2018 Internationaux de France Ladies Free Skate | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2018 Internationaux de France Ladies Free Skate

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Just watched her skate, Evgenia that is. I see some improvement in her glide etc
HOWEVER
Brian Orser in the Kiss and Cry was awful....I never even saw him look at her or try to comfort her. Tracie was on it but Brian looked like a puffed up marshmallow mad at the world ....

The German Eurosport commentator was also commenting on that, interpreting BOrser's body language like that and scolding him for being cold. Who knows what he's thinking? At least Jason had a great day. :slink:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Catching up on some vids -- Bradie was fierce! And if she believes in the lutz combo, why not keep trying it? What better season, and comp, to keep putting it in? If she had pulled it from her short, in some universe she might have moved up a spot on the podium (or would that even be possible?), but the GPF was out of reach regardless, right? Nationals, well, that might be a different story, depending on where she is with it, but I think it shows grit and an ability to work on a longterm plan to keep on with the more difficult content, especially bearing in mind that several women are adding 3A's to their arsenals. Stiff -- well, maybe, but it goes with the choreo. Her Juliet is no wilting flower. Holds my attention.

Interesting to hear all the comments about Marin -- so many comments about her appearance and statements like she could live off her looks, etc. etc. She is beautiful in my eyes, without question, but seems more than usual focus on her appearance. No wonder skating can be so hard on young women and their mental health. If you are seen as so beautiful, well, you may wonder, is that the sum of your worth? And if you're not getting those comments, then you can be left thinking -- what am I? Just my personal observations and my opinions only. I know no one is meaning to be anything but complimentary, but the number of comments on her appearance just jumped out at me as something to ponder.

ETA: Rika -- such command and confidence! Her jumps are such a pleasure to watch. Amazing skate.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
He said it after her score had appeared, and the overall leaderboard showed up. Rika's total score was 205.

It perhaps wasn't a record breaking score, but Rika's on the rise. She won this event, which arguably was the strongest Ladies GP of the series (assignment wise), with a faulty SP - as a newbie. If a coach cannot see that and underestimates the scale of what's happening with Rika this season, that's really weird.

neusw

On the Ice
This is Lipniskaia 2.0, except worse.

Zagitova will likely go this route as well, and possibly Eteri's other juniors.

Welp, I have more faith in TCC ironing out the issues.

*Everyone is done* lol you must be spending a lot of time on Russian ladies thread :laugh:

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
He said it after her score had appeared, and the overall leaderboard showed up. Rika's total score was 205.

In all fairness, while it sounds terrible, it’s not really incorrect — I think most posters here would have been aghast if a time traveler told them the top total score was 205. Heck, if Konstantinova scored 205, I expect a significant number of posters would claim it was inflated by missing tech calls and frankly not even very impressive because she’ll never be a 220+ skater, etc., etc., etc.

I don’t like what Brian said but it’s not like it’s something that isn’t said around here.

neusw

On the Ice
Why would he care? He already coached 2 GOATs and a 2X Olympic champion. I doubt his reputation would take a significant hit in the long run.

I'm sure he also feels some professional pressure and responsibility, because this is the first time he's taken on a skater who was already at the top. Not necessarily worried about a reputation hit, but more a sense of personal and professional achievement to do well by Zhenya.

colormyworld240

Medalist
I'm surprised Evgenia didn't go for a second 3-3 after the first fall. She's been known to be able to think on her feet something goes wrong, it's strange for her to leave out an entire combination. I don't think it's a coaching thing as other top TTC skaters are able to do this. It makes me think it's mental. Heartbreaking for Evgenia :(, I'm not even a fan but am rooting for her to figure it out

Brians comments about Rika's scores were rude :noshake:

Also heartbroken for Mai :( but I don't think she could have won against Rika, as the judges were already stingy with Rika's score.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
In all fairness, while it sounds terrible, it’s not really incorrect — I think most posters here would have been aghast if a time traveler told them the top total score was 205. Heck, if Konstantinova scored 205, I expect a significant number of posters would claim it was inflated by missing tech calls and frankly not even very impressive because she’ll never be a 220+ skater, etc., etc., etc.

I don’t like what Brian said but it’s not like it’s something that isn’t said around here.

Saying it on a forum is very different from a world-class coach saying it on television, at the competition where it happened, right in front of his student who just underperformed. What was the point? To make Med feel better about herself? That's crappy and in poor taste.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Yep. This is for everyone expecting a Zagitova run and Trusova/Scherb/Kostornaia to dominate.

So what you really mean is that all careers are completely unpredictable, except Eteri's girls will always fail. Logical and profound. Gotcha. Now I know not respond.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Why would he care? He already coached 2 GOATs and a 2X Olympic champion. I doubt his reputation would take a significant hit in the long run.

You know how it goes with coaches though. They’re only as good as their last student. See Ice Dance.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
So what you really mean is that all careers are completely unpredictable, except Eteri's girls will always fail. Logical and profound. Gotcha. Now I know not respond.

I don't see a gazillion posts about the dominance of any other ladies these days. Who else have been that hyped up?

Weetos

Final Flight
Well, I don't know why he said it and in what context or with what intent, so I'm not going to sit here and analyse and judge a throwaway sentence said in the K&C.

Seruleane

Final Flight
The German Eurosport commentator was also commenting on that, interpreting BOrser's body language like that and scolding him for being cold. Who knows what he's thinking? At least Jason had a great day. :slink:

I really don't think Brian Orser knows how to handle Medvedeva yet...it still feels like a new relationship. I hope they learn from this.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Saying it on a forum is very different from a world-class coach saying it on television, at the competition where it happened, right in front of his student who just underperformed. What was the point? To make Med feel better about herself? That's crappy and in poor taste.

I don’t disagree — like I said, I don’t like that he said it (on camera), and it’s not a great look. But I think the substance of the comment is less offensive than the part where he said the quiet part out loud. Nor do I think it was an actual dig at Kihara.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
Evgenia is struggling to overhaul the Eteri jump technique that doesn't work for adult female skaters, so she should go back to Eteri?
Who said it doesn't work? Worked perfectly for her the last season. Won silver at OG. Orser was able to ruin everything good she had before.
And I'm not even talking about jumps, just look at her spins... they are just terrible. as well as her stsq. now she turned into something average. even worse.
expression? no choreo, no transitions, no nothing..... He took everything from her and didn't give anything. well. good work!

gioccia

On the Ice
Changing technique takes time -is a perfect excuse for bad coaching or lack of abilities. Whoever says Eteri ‘s technique does not survive puberty, is just an Eteri hater. You have to work harder, that’s what can take you to a new level. Who is that magnificent coach whose girls survive puberty? Who are those consistent jumpers? I have one name-Osmond, however her tes did not allow her to beat Eteri ‘s girls. Names please...The problem is that FS is getting harder, we will see more and more junior champions, because they are taught difficult jumps from a young age.
New era, new names, there’s nothing bad about it,