GPF: Ladies' FS - Thoughts and Highlights | Page 5 | Golden Skate

GPF: Ladies' FS - Thoughts and Highlights

icybear

Medalist
A technical mistake, in theory at least, is not supposed to affect PCS. I think her PCS was well-deserved. I haven't re-watched her NHK performance but if she skated like she did here, she was under-scored there.

In theory yes but who doesnt know clean performance = boost in pcs.

leoleo

Medalist
Khira fs at NHK with a flawless performance got her 67 pcs. Her performance here with an << foot down 3a got her 72 pcs. So a blotched 3a gives her 5 pts more pcs than a clean one because performance wise her fs at NHK was definitely better

they were not going to give her 72 pcs at her senior GP debut no matter how incredible that performance at NHK was, it was just never going to happen. PCS has peaked at GPF for every winner in the past seasons, for Evgenia for Alina and now for Rika. It's not unusual,, it actually follows the pattern really well. And judges seem to love giving scores that reflect the TES score as well, even with a hand down on the first 3A, she still had a perfect second one in combo and scored 78

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Congrats to all the medalists. Rika was fantastic and I'm so sad Kaori maybe lost an opportunity to podium with that fall. Satoko's PCS were the biggest robbery of the competition, though. Sofia was awesome too, Liza showed her showmanship and Alina was a fighter, nursing a foot injury she got earlier. All in all, it was a great final. My favourite of all the disciplines.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
To me the highlights of the freeskate were

1. Miyhara´s beautiful interpretation & the choreography combined with the music, just fantastic!
2. Kihira´s awesome jumping and skating

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alina seemed worried when she lost the SP to Rika---and that was before the injury. IMO, Alina knew then that there was a real chance she wasn't going to repeat as GPF champion. If she was injured, that's more reason for her grim and anxious face as she started the FS.

I agree with other posters that Alina was ill-served by being given warhorse programs with slapdash choreography. POTO and Carmen? Why, why, why?

I have to admit I've never been much of an Alina fan because her bent-over posture was a turnoff right from the first time I saw her skate. But surely she deserves better from her coaching team than the dreck she's been given this season. She's never seemed happy and relaxed, and maybe it's because she's feeling vulnerable. Next season some of those quad jumpers will be in direct competition with her, and she may not be #1 with her coaches any more.

mrrice

Record Breaker
This is first time I have seen Rika Kihira….What a delight, and so young. I look forward to following her career. I'm also happy for Tuk. She must be feeling pressure with so much talent in her country. What a nice event this was. I am really looking forward to Worlds.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Alina seemed worried when she lost the SP to Rika---and that was before the injury. IMO, Alina knew then that there was a real chance she wasn't going to repeat as GPF champion. If she was injured, that's more reason for her grim and anxious face as she started the FS.

I agree with other posters that Alina was ill-served by being given warhorse programs with slapdash choreography. POTO and Carmen? Why, why, why?

I have to admit I've never been much of an Alina fan because her bent-over posture was a turnoff right from the first time I saw her skate. But surely she deserves better from her coaching team than the dreck she's been given this season. She's never seemed happy and relaxed, and maybe it's because she's feeling vulnerable. Next season some of those quad jumpers will be in direct competition with her, and she may not be #1 with her coaches any more.

I actually really like Alina‘s Carmen. Imo, it‘s a good vehicle for her and she usually sells it really well. This wasn‘t her best competition but at Japan Open and Nebelhorn Trophy I think it was obvious how much she enjoys this program. She also said she’s wanted to skate to Carmen for a long time. The SP is an issue for me, however. There are wonderful moments in it and had one idea been kept and used thouroughly it could have been a good program. But like this it‘s just a lot of things thrown into one program and it doesn‘t serve her well.

leoleo

Medalist
I actually really like Alina‘s Carmen. Imo, it‘s a good vehicle for her and she usually sells it really well. This wasn‘t her best competition but at Japan Open and Nebelhorn Trophy I think it was obvious how much she enjoys this program. She also said she’s wanted to skate to Carmen for a long time. The SP is an issue for me, however. There are wonderful moments in it and had one idea been kept and used thouroughly it could have been a good program. But like this it‘s just a lot of things thrown into one program and it doesn‘t serve her well.

I actually think despite being nervous she sold that step sequence here the best i have ever seen her do it, she was on fire and i was so glad to see that cause the look on her face before she even started, and the mistake on the first combo... i did not expect her to recover that well and even wondered if it would end up being a messy performance but in the end apart from usual URs she did really well. i saw her smile during the step sequence like she was truly enjoying it and she was decided to give it her all until the end. That was beautiful.

skatingfan200

Medalist
Good competition from the ladies. A disappointment was the TP. Esp. Alina was lucky that the TP did not call the underrotation jumps.

Anyway congrats to Rika, deserved win.

Mr Cat

Rinkside
Zagitova needs to back to her old strategy and back load her 3/3s... mabye 5th and 6th jumping passes. And mabye nix the lutz/toe and do two lutz/loops. She can do it

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
A technical mistake, in theory at least, is not supposed to affect PCS. I think her PCS was well-deserved. I haven't re-watched her NHK performance but if she skated like she did here, she was under-scored there.

That was true in prior seasons but not now. For performances with a fall or serious error, PCS is supposed to be capped. <9.50 in SS, TR, and CO and <9.0 in PE and IE.

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
It's really hard to interpret someone's facial expressions, especially under stress.

Alina did a great job in both programs, despite obviously underrotating several jumps. Still, she did very well. She should be very proud of herself for delivering great skates at the GPF. I hope she can still deliver her best for the rest of the season, because she's so talented. I agree with many on here that her programs this season highlight her shortcomings as a skater, which is unfortunate. She has charisma and star power, and I can't wait for her to back it up with better carriage, less hunching over, and higher quality transitions. My favorite of the Russians this season. I hope she has a long career, but this might mean parting ways with Eteri. Maybe she could go to Tsareva?

Liza was also very lucky to skate away with third. Kaori (even with a fall) could have placed above Liza if a different panel had been judging.

Liza's edgework and mastery over the blade is very poor in comparison to Kaori. Maybe Liza used a discarded Ashley Wagner program, because there were simply not enough transitions, and the ones that she did weren't very good. It's a shame that Kaori has such great skating skills below the knees...but above the knees tells a different story. Kaori needs to learn how to connect great skating skills with great carriage.

Rika also did very well and did her best. Kudos to her. Can't wait for the bloodbath that'll be Japanese Nationals. Hopefully Japanese Nationals, like this Grand Prix Final, will be a competition where skaters more or less do the absolute best that they can on those competition days because it's really exciting when everyone skates well and is marked fairly.

Now if you'll excuse me I've got a chip on my shoulder to fill after seeing Satoko getting robbed blind with respect to PCS.

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight

Funny...I like POTO but not her Carmen.

Having just seen the performances on the big little screen, I have to say that Liza's was my favorite. They were all good, though.

Ziotic

Medalist
While I mentioned this in the gala thread another poster rightly pointed out it’s not the right place, but this thread is.

I’m thoroughly disappointed by the lack of sportsmanship exhibited by Zagitovas team. I’m not saying it was her call per se, but she’s OGM she absolutely has PR assistance

If she was injured fine, but why wait until after her skate and after her loss to bring it to the media. There is no disputing the timeline of events. It just leaves such a sour taste of being unable to gracefully handle defeat.

While true she’s not my cup of tea I find the behaviour towards Rika so unkind and undermining of her achievement.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think Rika will soon realise that the pressure to meet everyone's expectations is a whole different monster and Japan is hungry for another lady like Mao. It's different from wanting to get a good score in your senior debut, and the experience from Junior Worlds won't teach her that. I'm not being pessimistic but even Yuna depended on Mao for motivation. FS is always better with rivalries and not one skater being dominant over the other.

The rivalries change every year now. Actually every competition. It is insane how crazy high the tech aspect is. But I still love Satoko because she is alone in her stunning presentation etc. she is the woman out there. Liza is back this year and I liked her better after seeing her on TV. Online is just harder to see and camera angles and all. Her jumps are big and her forte so more GOE as folks have said. Alina is a talent. I just can’t take the choreography. She seems so young still junior like at points. The judges are schizoid. Last year her backloading won. But she was up against another Eteri phenom. The system needs more changes. Rika has the triple axel. Alina expected gold again but she is learning no one is a shoe in anymore. That is how it is nowadays. Silver is very good result. I just can’t get with 72 pcs for a crazy quilt program like that. I don’t get the judges. Oh well. That is why we watch those we enjoy more. Judging is out of our hands. Frustrating many times tho. People like Alina the girl. I think judges like her as a person. She seems like a child - they all do. Sometimes I wish Senior meant over age18. The puberty wouldn’t derail all the Uber girls. Sigh.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Zagitova needs to back to her old strategy and back load her 3/3s... mabye 5th and 6th jumping passes. And mabye nix the lutz/toe and do two lutz/loops. She can do it

Um they changed the rules. Because of her program you can’t backload every jump. Balance was gone and had to be restored because Eteri will just sit there and do the math. Not choreograph beautiful balanced programs. The Japanese are better at beauty.

ribbit

On the Ice
Um they changed the rules. Because of her program you can’t backload every jump. Balance was gone and had to be restored because Eteri will just sit there and do the math. Not choreograph beautiful balanced programs. The Japanese are better at beauty.

They changed the rules, if I understand correctly, to apply the 10% bonus to only the last jumping pass in the short program and the last three in the long program, assuming that those passes are completed in the second half of the program. So Alina (or any skater) could still theoretically do her 3/3s as two of her last three jumping passes--or even do her three combos as her last three jumping passes--and receive the 10% bonus.

Whether the PCS for such a program would take a hit for continuing to backload the greatest jump difficulty against what seems to be the spirit of the new rule, and whether a skater would have the physical and mental stamina to pull off such a high-risk/high-reward strategy, are separate questions.