2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 100 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

tosca

On the Ice
I thought she burst into tears from joy because she knew she made he podium, not because she was upset. Funny how people can interpret things differently.

It could have been happiness but she made a huge error on her last jumping pass so I assumed... it was negative. She also needed to win to go to the GPF.

She said she had a lot of regret for this competition in her interview afterwards too!:(

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
There's even a small chance that Miyu Honda will qualify!

The skaters ahead of her gave her a chance, but in the end she just couldn't reclaim the magic from West Japan. Bummer. :(

It could have been happiness but she made a huge error on her last jumping pass so I assumed... it was negative. She also needed to win to go to the GPF.

She said she had a lot of regret for this competition in her interview afterwards too!:(
On the TV Asahi broadcast, she said her goal was to secure 200 points and skate, and that she herself really didn't understand why she was crying.

But it seemed like she lost all hope after the doubled jump. I've never seen her so expressionless during that final step routine...

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Results from National Jr. ladies:

1. 横井 ゆは菜 Yuhana YOKOI (Total: 181.84)
2. 荒木 菜那 Nana Araki (Total: 170.90)
3. 川畑 和愛 Tomoe Kawataba (Total: 158.16)

Congratulations to the medalists!
Note: the scorings of ladies' competitions are quite strict this time due to the judges assigned....

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Not a surprising podium. Congrats to Yuhana Yokoi who finally won junior nats in her last junior season at 18yo.
Hope that Nana and Tomoe will do well at senior nats to get jworlds spots.
Sad for Moa Iwano who missed the top 6 by one point. URs are really costly for her.

mikeko666

Final Flight

Note: the scorings of ladies' competitions are quite strict this time due to the judges assigned....

1. Yuhana Yokoi https://youtu.be/E22bwsenntU
2. Nana Araki https://youtu.be/rWhlgiVxnR4
3. Tomoe Kawabata https://youtu.be/qeA7c7brwC8
4. Rinka Watanabe
5. Yuna Aoki https://youtu.be/3yY8RYHaqqI

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
Will Nana Araki stay junior for an extra year because of how crowded senior level is? Or will she move up next season?

I'm hoping they field different teams for 4cc and worlds. Worlds: Rika, Satoko, Kaori and 4CC: Mai, Wakaba/Marin, Mako.

Surely Kaori will be at 4CC since she is defending champion.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan

Kawabata was an impressive recovery from 12th in the short.

So bummed about Miyu Honda. Just a touch over her season's best would have gotten her on the podium!!

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
So heartbroken for Mai. She could have won with that 3S and be going to GPF then there would be 4 Japanese ladies in the GPF. Mai has been so unlucky every season I have been following her. Wondering if anyone has any idea if she is training any new jumps/combos to make herself more competitive since the judges are so hell-bent against giving her the PCS scores she deserves?

Hard to train harder jumps with her desease. I've just read this https://mobile.twitter.com/juronom/status/1066573350284095489
It would be a nightmare to see her stop in the middle of a program.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
A reality show documenting the lives and unique issues of these skaters would probably prove to be as popular as the performances themselves...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I thought she burst into tears from joy because she knew she made he podium, not because she was upset. Funny how people can interpret things differently.

Yeah, I thought she was worried she had blown her lead and the podium with the salchow error but in fact she got silver! I know they don't look at the scores of others really but it was pretty obvious after her very good FS and given her SP lead over Tennell that she would be on the podium. Too bad she didn't make the GPF as I think she could have made it more interesting than Samodurova will but hopefully she gets 4CC.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist

An interesting point about this video of Tomoe's FS performance: if you scroll down the video to around 5:14 time tag, on the screen the video shows some real time measurements of Tomoe's 3Lz jump. They incorporate a new special technique called 'Ice Scope' to get the real time numbers. So for that 3Lz, it has distance (of the jump): 2.43m; height: 0.57m; and in speed of 14.8 Km/hr. This is also drawing ppl's discussion on twitter about the new technique.

DenissVFan

Medalist
Congratulations to the medallists! :) Yuhana's strategy to stay in juniors is paying off.

An interesting point about this video of Tomoe's FS performance: if you scroll down the video to around 5:14 time tag, on the screen the video shows some real time measurements of Tomoe's 3Lz jump. They incorporate a new special technique called 'Ice Scope' to get the real time numbers. So for that 3Lz, it has distance (of the jump): 2.43m; height: 0.57m; and in speed of 14.8 Km/hr. This is also drawing ppl's discussion on twitter about the new technique.

This is really cool. Such a tool could be used to apply GOE, making it more objective.

tosca

On the Ice
Hard to train harder jumps with her desease. I've just read this https://mobile.twitter.com/juronom/status/1066573350284095489
It would be a nightmare to see her stop in the middle of a program.

Thank you for sharing! Poor Mai. Her arthritis flared up during off season which is why she didn’t have enough time on the ice to get a new FS (according to various reports)! So poorly timed... just like when she skated in JGPF

chloepoco

Medalist
Thank you for sharing! Poor Mai. Her arthritis flared up during off season which is why she didn’t have enough time on the ice to get a new FS (according to various reports)! So poorly timed... just like when she skated in JGPF

Oh gosh; she’s been skating so well I forgot about her fight with this illness! Now it makes me even more upset for her when so many people talk about how unremarkable she is, or that she’s so forgettable, etc. Mai is even more amazing to me now!

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Just a little appreciation post for the Kobe skaters who are my Japanese favorites! Mai and Kaori, who both did really well on the GP! :hap10:

tosca

On the Ice
Just a little appreciation post for the Kobe skaters who are my Japanese favorites! Mai and Kaori, who both did really well on the GP! :hap10:

Love the Kobe women! They both improved on their placements from last year - and special shout-out to Mai for breaking her 4th place curse!

So happy to see 3 Japanese in the GPF and the 1st alternate being Japanese. Speaks volumes to the amazing talent of all these skaters!