That was the worst SP ever for US women (OG) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

That was the worst SP ever for US women (OG)

Warwick360

Medalist
Alina's JW FS gets 62.21 PCS, Exact same program at Euros gets 75.20 PCS.
Zagitova did the exact same program. So tell me where this 13 point difference in PCS comes from.

While I like Zagitova, I can sort of see the above commentator's point. Why do judges/the ISU body keep insisting on giving greater scores based on increased reputation, and not on incremental changes to the program? Either give the greater score (or close to it) right when she was a junior, or rather bring her current PCS much closer to her junior days when she introduced the program.

But either way, I can't give much care about it. All I'm waiting for is the demolition derby that is the Free Skates. :clap:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Back to U.S. Ladies.. I think Bradie has potential. She needs better packaging and more international exposure and Karen has some wonderful talents that if she gets the technical help to rotate her jumps she will be able to showcase.

Basho

Rinkside
To back to the original question, I think it's a matter of dedication. Eat, breathe and sleep skating and nothing else and I think young Russian skaters are probably required to make a contract to do this or leave the program. Get the kind of discipline and life-style that is completely tuned to one thing only and the excellence of it. Like ballet is or used to be........it is your life to aim for this perfection.

russianfan

Match Penalty
Americans have been blessed with an abundance of very talented women skaters over the years. Nearly every other country has been through peaks and troughs. Maybe this is just that time for America and they will come back strongly again.

It's quite possible, there is a very promising junior girl in USA, the only her problem is that she tends to prerotate a lot on some of the jumps. But considering her age she's got enough time to improve even further by the time she will be eligible for JGP. So may be in 2-3 years we will see a new talent rising in the USA.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wish Karen Chen would get a new coach. Her current coach is no help to her at all.

Imagine

Medalist
1). It could be that the Russian and Japanese coaches have realized that the best way to guarantee success is to start early. The sport has now reached a level where you need those 3-3's to be even remotely competitive. It's easier for younger bodies to do, and so that's when they'll learn them. The US is kinda stuck in the past. They were winning a lot before the new judging system, but now it's become evident that relying on PCS is not a guarantee anymore, as that is all subjective. Tech is undeniable, and it's where the most advancement is being made (Eteri now having quad jumpers in development), and really just a simple math problem. I think the US will catch on very soon, as the message has been made very clear by the rest of the competition.

2). I think Yuna was 19. The fact is, she brought the tech to win with the 3-3's that made her invincible in her time. Mao was going with a different strategy with her 3A's, and so its not surprising they finished 1,2. Same story with Alina, she realized that backloading presents a huge advantage, even without the gratuitous component scores. So if she's physically able, why wouldn't she take advantage of the rules? It's a sport.

3). That's not what they wanted to happen...Kwan was supposed to be coronated. It's not like they "focused" more on the youngsters to coerce a win for them somehow. Things just happened that way.

The US ladies did not become worse imo. Everyone else just got better. Of course, they gave terrible performances yesterday (well, at least Karen did...I did not see Bradie because she was too early and Mirai only messed up the 3A), but if they went clean, they still could have been somewhat competitive (maybe even top 5 at best). The Canadians ladies didn't do so well last time around, and look where they are now? So it's definitely possible for the "older" ladies to come back and do well. But you also have to stay competitive on the technical side of things, rather than relying on this nebulous concepts of superior maturity and experience. You also can't say that the ISU doesn't reward older skaters when you look at the kinds of scores they hand out to Carolina for objectively flawed performances. And even if they were to be (rightfully, or not) rewarded PCS wise, they still shouldn't win if the technical components are not there. If that were to happen, then all the people who constantly say figure skating is not a real sport will have a much stronger case.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
It's quite possible, there is a very promising junior girl in USA, the only her problem is that she tends to prerotate a lot on some of the jumps. But considering her age she's got enough time to improve even further by the time she will be eligible for JGP. So may be in 2-3 years we will see a new talent rising in the USA.

Do you think Eteri's approach would work in the North America? Parents tend to be very involved here and I've always got the impression that Eteri frowns on that.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think Bradie is someone who could make a move upwards in the next few years. She is someone who could actually do a backloaded program with good choreography, which is the winning formula right now. Now that she is the US champion, she will have greater access to the best choreographers that can help her find her artistic identity.

MiRé

Match Penalty
What a great effort to skew the topic into an international anti-US conspiracy! What do Zagitova's scores have to do with lack of depth among US ladies???

Not really. I'm just pointing out that the reason US ladies seem to be "lacking" is not really because they don't have the tech content, rather, they are having a hard time delivering their programs when it matters, and their PCS is not given high enough when it should be. If Zagitova is receiving 37 PCS, Karen Chen should be given as close to that.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well, isn't Christine Brennan just the little ray of sunshine? I suppose if they'd listened to her and sent Ashley Wagner, the result would have been much different? Not.

This is not the time for an article like this. I don't think it will inspire the American ladies in the long program, quite the opposite.

It really isn't fair to only mention the marks of the Russian leaders, who are clearly in a different category than the other competitors. Nagasu is about 6 points behind Sakamoto, who skated a clean program, and 2 points behind Daleman, last year's worlds bronze medalist.

There will be plenty of time after the Olympics to discuss what went wrong. At that point Christine Brennan should look in the mirror and see how much she has contributed to the problems, if indeed they're still perceived as problems.

Do you think Eteri's approach would work in the North America? Parents tend to be very involved here and I've always got the impression that Eteri frowns on that.

I don't think Eteri's approach as a whole is something that needs to be copied. But making the parents less involved and developing a strong psyche in the athletes to start making decisions making or the coach having the final say is something that might be desirable?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I don't think Eteri's approach as a whole is something that needs to be copied. But making the parents less involved and developing a strong psyche in the athletes to start making decisions making or the coach having the final say is something that might be desirable?

I think it so depends on the athlete. Some of them need their parents for longer than others. I do think you need to leave the nest at some point. I'm not sure 12 is that age, personally. But then I'm not a parent with a child who has huge potential or the drive to be a champion.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
This is not the time for an article like this. I don't think it will inspire the American ladies in the long program, quite the opposite.

It really isn't fair to only mention the marks of the Russian leaders, who are clearly in a different category than the other competitors. Nagasu is about 6 points behind Sakamoto, who skated a clean program, and 2 points behind Daleman, last year's worlds bronze medalist.

I would agree with this. Let them skate the long before we declare the death of US ladies skating.

Mawwerg

Final Flight
Among all current US skaters only Mirai and Bradie demonstrate some efforts to be competitive. I hope they continue progressing and reach the top. All others unfortunately look completely unmotivated.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Russians finished 9th and 10th in 2010. Skating is cyclical. Russians are on top now but won't be forever. Will the US ladies come back? It's certainly possible. Gracie Gold had the talent to be at the top. Why isn't it possible that another, equally talented skater (but without the emotional issues) will arise? Didn't we see this in men's skating with Nathan Chen?