Japan Open Competitors Announced | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Japan Open Competitors Announced

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Kaetlyn is with IMG, which I believe people have said is the agency involved in Japan Open. Of course she has the tour, so she wasn't available this year. I don't know if she was with them last year or not. http://www.northernpen.ca/sports/ot...medal-drawing-attention-from-sponsors-203942/

Kaetlyn is a much more decorated skater now than she was last year, so I'm sure if she was available she would have been invited. I'm very interested to see what kind of form Nathan is able to bring, given that he won't be training as hard as in the past.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
... if i were an event organizer, I would have the common sense to invite Gabby who is extremely marketable with a bronze medal earned at 2017 worlds as well as team gold in PC... something Bradie may achieve at one point, or may not.

Gabby competed at her fourth Worlds before winning a medal; at her first Worlds she was 21st. At her fifth and most recent Worlds she was 7th.
Her highest finish in the individual Olympics was 15th in 2018; she was 17th in 2014.
She has competed in 8 GP events and has never won a medal.
Bottom line: When Gabby is at her best, she is very, very good. But she is also very inconsistent so we don't see her at her best every time out.

Bradie was competing in her first senior season this year.
She competed in her first GP event and won a bronze medal.
She competed in her first individual Olympics and finished in the top 10; she won bronze in the team event.
She competed at her first Worlds and finished 6th.
Bradie was new on the scene this year and she showed nerves for the first time at the Olympics. But at Worlds she went back to her usual unruffled consistent self.

mau

3Lz3Lo3Lo3Lo3Lo
On the Ice
They should invite Donovan Carrillo for team North America. :biggrin:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
If Mura don't take part i wonder if there will be a retired skater in team Japan.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Gabby competed at her fourth Worlds before winning a medal; at her first Worlds she was 21st. At her fifth and most recent Worlds she was 7th.
Her highest finish in the individual Olympics was 15th in 2018; she was 17th in 2014.
Bottom line: When Gabby is at her best, she is very, very good. But she is also very inconsistent so we don't see her at her best every time out.

She competed in her first individual Olympics and finished in the top 10; she won bronze in the team event.
Bradie was new on the scene this year and she showed nerves for the first time at the Olympics. But at Worlds she went back to her usual unruffled consistent self.

i will take inconsistent Gabby anytime over Bradie at her best... YMMV

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

But Bradie and Gabby are nearly the same age (born within a month of each other). So I think it's unfair to hold it against Gabby that she's been a senior for longer and has done more. She has actually accomplished more than Bradie, at the same age, unless you value a GP medal above a world one. You also mention that Bradie won bronze in the Olympic team event but ignore the fact that Gabby won gold in that same event. (Edited to add: you also left out Gabby's Worlds medal.) Selective memory much?

That said, Bradie definitely has consistency and momentum on her side. She's also from a much larger country, and that is probably a major factor in her "first-round" selection for Japan Open.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
i will take inconsistent Gabby anytime over Bradie at her best... YMMV

Funny how some remember Bradie's OT Bronze while conveniently forgetting to mention, Gabby's OT Gold. This forgetfulness while throwing shade towards yet another Canadian woman is nothing new on here, and continues.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Funny how some remember Bradie's OT Bronze while conveniently forgetting to mention, Gabby's OT Gold. This forgetfulness while throwing shade towards yet another Canadian woman, continues.

i remember seeing this shade thrown since Joannie... but it was probably there before too... it didn't prevent Joannie to be one of the most successful skaters at Japan Open over the years... may Gabby follow in the footsteps of her idol.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Canadians don't really do Japan Open, do they? They get pushed to do Challenger Series events so they can get feedback and tweak programs.

Maybe they can rename Team North America to Team America. Unless they want to invite Mexican skaters...which would be really cool!!

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Canadians don't really do Japan Open, do they? They get pushed to do Challenger Series events so they can get feedback and tweak programs.

Patrick did the Japan Open. Both the U.S. and Canadian skaters do Challengers. Karen, Mirai, and Nathan each did the U.S. Classic last year and the Japan Open.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Daleman VS Tennell = Ex-aequo

LOL, wuuut? They're two completely different skaters - in terms of accolades, experience levels, looks, and skating styles. If Daleman showed up at Japan Open and skated against Tennell, I'm pretty sure people would be able to distinguish them.

Well everyone can have his own criteria. Yours are medals, mine are differents.

What are these criteria of yours, that would lead you to suggest that Daleman vs Tennell is ex aequo?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Who cares how many years it took Gabby to get a World medal.. it took Javier 7 seasons to medal at Worlds; at his first Worlds he was 35th.

I think the point was, Gabby is more decorated (albeit a longer career) than Tennell who has already been invited. So it would make sense to extend it to Gabby if she's available.

I like Bradie, but you're not exactly being balanced - including things like Tennell's team bronze, but then neglecting to include Gabby's team gold; pointing out Gabby's lack of a GP medal but then neglecting to mention her silver at 4CC.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Who cares how many years it took Gabby to get a World medal.. it took Javier 7 seasons to medal at Worlds; at his first Worlds he was 35th.

Wow - I never realized that about Javier Fernandez. Good for him for perservering through the bad times to become a multiple-time world medalist.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
What are these criteria of yours, that would lead you to suggest that Daleman vs Tennell is ex aequo?

Consistency + technical ability + potential. Tennell was more consistent than Daleman this season. Though Daleman has higher jumps and less URs issues, Tennell has an harder tech content in both programs and execute her content more cleanly most of the time. They are both national champs but have room to grow artistically an technically. I can see them, both (not just Daleman or Tennell), fight for big medals next seasons with more consistency.
Now you are free to explain why Daleman is also superior by these criteria.