2018 Internationaux de France Ladies Free Skate | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2018 Internationaux de France Ladies Free Skate

IloveFS

Rinkside
She still had the highest PCS. Her TES was a tenth of a point below Honda’s.

Barely. And looking at her and Orcer's face in the K&C, I don't think they found any comfort in it. When you have a new senior skater like Kihira who is very good in tech components, but is not artistic, being close to her in PCS (even though Zhenya is a silver Olympic medalist)...that's not a good position to be in.

SXTN

Final Flight
More precisely, the Eteri Technique works when you are tiny, but is not sustainable. The Mishin technique tends to survive.

I personally enjoy Zhenya's current skating a lot more than her previous incarnation, even if she is making some mistakes as she shifts her technique. For one thing, she looks like a woman skating instead of a kid. And her jumps are showing improvement. The consistency of new technique will come, and her skating career will be extended beyond what it would have been had she stayed with Eteri. I agree this is an 18-month project, and that this season is a transitional time and a bit of an expected mess.

Apart from the 2A there is no improvement on jumps.

lusterfan

Final Flight
Evgenia's Lutz did not get called ... was it truly clean or the judges didn't think it mattered score-wise??

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After the fall on the 2A, I thought Evgenia would have a meltdown but it wasn't terrible for someone reworking technique and having confidence issues. Her expectations are so high for someone who was unbeatable just two years ago.

I'm happy for Mai and her silver medal, yes there was a slim chance to make the final but there's next year, too. She's not the most exciting skater but she has a lovely floaty quality and her jumps are light.

Good for Bradie getting that bronze with that skate. She must be happy knowing that she saved the US ladies from not medaling on the GP.

And congrats to Rika for her win and going to the GPF. I felt she fought for each jump after the 3A didn't go smoothly.

It was an exciting event, especially the second half. Can't wait for the final in 2 weeks!

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Barely. And looking at her and Orcer's face in the K&C, I don't think they found any comfort in it. When you have a new senior skater like Kihira who is very good in tech components, but is not artistic, being close to her in PCS (even though Zhenya is a silver Olympic medalist)...that's not a good position to be in.

Da heck, Rika is plenty artistic - as much as a total package you can get nowadays.

And dear Brian... success breeds jealousy! ;)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
To be honest. If you look at all the grand prix performances Mai probably skated better than Kaori and should be in GPF. Mai always seemed a little underscored and Kaori got a few breaks. The best thing that happened for Sakamoto was the judges suddenly getting strict for Shiraiwa in Helsinki FP after Kaori butchered the SP.

I prefer Kaori to Mai, so this might be biased but Mai's SP is just one of the worst Ladies SP's this season to me and I don't think she deserves high PCS for it. And while her jumps are not that bad, Kaori's jumps are much better. Higher, faster...and she has something else, a little bit of an X-factor compared to Mai. Mai is the softer type and perhaps this is just a matter of taste in what one likes, but I'm glad Kaori made the GPF. If I had the choice I would swap Sofia for Mai, but that's unfair because Sofia did really well in her GP's and deserves her place.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Meds rise and decline should serve as warning sign to anyone thinking they can predict a ladies skaters career.

Not even bitcoin plummeted this quickly.

Not to be evuull but even when she first burst onto the senior scene it was clear that her technique wouldn't last her a long long time, so her career trajectory is not much of a surprise. Especially in the light of the average competitive lifespan of a Russian lady these days. I, at least, didn't expect her to be relevant after Pyeongchang and the fact that she is making such great efforts to continue and grow makes me root for her wholeheartedly.

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
Zhenya is not becoming the next Yulia. Shes visibly struggling, but the payoff could be tremendous if she is able to fix her jumps. She’s going to be missed at the GPF, but she’ll have time to grow and train more to be ready for RusNats.

SXTN

Final Flight
LOL @Brian's comment.

He seemed like a bratty kid in the K&C. Probably he is afraid of his own reputation if Zhenya suddenly falls out of the medals.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker

She had a 2.75 lead in PCS. I don’t agree with it, frankly, as I don’t think the performance was as strong as at SCI. But I’m not interested in making sweeping statements about anyone’s future or possible head to heads. I was just noting in my reply to the OP that Medvedeva did indeed lead in components.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Well, I've said it several times, the programs they gave her are definitely not for her, but today it was not the issue. Skater like her must be able to deliver the best even from what does not fit one's nature. The problem today were the nerves. I don't know if it was just the situation or something other. But Zhenya from the past was able to withstand nearly any pressure. Zhenya of today don't. If it have been just in one occasion, that happens even to the strongest, but it was several times now.

Well, my theory, I admit it probably would not become very popular, is the environment. She was used to the competitive environment at Crystal ice rink, now we see coémments from TCC in the mode like "we are all friends and happy here..." But then competition comes.

Perhaps you’re right but I think the real test will come at Russian nationals.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Interestingly not only is the GPF ladies event going to be Russia vs Japan but the alternates are also only Russian and Japanese :D

Gayle

Spectator
Just watched her skate, Evgenia that is. I see some improvement in her glide etc
HOWEVER
Brian Orser in the Kiss and Cry was awful....I never even saw him look at her or try to comfort her. Tracie was on it but Brian looked like a puffed up marshmallow mad at the world ....

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
LOL @Brian's comment.

He seemed like a bratty kid in the K&C. Probably he is afraid of his own reputation if Zhenya suddenly falls out of the medals.

I’ve always gotten that vibe off him. I’m sure he’s a nice guy but he definitely cares about his reputation as the “top” coach.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
LOL @Brian's comment.

Why would he care? He already coached 2 GOATs and a 2X Olympic champion. I doubt his reputation would take a significant hit in the long run.