GPF: Ladies' FS - Thoughts and Highlights | Golden Skate

GPF: Ladies' FS - Thoughts and Highlights

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
rkf.jpg

Rika Kihira of Japan continued to ride the wave of gold-medal success this season in Vancouver, Canada, clinching a victory at her first Grand Prix Final. While she botched the opening triple Axel, Kihira followed up with a precise triple Axel-double toe loop combination and six other triples in her soulful program set to “Beautiful Storm” by Jennifer Thomas. The judges rewarded her ambition and finesse with a free skate score of 150.61 for a total competition score of 233.12.

“In terms of performance, it wasn’t something that deserves the win I thought but I am so happy with my score,” said Kihira. “Right after I made a mistake on my first triple Axel, I knew I had to jump all the other ones after properly as this is the Grand Prix Final and I have no other choice but to land successfully. I told myself after the mistake that this is a challenge I need to overcome.”

More...

Share your thoughts on the Senior Ladies' FS at the 2018-19 Grand Prix Final!

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Shout out to Sofia. I hope she at least gets to go to one more big competition! I hope she kills it at Nationals!

lichi

sui holding a deep edge
On the Ice
I think all the medal winners were very deserving, although I disagree on a few of the individual scores.

Rika demonstrated that she is consistent, and solidified her position as one of the top skaters.
Alina should be proud of her program, considering the injury (?) right before her skate. I hope she is okay!
Tukt's successful comeback is so amazing to see. I'll be rooting for her throughout this season! GL at Nats! What an Empress.
Kaori had a beautiful program with one unfortunate fall. Really love her free this season!
Sofia was on fire, clean program! Well deserved SB.
Satoko's PCS... I'm disappointed. Spectacular program.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Most of the ladies put down technically solid programs, but more importantly for me, (selfish fan that I am) each performed and brought something special to the event. It was exciting, enjoyable, had drama and close rivalry.
It was a GOOD event. :points: -Applause for all the Senior Ladies. They brought the house down.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
The podium was within reach for Kaori if she didn't try that off balance 2T. But she's now definitely a frontrunner for earning a spot at her first worlds.

Roast Toast

Medalist
I wondered what had Alina so stressed out and unhappy here, considering she's always been a confident free skate performer. A recent injury scare will do the trick, and I feel for her, but I wonder if the damage hasn't already been done. Rika's PCS will not be going down. The skating gods are fickle.

Roast Toast

Medalist
By the way, it was exactly ten years ago, at the 2008 GPF, that Mao Asada was the victor with a historic two triple axels in the free skate - the first woman to accomplish this feat. I'm so happy to see Rika walking in her footsteps and entering Japan's illustrious history in this sport! :love:

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Good podium!

The Ladies are doing better than the men right now,

Why are people saying Zagitova looks unhappy and stressed? She seems... fine to me
Probably just irked that she's losing her edge

Danny T

Medalist
Fantastic event. The competition was real until the very last minute, a real nail-biter for sure. Judging shenanigans aside, all the ladies offer something to the audience, I'm happy for those attended!

The level truly was very high today, only 1 (one) fall from Kaori's wacky 2T. Everyone scored above 200, calls or no calls. If there's an event to be rewatched in full (OK, maybe can do without the KnC score announcement :p) it's this. Congratulations to everyone :yahoo:

Good podium!

The Ladies are doing better than the men right now,

Why are people saying Zagitova looks unhappy and stressed? She seems... fine to me
Probably just irked that she's losing her edge

Compared to the other ladies she is definitely more tensed. The only lady who matched that energy was Evgenia at IDF.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
By the way, it was exactly ten years ago, at the 2008 GPF, that Mao Asada was the victor with a historic two triple axels in the free skate - the first woman to accomplish this feat. I'm so happy to see Rika walking in her footsteps and entering Japan's illustrious history in this sport! :love:

Before the free skate, I was thinking today would be the day Rika became the second lady to land three 3As in the same competition

It didn’t happen and Mao’s Guinness world record lives on.. until maybe 4CC or Worlds

leoleo

Medalist
Tuktamysheva's PCS should be higher.

Not really. Her programs are empty, her skating skills aren't fantastic! what should be higher are her GOEs because she is the best jumper in the field and she is not rewarded enough. Maybe judges just don't like that she telegraphs :confused2:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I recently asked would she dethrone Satoko. Sadly she did. And more importantly Zagitova. She did. Alina deserves better programs. Awful choreography. They need to look for less frenetic movement and see why people prefer the programs of the Japanesse ladies.

She is aolympic a champion and already a newcomer beats her at GPF. Alina ought to learn a quad if she can.

Satoko is pure elegance and Kaori neeeds polishing of her arms hands head positions and turnout. Also they need to package her better. Gee last year Wakaba was 16 and slaying. Japan and Russia are so deep they will continue to dominate. It seems our Bradie Tennell can’t catch up. Mariah is wonderful this year but can’t be scored higher? Only Katelyn could wiggle in there for a medal.

This and the next year is the maxing out of ladies technical. Quads triple axels. The men have maxed out. The pairs have done difficult jumps at least at Olympics. We have seen it all technically. Now for some beautiful skating. Jason Brown can do well in men’s still. But the latest are all 16 and tiny and doing all the technical stuff. The programs are amazing blurs. There is no such thing as a slow part with control. I guess it is exciting but in ladies or should I say juniors and teens it was amazing Med won two world titles. I rooted for Liza to come back because 21 is like senior citizen in ladies. Caro and Sergei V are strange anomalies in singles. Where I wonder are the Russian men. Little girls do quads but the men struggle? I wish I understood what happens over there in skating. I feel Liza is the least interesting oaf the 6 GP finalists. And without a perfect 3 axel I feel her skating is slow and her sexy act pretentious. Her jumps look textbook to me when done well but skating is not only about best quality jumps. At least it should be.

The men- wow. Nathan Chen and Shoma and Jun is growing but a long way to go. Makes me sad Nathan didn’t win gold in Peyongchang. To do what he does while a full time student plus he is a good musician. Such a mega talent. Hanyu could never do that SP. Chen is best in world and no bias.

The pairs didn’t watch yet. I like two teams left. 3 retired last year and there is none like Aliona. The French and Russian teams are good but I’m not into pairs anymore. Ice dance - happy for Hubbell and Donahue. They are pure skaters. But I so missed gabby and Guillaume. And Tessa and Scott. By the people viewing the GPF thread and all season we seem to have lost many many skating fans. I understand why. Too many greats retired or MIA.

I recently asked would she dethrone Satoko. Sadly she did. And more importantly Zagitova. She did. Alina deserves better programs. Awful choreography. They need to look for less frenetic movement and see why people prefer the programs of the Japanesse ladies.

She is aolympic a champion and already a newcomer beats her at GPF. Alina ought to learn a quad if she can.

This is too harsh. I don't agree with the results but Alina was injured, and quads will put her at more health risk.

Shanshani

On the Ice
Over the moon about Rika's win. She was amazing and didn't let the one mistake in the beginning to get to her.

Alina wasn't quite on today (I heard she might have been injured right before?) but she fought well and also didn't let the mistake get to her. Good for her!

Liza really sells her programs. Kaori skates with such flow and has beautiful airy jumps. Satoko is a delight to watch, and Sofia pulled out a really strong performance. Overall, a great event.