GPF: Pairs' FS - Thoughts and Highlights | Golden Skate

GPF: Pairs' FS - Thoughts and Highlights

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
mcf.jpg

Skating to “Wicked Game” and “The Last Feeling,” the 2018 World Championship bronze medalists put a lackluster short program behind them to land every high-risk element in their free skate, including side-by-side triple Salchows, a soaring throw triple twist and a solid throw triple flip and Salchow. The team earned 148.37 points for the glorious effort and finished the event with 219.88 points.

“We love this program and we are confident with this program,” said James. “And I just hope we keep working on this short program because this short program is at the point we can make and skate the way that we want to. The score could be amazing and the experience could be amazing. So we have to really work on the short program, but I am very proud that after such a deception yesterday that we could bring it home strong.”

“It’s kind of weird this year, because every season we meet them in every competition, at the Grand Prix, every where actually,” said Cipres about fact that this was their first meet up against the top Russian pairs and speculating that the much-anticipated showdown left them rattled. “To have this week the first time we met them, it was weird. I just like this fight. I was disappointed yesterday because we know we can beat them and we missed it yesterday.”

“I don’t want this anymore,” said James of their ‘bad short program followed by a strong long program’ cycle this season. “Having this long program so solid and strong will just help when we have a good short program. I know we have to fight every time after our short program to make up the points, but feeling more free and not having to try and try to make a comeback, I think will just liberate us a little bit more, I am hoping.

More...

Share your thoughts on the Pairs' FS at the 2018-19 Grand Prix Final!

Last edited:

lichi

sui holding a deep edge
On the Ice
Cried twice tonight. Once after James/Cipres, once after Peng/Jin. What to do with my life. :bow:

s_parks

Record Breaker
Happy for J/C and P/J. The latter finished out the final wonderfully. S/H still looking like heavy favorites for WC.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thoughts: Vanessa and Morgan were utterly brilliant! Congratulations!

And as I'm feeling snarky: The only thing worse than T/M having a not so good skate is all the fake condolences from people who just the day before said they were tasteless and embarrassing. It's insulting. Don't pretend you feel bad for them.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Vanessa and Morgan's program was stunning. I knew they had won after that. Skating in Canada delivers great results for them, it seems -- three straight wins this year alone, and all of their good free programs so far.

Going into the free I was worried either that Peng and Jin would have a meltdown or else would be squeaked off the podium, which would have annoyed me because they deserved a wider lead over the rest of the pack coming out of the short program. But they managed a silver medal and upset T/M, which would for me have been the most surprising result of the event if not for Stepanova/Bukin missing the ice dance podium entirely.

Speaking of T/M, that was a tough one. They've got a really nice free program this year (though I think they slightly mistimed the twist to that single musical note, which is hardly surprising since I have no idea how they manage to get it right most of the time when there's no leadup music to keep track of when to do it), but the mistakes keep happening when they're under the gun. They can take heart, I guess, that Europeans and Worlds aren't in Canada this year, so they won't be facing J/C in their place of power.

After Zabiyako/Enbert were past the SBS jumps and throws, I thought their TES was looking strong enough for a possible medal, then that bizarre lift botch.

Della Monica and Guarise, that meltdown was hard to watch.

Pavliuchenko and Khodykin should take pride that they made it here in their senior debut.

Midnightcass

On the Ice
J/C deserved the win. Definitely.

However...
If P/J won that would have honestly been the highlight of THIS SEASON (for me anyways). Damn... I’m so happy though. They showed that they’re not bottom tiered, the side line pair team of China. What a great result after not even qualifying for the FS at the Olympics.
Amazing. Love them. Peng has blossomed, bloomed, developed, leaped bounds and strides etc etc and I am here for it!

Ps:
But I’m still not going to admit the CSA did right by the split.

Pps:
All Chinese podium 2022 ayyyyyyyyy

ssminnow

Rinkside
How on earth did Z/E get a positive GOE on one throw where she touched down with her hand and ~+2 GOE on another throw where she held on to a shaky landing?

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Vanessa and Morgan totally killed it. They were amazing! How he does that lift at the very end (tired legs and all!) when he goes down on one knee is beyond me. Everything they did seemed so strong.

Peng and Jin were awesome. She always makes me a little nervous with her jumps, but they were pretty much in the zone tonight. It was great to see their coaches SO happy! I love their technique on the throws. He is masterful the way he gets her into such a great air position.

I hope Nicole wasn't hurt. She took a really hard fall in practice (I think it was yesterday), and I just wonder if that affected her.

Danny T

Medalist
The one year I'm finally warming up to T/M skating and their programmes, they decided to flop. I'm never rooting for any Russians ever again, the jinxing power is too strong.

Congratulations to J/C. Well-deserved win, great elements today. P/J was great too. Their free isn't as strong as their short IMO, but they held it together well. China's gonna be happy with them and S/H recovering.

Plumededragon

Medalist
J/C deserved to win, hands down! :cheer: :love: So very happy for them! But like they said, I do hope they’ll manage to stop the “Bad SP, Good FP” trend. :laugh: They can both do good!

P/J was a nice silver surprise! I was worried after their SBS2S but they did well for the rest of the program, trully deserved that 2nd place finish!

QuadThrow

Medalist
Well deserved podium.

T/M have been overscored in PCS the last two years. Their candyman got almost 74 PCS. This year´s FP is much better. I really enjoy the music and the costumes. Why the hell did the only get 70 PCS (less than P/J)? This is a hard statement made by the judging panel.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
That was a great competition. So happy for Vanessa and Morgan to have skated so well. A well-deserved win. Let's hope their short programme gets a boost the coming month, so they can show what they're capable of in that part of the competition (without letting the Long getting sloppy of course!) at European's. I loved watching both P/J and T/M as well, though it was a pity T/M did not skate to their ability. They've got a lovely programme this year. Now, I'm also hoping the Chinese will get the 3S SBS when I see them again. Seeing Z/E falter on a lift was unexpected, they were doing quite well before that. DM/G had a bit of a meltdown, and DM understandably was rather upset. I hope she's not injured as well. Lastly, P/K did well, although their whole programme is still very juniorish.

On the whole a great competition.

lavoix

Match Penalty
I thought the Chinese were sure to win, but when they opened with double salchows I was like w.t.f....so they deserved their silver, great performance and a great start to their season.

James/Cipres, it's their season to lose, so please don't screw it up!

Sad for Z/E, very unfortunate.

DM/G very sad as well, they need to sort their issues because they are beautiful.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
So pleased that J/C won! Their free skate is wonderful, all the elements fit so well to the music and the entry into each element is so creative, especially into the throw triple salchow.

Also pleased that P/J got the silver, they seemed really connected to the program, which made it great to watch.

Disappointed for Z/E, even though I prefer their short to their free, I hoped they might sneak on to the podium. Their 3toe-2toe-2loop combo is great, especially as it breaks the monotony of 3toe-2toe-2toe.

As for DM/G, they looked nervous at the start, and seeing Nicole so upset at the end was awful, but I hope they're pleased they achieved their goal of qualifying to the GPF, and get even stronger for Europeans and Worlds!

bobbob

Medalist
1. Don't be surprised...P/J are not attempting a triple salchow SBS, it is supposed to be a double

2. The judges seem to have dumped T/M...they got the same PCS as Z/E in the short, and lower than P/J in the free...I thought that after last season their PCS had risen to mid 70s levels...that does not seem to be the case, despite having better programs this year

3. Question about the botched lift: Can't Z/E argue they did the lift? Like it wasn't very clear the first thing was a Group 5 Lift and although it clearly was an attempt it can be argued it was just a choreo element or something and they should get credit.

Miriam090

Rinkside
3. Question about the botched lift: Can't Z/E argue they did the lift? Like it wasn't very clear the first thing was a Group 5 Lift and although it clearly was an attempt it can be argued it was just a choreo element or something and they should get credit.

I thought that too... you COULD (just about) argue it as an assisted leap prior to the lift... Not that it would've changed their placing - at least i don't think so anyway

Sk8swan

On the Ice
I hope Nicole wasn't hurt. She took a really hard fall in practice (I think it was yesterday), and I just wonder if that affected her.

May I ask what kind of fall she had? I'm a bit worried... she didn't look much herself these days, completely different from COR for instance...

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
May I ask what kind of fall she had? I'm a bit worried... she didn't look much herself these days, completely different from COR for instance...

I'm going from memory here, and after 4 solid days of skating, it all kind of runs together! I do remember in a practice, they did a throw and am remembering that she fell really hard. Seems to me she also gave him a really dirty look afterwards - like he screwed up the set up possibly? Prior to that, I remember her hitting her jumps really well, etc. I definitely do remember her falling.