World Gold or Olympic Silver? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

World Gold or Olympic Silver?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
It depends, which medal is France designing?

Not medals, dear. Big plastic stars of different colours including blue for boys and pink for girls and gender neutral green and yellow for pairs and dance.

Haleth

On the Ice
Not medals, dear. Big plastic stars of different colours including blue for boys and pink for girls and gender neutral green and yellow for pairs and dance.

In this imagined scenario I'd still expect the plastic, but hope they'd try something different shape-wise. Dodecahedron perhaps? (Dodecagon being boring and flat and all) :devil:

And those colors :palmf:

sowcow

On the Ice
Yes.. I believe that. But if he had to choose between his World Championship and his Silver at the Olympics I think he'd choose the World title.

For sure ... but that's because the World Championship win was uplifting; the Olympic silver was devastating!!

I recall reading that Orser said he was unable to watch his Calgary performance for more than a decade afterwards ... that's how much it hurt him, and how much he felt like he'd "let Canada down"! (Which is untrue! He's amazing!)

• So, in that context, I'm sure he would prefer his World Championship gold medal over the silver from Calgary.

But, to loop back and to try to answer the OP's question, I think we'd need to find a skater (like Kaetlyn Osmond) who has earned both a World Championship gold, and a (non-gold) Olympic medal; and, importantly, where both medals were won as part of an uplifting experience for that skater!

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
Yes she did! Adelina choose not to compete at the World Championships after her 'win' at the 2014 Olympics. Perhaps if she had of competed in Saitama, she could have proved all the naysayers wrong by winning the World Championships. But, she instead chose not to fight (... and I think we all know why!)
Why, why, why?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
In this imagined scenario I'd still expect the plastic, but hope they'd try something different shape-wise. Dodecahedron perhaps? (Dodecagon being boring a flat and all) :devil:

And those colors :palmf:

Gabby was adorable with her big yellow star. She waved it around in the air. I also wondered how she got it home in her luggage. Surely you don't have space for it and it might snag your clothes. I hope she made Guillaume carry it as his carry on because that would have been funny to see.

kenboy123

On the Ice
It does not matter what the athletes think of it and how much hype there is, the Olympics are not a big title to just the sport itself... It was made for amateurs, but just because it extended to the professionals didn't mean it gain any SPORT significance... We will just agree to disagree...

Sportfan

Match Penalty
Yes she did! Adelina choose not to compete at the World Championships after her 'win' at the 2014 Olympics. Perhaps if she had of competed in Saitama, she could have proved all the naysayers wrong by winning the World Championships. But, she instead chose not to fight (... and I think we all know why!)

That's not what we are talking about. It was said that Med has more popularity with oly silver than Adelina with Oly gold. It has nothing to do with who was going to worlds and who not. In the moment she beat Kim at the olympics, it was over for Adelina, bc the figure skating community decided that she should be hated no matter what she is doing. She came back a year later to fight (your words), did it change anything? No. She never had a chance, bc she wasn't as popular as Kim going into the olympics

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
For sure ... but that's because the World Championship win was uplifting; the Olympic silver was devastating!!

I recall reading that Orser said he was unable to watch his Calgary performance for more than a decade afterwards ... that's how much it hurt him, and how much he felt like he'd "let Canada down"! (Which is untrue! He's amazing!)

• So, in that context, I'm sure he would prefer his World Championship gold medal over the silver from Calgary.

But, to loop back and to try to answer the OP's question, I think we'd need to find a skater (like Kaetlyn Osmond) who has earned both a World Championship gold, and a (non-gold) Olympic medal; and, importantly, where both medals were won as part of an uplifting experience for that skater!

Brian and his feelings about his Olympic silver in Calgary are heartbreaking. I think his feelings about his silver from '84 are much more positive.

The problem with Kaetlyn is that she has the team gold so.. I'm not sure how she would feel. Maybe someone will ask her when she has a chance to sit back and think about it.
D/R have a world championship and a bronze from the Olympics and I know she has said that it was that Olympic medal that she dreamed of all her life and that she doesn't count the team medals the same way.
Stephane Lambiel has world titles and an Olympic medal. Has he ever said which means more to him?
I know that Kurt Browning would give up at least a couple of his world titles to have an Olympic medal. I remember him saying something to that effect.

Yoa

On the Ice
Honestly, I would rather take the Olympic silver over a World gold. Just being an Olympic medalist is impressive because it only happens every 4 years and the whole world watches.

And just for some stats. In the last 3 olympics, 5 out of the 12 skaters/teams that won gold went to Worlds and of those 5 only 2 (Tessa and Scott; Aliona and Bruno) won World gold after winning Olympic gold.

+ Hanyu in 2014

Warwick360

Medalist
That's not what we are talking about. It was said that Med has more popularity with oly silver than Adelina with Oly gold. It has nothing to do with who was going to worlds and who not. In the moment she beat Kim at the olympics, it was over for Adelina, bc the figure skating community decided that she should be hated no matter what she is doing. She came back a year later to fight (your words), did it change anything? No. She never had a chance, bc she wasn't as popular as Kim going into the olympics

She never had the chance because she was not capable. Even with much kindness of judges on her return, it still amounted to nothing. Hardly got much to do with general skating community.

Sportfan

Match Penalty
Really??? No!

Yeah really! :hap10:

You can try 3 guesses ... I'm sure if you're honest with yourself, you'll guess the right answer!!

Here is your honest and right answer