Skaters with consistently good/bad costumes | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skaters with consistently good/bad costumes

Danny T

Medalist
LOL if this question was asked in 2014, I would nominate Yuzuru in a heartbeat for bad costumes (sans the perfectly stunning Etude costume, and the actually OK Parisienne Walkway). But he finally knows what's up and brought back the ombre aesthetics, plus Seimei 2.0 at Olympics was just majestic, so he's a reformed fashion criminal now :laugh:

I hate the "Dress for Less" thing too. I'll repeat what I posted on the other consistent thread: "I'll take occasionally brilliant over consistently mediocre every time." :laugh2: The only time that style works for me is Nathan at Rostelecom, and only because the programme has such a contemporary feel, and the closest matching blacks don't hurt.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I think Yuzu has some of the best costumes, and even if a few of them may not be to everyone's taste, there are more than enough that could be considered one of the best. Seimei at the Olympics might be the best costume in figure skating history, and Chopin (even though it's a JW copy) is quite lovely. Phantom of the Opera is my personal favorite, even though I can't explain why, but it just worked. Subconsciously I always stop to appreciate it when I see a photo of it or a thumbnail of a video. And Notte Stellata is really beautiful, too, in a different way.

I also really love the blue Parisienne Walkways costume, because it looked good and it fit the music really nicely.

I can't say who has the worst costumes but I typically don't like skaters who don't seem to care about what they wear, or they wear something really generic that looked like they purchased it from a pro shop at their local rink. Like it's blue, with a sweetheart neckline, obligatory illusion mesh, and a thousand crystals, but no character or relation to the music. Then I'm like...snooze. I think it's better to have hit and misses than to be consistently bland.

I think I agree with you on Yuzu. His costumes stand out, always, and they have impeccable attention to detail. They're kind of divisive but I think it fits his skating - it's all or nothing, no holds barred. Seimei 2.0 is definitely incredible. It takes my breath away.

If we're talking Cricket Club here's an unpopular opinion: I usually hate Javi's costumes.

Warwick360

Medalist
For me, it has to be Max Aaron. I see his Lion King program and I am left baffled how unspectacular his costuming was. And his program itself doesn't help. :disapp:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Gaby had two different Carmen dresses. The one she used early in the season was all red, and the one she used later was black with red on the bottom on the skirt. I liked the all-red one, which was quite simple and modern in style, but the black / red color of the second one was stunning.

yup i liked the first one : that's the one i was thinking about

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
If you call the things she gave Evan and Nate “costumes”

It doesn’t seem that Vera calls them costumes - they are referred to as ‘uniforms’ here:
https://twitter.com/verawanggang/status/965028936844480512?s=21

from: https://www.vogue.com/article/nathan-chen-vera-wang-team-usa-celebrity-olympics-style

‘These are not show costumes, but sleek, modern interpretations of athleticism’

And Vera said in that article that she was inspired by Rothko paintings - which may explain the charcoal/black combos. Possible inspiration ?:

https://www.guggenheim.org/artwork/3535

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
For me, it has to be Max Aaron. I see his Lion King program and I am left baffled how unspectacular his costuming was. And his program itself doesn't help. :disapp:

Max's costumes were always elegantly simple and showed off his best...assets. I had no problems with either Lion King costume. (Isn't it funny, y'all whinged that he should be in costume, so he had a proper costume top made for the Lion King originally, and y'all had a whinge about that. So he changed to something more comfortable to skate in and y'all whinge about that, too. Almost like the athlete's comfort isn't a priority for you lot or something. Oh yeah, AND he designed his own costumes precisely BECAUSE he was aware of the whinging and thought it was unfair to subject a costume designer to that, because he blamed his own body for the costumes not looking good.)

Additional: I would love to see the breakdown of how many posters who whinged and moaned about Max's costumes thought Chen's were works of art or whatever. :sarcasm:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
cynthia phaneuf was always extremely well dressed...

Sorry bud, I forgot to mention her in my list but Cynthia was def., in my thoughts...she made me like paisley again, and those gloves completed Josée's outfit. Always amazing, they both were.

mau

3Lz3Lo3Lo3Lo3Lo
On the Ice
Unpopular opinion: I love Vera Wang’s costumes for Nathan, especially the one for the FS. :scard7:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It doesn’t seem that Vera calls them costumes - they are referred to as ‘uniforms’ here:
They were sooo... corporate, like a dull committee-created version of the training gear they all can look good in.

Mind you, given also how much they put me in mind of swimmers' full bodysuits (which didn't even look good on someone like Ian Thorpe), only thicker and clunkier.... maybe I'm not the type of viewer she had in mind.

lurkz2

On the Ice
They were sooo... corporate, like a dull committee-created version of the training gear they all can look good in.

Mind you, given also how much they put me in mind of swimmers' full bodysuits (which didn't even look good on someone like Ian Thorpe), only thicker and clunkier.... maybe I'm not the type of viewer she had in mind.

I prefer corporate to Evan’s snakes. Was dreading their appearance hehehe. :biggrin:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Max's costumes were always elegantly simple ...

:agree: My favorite example of Max's elegant simplicity was his Black Swan costume :luv17:, which I loved, loved, loved.

When I went to Philadelphia Summer International last year, it gave me thrills to see in person Max's brand-new programs for the season -- and additional thrills :hap85: to see him compete in his Black Swan costume (before the debut of his new ones at U.S. Classic several weeks later).

... Oh yeah, AND he designed his own costumes precisely BECAUSE he was aware of the whinging and thought it was unfair to subject a costume designer to that. ...

Reason #392 that Max is an awesome person :sad4: :bow: :sad4: :ghug: :sad4:. I already miss him so much :sad4: :sad4:.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
Mao had many lovely costumes, but then there was THIS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY0V2OSiYCw

Not a good video, but I had trouble finding the dress at all. The internet has apparently been scrubbed of all images of it, except for the odd pinned image. Probably a very good thing.
Eeeeeek. :shocked: I’d forgotten about that one. At least it was just an ex.

Although tbh, I’ve always really hated the 2013 GPF version of her Rach 2 costume; I’m glad she went back to the feathers. http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Mao+Asada/ISU+Grand+Prix+Figure+Skating+2013+2014+NHK/JV9jNnetDI7

Yuna Kim also gets my vote for consistently gorgeous costumes. Michelle Kwan had mostly great costumes, but a few were kind of boring. I tend to like Ashley’s and Javi’s, but I respectively hated her 2017-18 SP dress and his 2014-2015 FS costume. Sasha Cohen also had great costumes but I have never liked her Carmen dress from 2002.

Jason Brown has never had a costume that I liked.

rnois13

On the Ice
Marin Honda has gorgeous dresses too, her costumes for her The Giving SP are fantastic, especially the purple one.
I came here to make sure Marin is here because if there's anything she is very consistently good at, it's her beautiful costumes! 😂 Her go-to designers are Satomi Ito and Chess atalier, also her dad made her dresses when she was little? The purple dress for The Giving was her own concept and it is currently Satomi Ito's Insta profile pic.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
My vote for consistently bad costumes goes to Elizaveta Tuktamysheva. Her competition costumes tend to be unflattering muumuus, and some of her show costumes are so low-cut that I worry about wardrobe malfunctions! :slink: