2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 102 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

ioanna

Record Breaker
It’s like for Satoko it used to be to add 2A-3T at the end of program if she misses the first combo. Don’t know what it is now tho for her.

Same thing. At the beginning of the season, she had a 3Lo planned as the last jump in her FS but she changed it with a 2A in case of emergency.

leoleo

Medalist
Rika Kihira about the GPF : "I have to steady my jumps for my own sake", answered Rika with determination. They asked her about competing against Alina : "I only aim for skating both programs clean (SP and FS)". cr: https://twitter.com/juronom

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Just a little appreciation post for the Kobe skaters who are my Japanese favorites! Mai and Kaori, who both did really well on the GP! :hap10:

Thank you, Spirals! They are my girls!!! My family is from Tokyo, so I should really support Wakaba, but these two are very special. And best friends! Mai is so gutsy to have achieved what she has with her illness.

leoleo

Medalist
Stephane Lambiel was interviewed by the fans podcast of In The Loop and he said Satoko is the skater he enjoys watching the most because of the way she feels the music, she's a fantastic artist according to him (i mean we know that already :agree:)! if you want to hear what he said https://youtu.be/zyYVCi8WMDY?t=512

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Stephane Lambiel was interviewed by the fans podcast of In The Loop and he said Satoko is the skater he enjoys watching the most because of the way she feels the music, she's a fantastic artist according to him (i mean we know that already :agree:)! if you want to hear what he said https://youtu.be/zyYVCi8WMDY?t=512

Lambiel choreographed a few exhibition skates for Satoko, correct? I'd love to see him work with her on a competitive program :luv17:

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
I just saw that Yuna Shiraiwa was successful in raising a bundle of dough through crowdfunding to support her figure skating needs! Hope she can now focus on honing her talents instead of worrying about money.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I just saw that Yuna Shiraiwa was successful in raising a bundle of dough through crowdfunding to support her figure skating needs! Hope she can now focus on honing her talents instead of worrying about money.

Good for Yuna! I am happy to hear that she has received support. It is a sad thing to think of how much more diverse our field could be if figure skating were a more affordable sport :(

BlueZephyr

Spectator
Just thought everyone should know. Rika DOMINATED the 1st practice today. She did about 15 triple axels with some in combination and only fell on one.

Clean sp run and didnt miss a single triple-triple attempt.

She was ready and was jumping double axels within minutes of hitting the ice.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Just thought everyone should know. Rika DOMINATED the 1st practice today. She did about 15 triple axels with some in combination and only fell on one.

Sounds like we have our favorite! I wonder how Alina is going to do if Rika is this consistent with the 3A. Liza T must be thinking she needs to add a third 3A as well.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist

my bb out there snatching wigs

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Really hoping Rika can skate clean. I put her first in my predictions. I do think if Alina is clean, she will get gold. But even if Rika can not get gold here, getting on the podium at all is very respectable in this lineup! I am really rooting for her to get a PB :pray:

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
A new fan: Rika brought me here! Just wanted to say good luck to the girls and I'd love to see Rika skate two clean programs :)

Last edited:

Fluture

Record Breaker
A new fan: Rika brought me here! Just wanted to say good luck to the girls and I'd love to see Rika skate two clean programs :)

Same here! Rika (and Satoko, too) brought me to look at the Japanese skaters more closely. The only ones I‘ve really ever actively followed were the Russians but this season I‘ve fell in love with multiple skaters from other countries, too. Eunsoo and Yelim from Korea are truly so lovely. And Japanese skaters have so much potential, too, it’s crazy. Rika and Satoko are my favourites from this season, Wakaba was the one who really surprised me at Worlds last year (even though Satoko‘s Olympic performances were magnificent, too), Mai is a sweetheart and Kaori has jumps to die for. Even though they aren‘t as high as I thought they were, her knee bend and the soft landings more than make up for it. In juniors Tomoe has the best jump technique I have seen in years. She just has to get a bit more confident and consistent. But she has huge potential. I‘m wishing good luck to Rika, Satoko and Kaori at the GPF and hoping for clean skates and a great fight with the Russians!

Globetrotter

Medalist
Very interesting article. When Rika started training with Hamada she did not have any triple
http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2018/...rika-kihira-more-than-a-new-miss-triple-axel/

Very interesting to note that Coach Hamada has such a strong emphasis on basic edge work. She wants them quiet and smooth. It does show up that most of her students have very good basic SS. Hopefully they will also develop the strong jump techniques- Tomoe Kawabata has the best jump tech outside of Liza Tuks.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I‘m still debating whether or not to watch the SP live. I have to stand up at 7 a.m. on Friday and for my time zone the SP starts at 6 a.m so not a big difference. But I‘m afraid I might jinx someone by watching live....

leoleo

Medalist
Sounds like we have our favorite! I wonder how Alina is going to do if Rika is this consistent with the 3A. Liza T must be thinking she needs to add a third 3A as well.

Liza said she could very much add a second 3A in her FS but she does not feel mentally ready for that. She added the 3F tho so her base value is higher, she could very go over a clean satoko if clean. I think Alina is not one to falter when she really is in a fight mode. If she's already nervous then she might struggle but if she's on, she's really ON. I mean we've seen how strong she is mentally at the Olympics.

I hope everybody can go clean, i missed seeing Kaori compete so much, it feels like it's been an eternity since Helsinki. Satoko, well i trust her, she's been there, done that. Her consistency is remarkable, i hope the judges don't rob her of PCS scores again but i'd be surprised if they actually rewarded her for once :rolleye:

It seems many people are putting their bets on Rika and i really want her to go there and leave us all speechless but i hope people won't be too harsh if she does not live up to their expectations :noshake: