World Gold or Olympic Silver? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

World Gold or Olympic Silver?

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Olympic silver. An Olympic medal has much more meaning to any athlete as the Olympics represent the dream stage of sport.
World is important, obviously, but compared to Olympics it’s not the same meaning.

For example, Javi was obviously happy for his two world titles, but his dream has always been an Olympic medal and he did it with the bronze. Shoma’s goal has always been 2018 and 2022 Olympics. Of course if he wins a World title between the two he’ll be happy (who wouldn’t be), but his 2018 silver medal has more meaning.
Also, Lambiel is a 2-time world champion, but he’s presented as the 2006 silver Olympic medalist.

So yes, no matter, the Olympics medal is much better.

Agree 100%

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice
What is better? A World Gold and an Olympic Bronze or a Olympic Silver..
World Gold and Olympic Bronze for sure!
It means you're the best in the World and also an Olympic medalist. With Olympic Silber you're "just" an Olympic medalist. Olympic Silver and Bronze are too similar to each other, you're an Olympic medalist if you win either. It doesn't matter so much whether you're a silver or bronze medalist, because neither is gold. Also a bronze tends to be more of a medal athletes are happy to win, whereas the silver often feels more like a lost gold. And if, like in your example, the Olympic bronze means an additional World Gold, I'd take that.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
World gold is better. Gold is always better than silver. But a skater's entire record has to be considered to decide where it stands comparatively. Sasha Cohen never won the big event but is an Olympic silver medalist. So for her, it's important. For a skater like Kurt Browning who won 4 World golds but no Olympic medal, the lack of Olympic silver is irrelevant.

Danibellerika

Medalist
I've asked this question before myself and I got nearly a split decision in the polling. At first I definitely thought I'd want a world gold over a non gold olympic medal, but now I can feel the significance of having that medal over a world gold. And I do still think circumstances play into it a lot, depending on if you "lost" the gold vs. "won" the silver or bronze.

One thing is for sure, it IS a big deal to these athletes and having attended 3 worlds and just now the olympics, the energy is totally different and you can feel that most of the athletes know they are at the olympics as opposed to anywhere else. Maybe it's just one of those "you had to be there" situations, but to me there is not really a comparison between the Olympics and Worlds. Anyone wanting to doubt the weight of the Olympics can just ask Savchenko. She didn't show up at 5 of them because it was no big deal. Even with all of those world titles and two Oly bronzes, she didn't feel complete until she could get that elusive gold.

Of course the Olympic Games were devised as a showcase for amateur sports. The Olympic title is the biggest achievement in any amateur sport that participates: ice skating, track and field, swimming, gymnastics, sword fighting, weight lifting, you name it.

For professional sports, sure, they have their own thing. The Stanley Cup, Wimbledon, the Masters green jacket, etc. Professional athletes in these sports do not hold the Olympics in the same regard.

I also think the NBA probably regards their championship higher than the Olympics, though Olympic gold IS coveted. Charles Barkley never got a ring, but has 2 olympic gold medals, however there is still sort of that asterisk for not having a ring despite him being one of the greatest of all time.

World gold is better. Gold is always better than silver. But a skater's entire record has to be considered to decide where it stands comparatively. Sasha Cohen never won the big event but is an Olympic silver medalist. So for her, it's important. For a skater like Kurt Browning who won 4 World golds but no Olympic medal, the lack of Olympic silver is irrelevant.

Sasha's multiple world medals also hold weight to me because it shows that she was among the best for that quad. And she did manage to win a GPF (over Slutskaya in Russia). So yeah, sometimes it just depends on the circumstances. As someone for whom Sasha was my Hanyu back then, if I had to trade all of her performances and seasons just to see her get an OGM, I can't say I would because she delivered some great skating for me over that quad. She said if she won gold in 2002 she'd have retired. So I'm happy to have gotten Swan Lake, R&J, Malaguena, and Dark Eyes instead. And at least her Olympic shorts are always worth a watch.

Also, didn't Kurt say he'd trade a title or two for an olympic medal? Or was that only a gold medal? If that's a misquote please let me know.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
And also, he won a gold medal in Nagano Olympics and a silver medal in Salt Lake City Olympics, and when he was asked which was happier, he answered Salt Lake City because it was a long journey to get a medal facing severe injury.

Who won a gold medal in Nagano Olympics and a silver medal in Salt Lake City Olympics?

Since the OP stated “This isn't what would xx skater want? But you yourself.”
…and since I personally never had a hope of winning (or more importantly the skill to win) any medal at any kind of global event, either would be fine by me!

Heck, I’d be chuffed receiving an IdF plastic star standing on a GP podium…or local club competition.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Since the OP stated “This isn't what would xx skater want? But you yourself.”
…and since I personally never had a hope of winning (or more importantly the skill to win) any medal at any kind of global event, either would be fine by me!

Heck, I’d be chuffed receiving an IdF plastic star standing on a GP podium…or local club competition.

Here you go Off My Rocker:

A GS gold medal just for you :medal"

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Yes she did! Adelina choose not to compete at the World Championships after her 'win' at the 2014 Olympics. Perhaps if she had of competed in Saitama, she could have proved all the naysayers wrong by winning the World Championships. But, she instead chose not to fight (... and I think we all know why!)

Was she not injured? I believe you can say that about any Olympic Gold Medalist who skips Worlds.

Puchi

On the Ice
Give me a World Gold. I'll forever be a World Champion. Having an olympic silver, great as it is, would only be a nice thing to say about me when introducing me in my next skate show. ;)

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Every skaters dream is to go to the Olympics and medal. Which would leave one to believe that an Olympic medal is more important to most skaters. Winning the gold medal at the Olympics is an exclusive club. Like winning the Kentucky Derby. They go down in the History Books.

echeveria

3a-1/2lo-3f
On the Ice
Olympic silver, for sure. More people watch it, you're the silver medalist for four years. I know that I would never have started watching other figure skating if I didn't start with the olympics, and I know that a lot of people who wouldn't consider themselves 'fans' of the sport, per se, still watch the olympics and see the medalists.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If anything, I find Olympic medals more a matter of luck than World ones. People seem to think that because the Olympics happen every four years, a medal there means you are/were the best skater for the entire four-year cycle. In truth, it means you were the best skater at the Olympic competition, just like the World medal means you were best at the World
competition.

Think of the Russian women over the last cycle: Elena Radionova was too young to compete in Sochi, had good years, then grew. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva had one year where she won everything in grand style, but it wasn't an Olympic year. Medvedeva had an excellent 2-year string of victories, but was injured at the wrong time. Alina was born at the right time and peaked at the right time. Is Alina superior over a 4-year period to the other ladies? I wouldn't say so. So far I'd say she was just lucky to be the one who peaked at the right time. Now if she wins a/some World championships over the next few years, I'll reconsider.

At least Alina didn't retire immediately.

LaterSkater87878

Rinkside
Wow this is a seriously unfounded and offensive argument on one hand and just as much true for Olympic silver on the other.

Yep. :yes: We know that a 'splat fest' can also happen at the Olympics, and as a result, others who weren't considered major threats can make it onto the podium. But, who knows - later on, those same Olympic medalists might have a difficult time of replicating similar successes at Worlds. :shrug:

That being said, I dislike diminishing the podium finish of any skater by chalking it up to 'just luck'. This is how I see it: If one skater falters and another performs cleanly and wins, I would rather just say that the other skater brought their best skills that day, while the other didn't. You win some, you lose some; it happens. But one lousy (or good) moment shouldn't define a person entirely.

Mayumi1990

Rinkside
Very interesting. Looks like some wants World Gold because you become number 1 even though you get less incentives while some choose Olympic Silver for the prestige and incentives and doesnt mind being number 2. I choose Olympic Silver because it looks like it will benefit me in the long run.