event: Shibs should do the short, H/D the free.

icekiwi

On the Ice
This is a corrrect result in my opinion.

When comes to FD, passion and emotion plays a big part. H/D were 'smouldering' from the start of the 'Rhumba' in the Short Dance, didn't stop and carried all the way to the Free Dance. Also, technically Maddison Hubbell has the best edge quality and the better skater of the 3 ladies and Zach just presented her so so well.

The Shibutanis - Presentation wise - their eyes were looking down a lot in this Free Dance. Alex presented Maia well but just lacking in that 'passion' factor which is crucial in a Free Dance. Their twizzles are always a highlight of their programs but in a long program (3 1/2 minutes?), once that is done, there is nothing else.

Chock/Bates - This season, their programs are the weakest I have ever seen. It doesn't help that Maddison Chock is the weakest skater of the 3 ladies. 'Imagine' just feels archaic and the program itself is rather bland. H/D should have won the FD overall by 2 points and definitely higher PCs than both C/B and Shibs.

larat

On the Ice
I hope the international judges get the message here and realize that the bronze medal battle should only be among the American teams; The Russians, and especially the Italians, are not at this level.

Still, a surprising amount of crossovers and two-foot skating from the top American teams. And the Shibs, as the presumptive #1 US team, are not particularly strong interpreters or evenly-matched skaters.

For OG: Shibs should do the short, H/D the free.

Totally agree about two foot skating. I was also wondering about it. I noticed Bates was on two feet a lot during the step sequence

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ok, who has a link to this dramatic podium ceremony?

I want to see all the smiles and the fake smiles.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really did like the musical changes the Shibs made. The theme seemed more cohesive, the execution just needs a bit more mileage to clean it up. I could hear the lyrics better as well.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, Hubbell/Donohue as US Champions is my dream scenario! It is FINALLY their time!!