Shibutanis sign with United Talent Agency | Golden Skate

Shibutanis sign with United Talent Agency

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Per Deadline:
Olympian ice dancers Maia Shibutani and Alex Shibutani have signed with United Talent Agency (UTA).

The Shibutani Siblings recently competed at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea where they won two Bronze Medals for the United States. The pair, who have been skating for 14 years, became fan favorites throughout the Olympic games.

Prior to Pyeongchang, the Shibutani Siblings were renowned skaters. They are three-time World medalists, two-time U.S. National champions, 14-time U.S. National medalists, and Four Continents Champions. They have also won six titles in the Grand Prix series.

The duo is very active on social media amassing over 1.3 million followers online (and growing) In particular, their popular YouTube channel “ShibSibs” has over 150,000 subscribers. Established in 2012, the channels has videos that include behind-the-scenes footage of their travels, training, shows, and competitions. The pair is additionally represented by Yuki Saegusa at IMG.
Nothing in particular about their plans, but people have been speculating about the Shibs' future plans for a while now, especially after they didn't go to Worlds. Generally the speculation was built around them going on Dancing With The Stars, which apparently isn't happening, but it seems they are indeed looking into opportunities.

This doesn't mean they're leaving competition, by any means, but since this is one of the big unanswered questions about what ice dance will look like over the next couple of seasons, it's noteworthy.

I don't understand the effect that this will have on their career. What does this agency get for its clients?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don't understand the effect that this will have on their career. What does this agency get for its clients?
Media opportunities of various stripes.

I'm not sure what specifically they'd be looking to do for Maia and Alex, but evidently they're looking to see what's out there.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

I was wondering that as well. Their website shows several divisions (music, etc) but the only one that seems to me to fit the Shibutanis is motivational speaking. I believe they would be very good at that.

Matt K

On the Ice
Personally, I find the Shibutanis opting to miss this year's World Championships after the Olympics to be a huge mistake and one that the judges will not forgive. They knew that their Olympic bronze would not have happened but for H/D's falling in the FD and that going to the WC, they would likely lose to H/D who scored significantly high personal bests. I think they see the writing on the wall and know that other teams are/will be better. If they return next year, and all teams skate clean at Worlds, I cannot see them having higher results than currently (and they probably see this too).

chillgil

Match Penalty
Personally, I find the Shibutanis opting to miss this year's World Championships after the Olympics to be a huge mistake and one that the judges will not forgive. They knew that their Olympic bronze would not have happened but for H/D's falling in the FD and that going to the WC, they would likely lose to H/D who scored significantly high personal bests. I think they see the writing on the wall and know that other teams are/will be better. If they return next year, and all teams skate clean at Worlds, I cannot see them having higher results than currently (and they probably see this too).

i hate arguments like this. you never see someone saying something like, "oh man the diamondbacks ACTUALLY could have won if they had just hit another home run!" it's like hello??? this is a sport where you EARN your points, if you dont win it's your own damn fault and if you win it's because you did enough to earn it

Personally, I find the Shibutanis opting to miss this year's World Championships after the Olympics to be a huge mistake and one that the judges will not forgive.

Judges? What do the Shibs care about judges any more? They're going Hollywood! :laugh:

lesnar001

Record Breaker
i hate arguments like this. you never see someone saying something like, "oh man the diamondbacks ACTUALLY could have won if they had just hit another home run!" it's like hello??? this is a sport where you EARN your points, if you dont win it's your own damn fault and if you win it's because you did enough to earn it

This X 1 million

Arguments like this are a "nice" way of insulting someone's accomplishments.

MRani

On the Ice
This X 1 million

Arguments like this are a "nice" way of insulting someone's accomplishments.

Not even a “nice” way, tbh. They’re usually made by people specifically looking to insult someone’s accomplishments.

chloepoco

Medalist
I wish for nothing but the best for the Shibutani’s. They are talented, smart, and so darn likable!!

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Good for them! :yes: Keep in mind they’ve also had a popular YouTube channel since the pre-Sochi quad. As Olympic medalists, they have every right to capitalize their successes of the past three seasons.

I also indirectly wonder if the Shib’s high ranking and impressive CV of accomplishments could motivate the Japanese fed to invest more into their national ice dancing program?

Disclaimer: of course I realize the Shibs are born and bred American citizens who have always represented the US, they just also happen to have Japanese heritage and are well-liked and well-received whenever they compete or tour in Japan.

Another good thing: It also appears that Chris Reed and Kana Muramoto have shown much improvement and have moved up in the ice dance world rankings as well. This is also great for the future of the discipline in Japan. Who knows, maybe 2022 team gold could be within reach? :biggrin:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

Oh, really? I am sorry, but while liking Hubbell/Donohue, they could establish themselves as top contenders and be neck-to-neck with Shibutanis way earlier that this very Worlds in Milan, they kept making mistakes and crumble under the pressure (three times: 2017 Worlds, 2017 GPF and 2018 Olympics, EVEN after winning US Nationals) while Shibutanis were able to raise under occasion, EVEN after defeat at US Nats. And then Zachary spoke his 'words of wisdom' about handling medal to Shibutanis last year at Worlds in Helsinki - how generous of him...

Then, speaking of this year's Worlds - at this point, we will never know how it would be if Shibutanis and maybe Virtue/Moir participated, regardless of that factor - judges will always find their ways to look at things the way they want, not the way they should (or to not look at all). Also, Hubbell/Donohue modified their FD (2nd part) and in my opinion made it easier and less interesting (good thing though not for the judges),but good for them for not crumbling (again) under the pressure, but then - with no Shibutanis on sight, what pressure we are talking about? No one to handle the medal, what a pity...

megenta

Rinkside
If they want fame and recognition outside skating (especially if they don't plan to het real jobs) , they need to become less cardboard cutouts. Maybe they're like GG and just haven't dared to show their weirdness, quirkiness, neuroses and humour yet.

saturdaysun

On the Ice
This is fantastic news! :yahoo:

UTA is one of the biggest agencies in Hollywood. They will be trying to procure big deals for the Shibs, in TV and film, not commercials or motivational speaking gigs or anything small. Their Youtube channel is a great jumping off point to transition into more traditional media, plenty of movies/TV shows are being made based on projects that started on the web. My guess, the agency will try to package some kind of figure skating series which the Shibs can attach themselves as producers and/or consultants on.

Barb

Record Breaker
Oh, really? I am sorry, but while liking Hubbell/Donohue, they could establish themselves as top contenders and be neck-to-neck with Shibutanis way earlier that this very Worlds in Milan, they kept making mistakes and crumble under the pressure (three times: 2017 Worlds, 2017 GPF and 2018 Olympics, EVEN after winning US Nationals) while Shibutanis were able to raise under occasion, EVEN after defeat at US Nats. And then Zachary spoke his 'words of wisdom' about handling medal to Shibutanis last year at Worlds in Helsinki - how generous of him...

Then, speaking of this year's Worlds - at this point, we will never know how it would be if Shibutanis and maybe Virtue/Moir participated, regardless of that factor - judges will always find their ways to look at things the way they want, not the way they should (or to not look at all). Also, Hubbell/Donohue modified their FD (2nd part) and in my opinion made it easier and less interesting (good thing though not for the judges),but good for them for not crumbling (again) under the pressure, but then - with no Shibutanis on sight, what pressure we are talking about? No one to handle the medal, what a pity...

:laugh:, I was thinking the same.

They most likely will write a book

it would be great!! :yes2:

Ducky

On the Ice
I was wondering that as well. Their website shows several divisions (music, etc) but the only one that seems to me to fit the Shibutanis is motivational speaking. I believe they would be very good at that.

An agency allows their client to focus on what really matters to them, while presenting new opportunities to expand upon their base and reach more people. Agents are also gatekeepers. They screen both potential deals and any swag, gifts, fan mail the clients may receive. I'm sure that the Shibutanis have probably seen an uptick in potential endorsement deals, and perhaps even offers to appear on Disney or Nickelodeon shows scripted shows. Maybe even a book deal,which I totally think now is the time to hook them up with an ace ghost writer and hammer out a memoir-y type thing, stat. (Sorry, I'm Vanessa Geckoing.)

And let's say that they're only interested in being motivational speakers. It's a lot easier to tell a local school who wants to have you come and give a talk to please send all requests to my agent, than it is to tell the local school yourself that that date might work and oh, by the way, my speaker's fee is X amount, only to have local school try and guilt you into doing it for free.

Ducky

On the Ice
This is fantastic news! :yahoo:

UTA is one of the biggest agencies in Hollywood. They will be trying to procure big deals for the Shibs, in TV and film, not commercials or motivational speaking gigs or anything small. Their Youtube channel is a great jumping off point to transition into more traditional media, plenty of movies/TV shows are being made based on projects that started on the web. My guess, the agency will try to package some kind of figure skating series which the Shibs can attach themselves as producers and/or consultants on.

Or, say it with me: Disney. TV. Movie.

humbaba

Final Flight
At times Alex sounds almost wistful when he talks about his interest in making films. If he plans to seriously pursue an interest in video or film production, UTA could be invaluable in helping him find and develop opportunities.