World Gold or Olympic Silver? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

World Gold or Olympic Silver?

sowcow

On the Ice
Here is your honest and right answer

That's not what we are talking about. It was said that Med has more popularity with oly silver than Adelina with Oly gold. It has nothing to do with who was going to worlds and who not. In the moment she beat Kim at the olympics, it was over for Adelina, bc the figure skating community decided that she should be hated no matter what she is doing. She came back a year later to fight (your words), did it change anything? No. She never had a chance, bc she wasn't as popular as Kim going into the olympics

Actually no. The correct answer was given by Warwick360 in response to the incorrect answer above...

She never had the chance because she was not capable. Even with much kindness of judges on her return, it still amounted to nothing. Hardly got much to do with general skating community.

Sportfan

Match Penalty
Do not think so... I am not Russian. :)

???

Anyway, that's how it is. In the end, it doesn't matter what you think about Sochi. Athletes are doing sport for themselves, bc it's their job, not for us or our entertainment. If you want to decide who shuld win something based on who you like/popularity, then watch X Factor :rolleye:

It does not matter what the athletes think of it and how much hype there is, the Olympics are not a big title to just the sport itself... It was made for amateurs, but just because it extended to the professionals didn't mean it gain any SPORT significance... We will just agree to disagree...

I guess I am not understanding what you mean when you say SPORT significance. I also guess I don't understand what the reference to professionals and amateurs has to do with anything.

Whatever the sport, you hold a big tournament and invite everyone far and wide to come and compete. Someone wins and is the champion in that sport for that year. That is SPORT significance. Or do I mean SPORT SIGNIFICANCE?

MIM

Medalist
I will take Olympic Silver. Silver looks better on my skin tone. ;)

I will think about the World gold when it comes in as rose gold. :luv17:

Lol. That would be so not true, especially in an Olympic year when many top skaters forgo the World competition.

Quite true. Whoever wins the biggest tournament of the year deserves to call himself the champ. In an Olympic year the Olympic champion is the champ. In a non-Olympic year the skater who wins Worlds is the champ. I think it is safe to say that Eugenia Medvedeva was the skater of the year for 2016-17, and Alina Zagitova for 2017-18.

Whether that person is actually "the best" in the opinion of Internet fans -- well, that is kind of irrelevant, to me.

MalAssada

Medalist
I will take Olympic Silver. Silver looks better on my skin tone. ;)

I will think about the World gold when it comes in as rose gold. :luv17:

I was going to make that joke...

Maybe because the Brazilian culture is quite different to the countries represented in this forum, I would pick the Olympic silver. Whenever I watch Brazilian athletes competing at big comps, I see them succeed in trials and absolutely implode when there are medals at stake. During the Olympics, I was just wishing team Brazil in gymnastics didn't place last. They qualified in 5th place. They placed last.

Because of that, I do not see 2nd as 1st loser. I would just be thrilled to have placed so well.

In addition, Olympics happen every 4 years. If I mess up there, there's a chance I won't be competing/won't qualify 4 years down the road. That's a lot of time.

MIM

Medalist
Side note;
I am listening to press conference after men's lp.
Olynpic Silver Medalist, Shoma and World Gold Medlaist, Nathan are praising each other.

Nathan says Shoma's quad flip/loop and artistry motivated him. He also sympathizes with Shoma, acknowledging his injury. And he added,
"...I am happy with what I did, take it as a win for today, and move on to the next to improve myself cause I know these guys are gonna work hard as well."

Shoma says;
"Not as a skater, but also as a person I root for Nathan and Mikhail. Nathan is an all-round skaters...."

Men's competition was far from the best, but their press conference is. Every medalist is so articulate with good manners for so young.

khanhhung2512

Rinkside
This comparison is not fair.
Adelina never had a chance, bc of the Yuna Kim supporters who are still very loud, calling her names and spreading lies about her. Even someone, who doesn't watch figure skating and doesn't even know who these skaters are, can read the complains how "the wrong one won" and people are easy to manipulate.
On the other hand, Medvedeva is "popular" bc of the anime fans, not bc of her medals.....:rolleye:

As an anime fan, I can tell you. It doesn't work like that.
Btw, she's not popular by her Silver performance, not her Silver medal. LOL

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
World gold. Because then you can go on Golden Skate and people won't be slamming you for having never won a major competition. :laugh:

WineHerUp

On the Ice
This comparison is not fair.
Adelina never had a chance, bc of the Yuna Kim supporters who are still very loud, calling her names and spreading lies about her. Even someone, who doesn't watch figure skating and doesn't even know who these skaters are, can read the complains how "the wrong one won" and people are easy to manipulate.
On the other hand, Medvedeva is "popular" bc of the anime fans, not bc of her medals.....:rolleye:

Adelina had control of her own career and no one else should be blame for her disappointing/short career. Medvedeva is popular because she's an amazing competitor who won practically every competition. Her popularity is due to her hard work and accomplishments, not her interests.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
World gold. Because then you can go on Golden Skate and people won't be slamming you for having never won a major competition. :laugh:

Don't be ridiculous. Of course they will. They'll say you didn't deserve to win. Or you didn't really win.

But you won't care!!!!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It depends, which medal is France designing?

:laugh2: This comment wins all!

As for the question, oh man that's a hard one I'd probably take the Olympic silver in the end. It's such a big event and everyone will know your name :)

Plumededragon

Medalist
Olympic silver. An Olympic medal has much more meaning to any athlete as the Olympics represent the dream stage of sport.
World is important, obviously, but compared to Olympics it’s not the same meaning.

For example, Javi was obviously happy for his two world titles, but his dream has always been an Olympic medal and he did it with the bronze. Shoma’s goal has always been 2018 and 2022 Olympics. Of course if he wins a World title between the two he’ll be happy (who wouldn’t be), but his 2018 silver medal has more meaning.
Also, Lambiel is a 2-time world champion, but he’s presented as the 2006 silver Olympic medalist.

So yes, no matter, the Olympics medal is much better.

yude

Record Breaker
The silver medalists at Olympics this year all seemed sad about winning silver. All the Bronze medalists seemed happy and joyful. I'm going to say that obviously it is better to win Bronze than Silver at the Olympics. What? That's not the question?

One of the Olympic medalists said, Bronze medalists feel happier because they can get a medal while Silver medalists feel a little regret for not reaching the gold medal. But of course it is only his opinion and it may depend on the athletes.

And also, he won a gold medal in Nagano Olympics and a silver medal in Salt Lake City Olympics, and when he was asked which was happier, he answered Salt Lake City because it was a long journey to get a medal facing severe injury.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The silver medalists at Olympics this year all seemed sad about winning silver. All the Bronze medalists seemed happy and joyful. I'm going to say that obviously it is better to win Bronze than Silver at the Olympics. What? That's not the question?

It's like Jerry Seinfeld said "You win the gold! You're over the moon, you win the bronze it's like 'Well at least I got something' you get silver and it's like...'Congratulations you almost won!'"

Of course it would depend on whether you were a favourite I guess...like if you came out of nowhere to win the silver you'd be so happy! But if you were the gold medal favourite you'd probably be disappointed and feel like you let yourself down. For example Stephane Lambiel was so overjoyed about his silver at Torino, where as Plushy was...ahem...less than pleased with his in Vancouver ;)

An unexpected gold medal would be the best though...like Steven Bradbury! (One of the best sporting moments of all time. OF. ALL. TIME!)

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Olympics only happen every 4 years so the silver or bronze over an annual World title thanks. Being an athlete in any sport where the Olympics are the crowning glory, I'd hate to be a world champion, cracked under pressure and end up with no Olympic medal!!!

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
World Gold.

We all have different views on this of course. But as figure skating fans who follow the sport every year, I'd take World gold for Javi or Evgenia. Javi was World champ in 2015 and 2016. What if Olympics were held in those years ? And Zhenya, how about the horrible timing of her injury combined with the arrival of one of the greatest jumpers who could turn senior JUST this year ? Isn't she gold to your eyes (for many of you), whatever the color of her Olympic medal may be ?

It's the media that put the Olympics into this bubble of achievement, and while I kind of agree, I kind of like the 3 other seasons as well. Javi is more defined for by his 2 World Gold and 6 Euro titles than his OBM. Gaby&Guillaume have a whopping 3 World & 4 Euro titles, which is one of the biggest carreer on the Ice Dance stage "despite" OSM. And Michelle Kwan or Kurt Browning ? No explanation needed.

What I love about Olympic Gold though, is the possibility of having a life long "security" for some athletes, that really needs it, or opportunities through media to develop the sport. I couldn't be more thrilled for Alina to be honest, because I follow FS enough, if I had to choose between her and Zhenya, I would have picked Alina for OGM based on her story, knowing that Zhenya is already the complete skater. But the general public doesn't necessarily know that...