TAT interview about Medvedeva, Zagitova, Tuktamysheva | Page 2 | Golden Skate

TAT interview about Medvedeva, Zagitova, Tuktamysheva

skatingfan200

Medalist
That is a pretty old interview.
Based on what they said after rusnats, they expected it to be sort of a temporary struggle, and for her to come back strong "next competition".
See Tchaikovskaya saying that they expected worlds team to be Alina, Zhenya and whoever.

As for the world spot. Mishin was told to prepare Liza for Worlds by rusfed. Which means that they are clearly inclined to send her if she can skate.
Overall, i think we can be pretty sure that Zhenya will be a sub, and likely the second sub, and will not go to worlds unless 2 out of Zagitova, Konstantinova, Tuktamysheva, Samodurova will be injured or sick.

TBH, if this does not happen, it will be utterly unfair to the other girls.

This interview is one month old, i consider this still Gorshkov´s (president of the Fed) opinion.

Unfair? It´s not like Samodurova or Konstantinova were much better this season and had a much bigger score at the Grand Prix´s. Zhenya has the higher scoring potential internationaly. Anyway, we can discuss it but in the end, the Fed will decide.

malya

On the Ice
From what has been written, it might be the reason the coaching council did not tell Brian to prepare Zhenya for a possible start as an alternate at worlds is TAT. She is the connection between her team and the council and WAS NOT EVEN THERE. Who knows, maybe they will still give her a chance but wont communicate through TAT anymore if she rather complains to the press instead of taking part in constructive discussions... I can understand anyone who is fed up with this lady.

I'm on team 'Sofia deserves her place!!' but if Zhenya wants to fight and let's say does an international event almost clean (~> 215+) and convinces in the Russian Cup final (-> more points :D) and others struggle/don't get healthy why should the door be closed? If they don't show anything and expect to be invited because of TATs public complaints then please, please no.

skatingfan200

Medalist
if Zhenya wants to fight and let's say does an international event almost clean (~> 215+) and convinces in the Russian Cup final (-> more points :D) and others struggle/don't get healthy why should the door be closed? If they don't show anything and expect to be invited because of TATs public complaints then please, please no.
https://twitter.com/TheAnnaWatson/status/1077852476081143809
yes, maybe russian cup final.

moriel

Record Breaker
This interview is one month old, i consider this still Gorshkov´s (president of the Fed) opinion.

Unfair? It´s not like Samodurova or Konstantinova were much better this season and had a much bigger score at the Grand Prix´s. Zhenya has the higher scoring potential internationaly. Anyway, we can discuss it but in the end, the Fed will decide.

I disagree with that. Samodurova was lowballed in PCs, but still did better than Zhenya during GP, and Konstantinova did better than Zhenya at nationals, and same in GPs.
Scoring potential is debatable. For instance, ive seen quite a few people who were at nationals reporting she was extremely slow in the FS. Honestly, just not this season. If she comes back strong nest season, sure, but this season she didn't deserve it.

skatingfan200

Medalist
I disagree with that. Samodurova was lowballed in PCs, but still did better than Zhenya during GP, and Konstantinova did better than Zhenya at nationals, and same in GPs.
ok, but the judges do not agree with you. Fact is, as i wrote, there was not much different, points wise.
Scoring potential is debatable. For instance, ive seen quite a few people who were at nationals reporting she was extremely slow in the FS. Honestly, just not this season. If she comes back strong nest season, sure, but this season she didn't deserve it

I think scoring potential should be clear with the rest I disagree.

NoviceFan

Triple Something-Triple Looping
Medalist
This actually proves skatingfan200's point that both have a pretty low ceiling.

I agree with you that both were consistent (more Samodurova than Konstantinova) this season so far. But skatingfan200's point is that even when you take both of their scores (for clean performances), they are in the vicinity of (a struggling) Evgenia's scores.

Scoring potential - let's say (for the sake of argument) that the "people who were at nationals" were correct that Evgenia "was extremely slow in the FS" - yet she still scored higher than Samodurova and Konstantinova in the FS. Does this not also prove that Evgenia has a higher scoring potential than the two? I am assuming that you are also asserting that Samodurova and Konstantinova were faster than Evgenia, otherwise, pointing out that she was "extremely slow" would not make any sense. So following that logic, a fast Samodurova and Konstantinova were scored lower than an "extremely slow" Evgenia - still showing that they have a low ceiling.

Scoring potential is debatable. For instance, ive seen quite a few people who were at nationals reporting she was extremely slow in the FS. Honestly, just not this season. If she comes back strong nest season, sure, but this season she didn't deserve it.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I disagree about Konstantinova not doing better than Medvedeva this season. She did better. She finished above her in the GPF alternate list, skated two clean free programs in GPs, is improving on consistency. Medvedeva scored higher in FS at nats but Konstantinova did better overall (and should have won the FS among seniors IMO. Medvedeva wouldn't have been close to that score internationally). She did better in GPs and at nats, and that is what matters.
Potential scoring. The reality is that Medvedeva's SB is 204. A score that can't put her in medal contention at worlds anyway. A score that Samodurova beat and Konstantinova's SB is not far from that. If clean Medvedeva can score higher but she didn't, and that is what matters.
Konstantinova and Samodurova deserve to have a chance to go to worlds. Euros should be the competition which will decide who between the two SHOULD get the spot, not the competition which will decide IF one of them get the spot or Medvedeva.

NoviceFan

Medalist
I disagree about Konstantinova not doing better than Medvedeva this season. She did better. She finished above her in the GPF alternate list, skated two clean free programs in GPs, is improving on consistency. Medvedeva scored higher in FS at nats but Konstantinova did better overall (and should have won the FS among seniors IMO. Medvedeva wouldn't have been close to that score internationally). She did better in GPs and at nats, and that is what matters.
Potential scoring. The reality is that Medvedeva's SB is 204. A score that can't put her in medal contention at worlds anyway. A score that Samodurova beat and Konstantinova's PB is not far from that. If clean Medvedeva can score higher but she didn't, and that is what matters.
Konstantinova and Samodurova deserve to have a chance to go to worlds. Euros should be the competition which will decide who between the two SHOULD get the spot, not the competition which will decide IF one of them get the spot or Medvedeva.

Disclaimer: I do not dislike Konstantinova. However, I like facts. So when you say she did better than Evgenia in the GP series this year, I like to compare their scores and see if facts support that assertion. See below:

Konstantinova:

GP Helsinki - SP: 62.56 (TES: 32.67; PCS: 30.89); FP: 135.01 (TES: 73.57; PCS: 61.44) = 197.57
GP France - SP: 54.91 (TES: 23.80; PCS: 31.11); FP: 134.76 (TES: 71.33; PCS: 63.43) = 189.67

Medvedeva:

Skate Canada - SP: 60.83 (TES: 26.50; PCS: 34.33); FP: 137.08 (TES: 66.52; PCS: 70.56) = 197.91
GP France - SP: 67.55 (TES: 32.65; PCS: 34.90); FP: 125.26 (TES: 57.46; PCS: 68.80) = 192.81

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Let's look at their GP scores then:

Konstantinova:

GP Helsinki - SP: 62.56 (TES: 32.67; PCS: 30.89); FP: 135.01 (TES: 73.57; PCS: 61.44) = 197.57
GP France - SP: 54.91 (TES: 23.80; PCS: 31.11); FP: 134.76 (TES: 71.33; PCS: 63.43) = 189.67

Medvedeva:

Skate Canada - SP: 60.83 (TES: 26.50; PCS: 34.33); FP: 137.08 (TES: 66.52; PCS: 70.56) = 197.91
GP France - SP: 67.55 (TES: 32.65; PCS: 34.90) Calls: 3Lz !; FP: 125.26 (TES: 57.46; PCS: 68.80) = 192.81

And? The thing is overall Konstantinova finished above her in standings. They got the same score at their first GP and there is like a gap of only 3 points between their second GP scores. If scores were the most important, many skaters wouldn't compete at GPF while others would have qualified.
And scores don't always shows who skated better, but who scored better. Some can have higher scores because of their PCS while they did more mistakes than those who got lower scores.

NoviceFan

Medalist
While some underrotate most of their jumps and never get called at all....;)

Forgive me, I do not understand why you would assert that their scores were so close, then go on to say scores do not matter.

And? The thing is overall Konstantinova finished above her in standings. They got the same score at their first GP and there is like a gap of
only 3 points between their second GP scores. If scores were the most important, many skaters wouldn't compete at GPF while others would have qualified.
And scores don't always shows who skated better, but who scored better. Some can have higher scores because of their PCS while they did more mistakes than those who got lower scores.

Giltedge

Final Flight
It is to be hoped that this demonstrates new-found bravery by some at council hitherto too cowardly to stand up to TAT. Further, when there's such a baffling tendency to blow hot and cold all the time (in someone so outspoken), eventually even supporters will start glazing over and switching off. :hopelessness:

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
From the second Liza withdrew from RN due to illness, it became clear that those who want to go to the World championship will have to earn 1st and 2nd place at Russian Nationals.

I see no point in comparing the success at international competitions of Medvedeva and Konstantinova, because Konstantinova won the gold at RN. The evaluation of the entire season matters only for the 3rd spot, so the coaches council had to choose between Liza, Evgenia, Sofia, others, and the choice was obvious. I think Liza fully deserves the spot, if she is healthy by then.

They cannot choose all three skaters; only the third one.

The Universiada appointment for Liza also makes sense, because she miss the Europeans and needs a competition to get in shape for worlds. I agree that Konstantinova‘s appointment to Universiada is a bit puzzling, so maybe the Fed (just like all of us) are not sure in her potential and may decide for Worlds based on her performance at Euro and Universiada.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
From the second Liza withdrew from RN due to illness, it became clear that those who want to go to the World championship will have to earn 1st and 2nd place at Russian Nationals.

I see no point in comparing the success at international competitions of Medvedeva and Konstantinova, because Konstantinova won the gold at RN. The evaluation of the entire season matters only for the 3rd spot.
Well, some think that Konstantinova being the first senior at RN is not enough.

skatingfan200

Medalist

The Universiada appointment for Liza also makes sense, because she miss the Europeans and needs a competition to get in shape for worlds. I agree that Konstantinova‘s appointment to Universiada is a bit puzzling, so maybe the Fed (just like all of us) are not sure in her potential and may decide for Worlds based on her performance at Euro and Universiada.

The Universade team will likely be changed after the World team announcement. As for World, is there a rule that the first and second place at Nats will automatically go to the World Championship? I have not seen it, this is only the case for the Euro qualification.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Well, some think that Konstantinova being the first senior at RN is not enough.

That’s mad to me. If you can’t make the world team by being the top eligible senior what can you do?

We can theorise about scoring potential but it’s only fair to take this seasons actual results into account. Konstantinova was the top senior at nationals and Sofia the third to Zhenya’s forth senior lady. Sofia qualified for the GPF, Konstantinova as 2nd alternate and Zhenya 3rd alternate.

Zhenya is two time world champion and regaining Olympic runner up but this season these other ladies have done everything right and deserve their reward. For Zhenya there is always next year. I believe the only way is up and perhaps it’s better in the long run that she have more time to train for next season.

malya

On the Ice
All these speculations are useless until we have a bit more information.

Is Liza even able to get back in shape?
If Stasya does great and gets silver at Europeans over Sofia nobody will want her replaced. Remember she has a high standing nationally.
Can Zhenya show her scoring potential and cleanish skates somewhere to get her into the fight (preferable 2+ tournaments to show some consistency) and does she even want to?
Alina is the only one that should be set after her season (if healthy)

(Praise this forum!! Nobody actually argues that TAT was justified with her dumb 'I chose to not be there so what you decided is dumb and unfair' whining... <3 )

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
I think last year Evgenia Medvedeva missed RN because of her injury and, of course, she was still to go to Euro and Worlds. Having this 3rd spot at the discretion of the couching council (instead of simply sending the bronze medalist) seems wise to me, exactly because injuries and illnesses or a bad day happen. But, ultimately, the main factor in the selection remains the Rissian Nationals, I believe that‘s the idea. Averbuh was suggesting to have test skates before Worlds, but that will make RN obsolete and seems unfair. Don‘t get me wrong, I am not a fan of Konstantinova and having Evgenia, Alina and Liza on the same competition would be incredibly interesting, but it wouldn‘t be fair at all. In case someone has to be replaced for some reason, IMO Samodurova is a safer bet for Worlds, because she has been incredibely consistent the entire season. And it is key to keep the 3 spots this year and not to take any risks, because can you imagine the tragedy next year when Sasha, Anna, Alona, Alina, Zhenia and Liza (at least) have to fight for only two spots?

Amei

Record Breaker
You know what would probably send the Rus Fed into having stomach ulcers and make this board explode - Stasya and Sofia going 1-2 at Europeans I'm totally rooting for these 2 to go 1-2 :biggrin: