If i could give an OGM to someone without one | Page 4 | Golden Skate

If i could give an OGM to someone without one

Roo87

Medalist
Chan, Elvis, Kurt....Canadian men curse.

Osmond. I hope TSL does a series where they go over the skates from the 2018 olympics and reward GOE the appropriate ways like they did in the "Yuna was robbed" series.

yea I'm a bias Canadian.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Ksenia Stolbova & Fedor Klimov. They really were brilliant in 2014 :love: I trust Sui/Han will get their OGM :)

I'd like to go w-a-a-y back to Cecelia Colledge, the first woman to do a double jump. She could easily have been placed first over Sonja Henie at the 1936 Olympics, and she would have been the odds-on favorite to win the 1940 Olympics and probably the 1944 Olympics as well.

Instead, all international skating competitions were cancelled due to World War II and Colledge spent those years as an ambulance driver in London.

Trivia question: The Cecelia Colledge Memorial Fund Prize is awarded to the skaters (girl and boy) who score the highest in PCS at the novice level at U.S. Nationals. Who is this, winning in 2012?

https://gokarenchen.files.wordpress...-colledge-memorial-fund-award.jpg?w=255&h=300

(The lady in the picture is not Colledge. Colledge died in 2008 at age 87.)

Next question: Who is this, winning the Colledge Award in 2011? (He also won in 2010.)

http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/images/nationals/2011 nationals/us 2011 NMFS2648.JPG

Edit: Well, I guess the url title gives away the answer to the first one. ;)

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
This is difficult, because I agree with certain posters that it would probably be to the detriment of someone who did get that OGM, and an OGM is pretty special. Do I want to take it away from them? Not really. Having said that I really would have liked both Michelle Kwan and Irina Slutskaya to have got one. Nothing to the detriment of either Tara or Sarah who both skated beautifully, but to be fair, I'm still not sure it shouldn't have been Kwan in 1998 who won - despite not having a triple loop-triple loop combination - while in the case of Slutskaya she would have got it if the judging had been fair in the short programme and she had been first after that short programme. Sarah won the free skate fair and square (no question) but under the existing 6.0 system she wouldn't have won if Irina had been in first place as she should have been. Funny really. The judges undeservedly put Kwan in first in 2002 (contrary to 1998 where she deservedly was first after the short), which led to Sarah winning, while I expect Kwan might not even have been there if she had gotten her OGM in 1998. Perhaps Kwan and Slutskaya not getting an OGM gave us all those extra years of enjoyment with these two skaters!

Inessence

Rinkside
Had they skated their best:

1988: Ito/Browning
1992: Harding/Bowman
1994: Stoiko (Could make a case for Kerrigan)
1998: Kwan
2002: Slutskaya
2006: Coen
2010: Asada/Weir
2014: Yuna
2018: Evgenia/Chen

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
This is difficult, because I agree with certain posters that it would probably be to the detriment of someone who did get that OGM, and an OGM is pretty special. Do I want to take it away from them? Not really. Having said that I really would have liked both Michelle Kwan and Irina Slutskaya to have got one. Nothing to the detriment of either Tara or Sarah who both skated beautifully, but to be fair, I'm still not sure it shouldn't have been Kwan in 1998 who won - despite not having a triple loop-triple loop combination - while in the case of Slutskaya she would have got it if the judging had been fair in the short programme and she had been first after that short programme. Sarah won the free skate fair and square (no question) but under the existing 6.0 system she wouldn't have won if Irina had been in first place as she should have been. Funny really. The judges undeservedly put Kwan in first in 2002 (contrary to 1998 where she deservedly was first after the short), which led to Sarah winning, while I expect Kwan might not even have been there if she had gotten her OGM in 1998. Perhaps Kwan and Slutskaya not getting an OGM gave us all those extra years of enjoyment with these two skaters!

Had Slutskaya been in first after the SP, she might have felt more pressure and skated her LP even worse. Or not. But I do think the SP placement does have a psychological impact, and being in the lead could cause a skater to skate better or worse.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Had they skated their best:

1988: Ito/Browning
1992: Harding/Bowman
1994: Stoiko (Could make a case for Kerrigan)
1998: Kwan
2002: Slutskaya
2006: Coen
2010: Asada/Weir
2014: Yuna
2018: Evgenia/Chen

How was Asada supposed to win 2010 if she skated her best?

1904sk8

On the Ice
I know both p/c and sui/han have good chances to get an OGM in 2022 but if not they deserve it. I feel the OGMs in pairs and dance in PC were hugely deserved but I need p/c and s/h to get one too

Casual

On the Ice
Michelle Kwan and Mao Asada. They exemplified grace, class, elegance, artistry and longevity in this sport. I stan both of them :luv17:

They may not have OGMs but both are the most decorated skaters of their era respectively, as well as undisputed legends in the sport. You can't become the most decorated skater or a legend based off of just one performance... It's something that is earned over a period of time. It would have been wonderful to see them achieve their dream of winning OGM but not having that one medal doesn't make them any less amazing or inspiring in my mind.

Absolutely. It's better to be an Asada or a Kwan without (an OGM), than a Sotnikova with (an OGM).

As Terry (?) said about Nathan's gold medal winning skate at Nationals - "This (huge score) is nothing. The scores don't matter, it's all superfluous! THIS matters, watching this skating moment, which we will never forget".

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
He would never have been an Olympic champion on his own...except perhaps if he was the one to stand up when the others couldn't. But I would cheat a little, and give an Olympic ring to Max, because he so truly deserved to go.

The gold? The gold I would reserve for Joshua. I have no doubts whatsoever he could have done so.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Had Slutskaya been in first after the SP, she might have felt more pressure and skated her LP even worse. Or not. But I do think the SP placement does have a psychological impact, and being in the lead could cause a skater to skate better or worse.

You're right of course...But I always felt she was a bit unfairly done by at that Olympics. And there was no big outcry for her!

madison

Record Breaker
Evgenia Medvedeva
Papadakis/Cizeron.
Hopefully they will get their gold medals in 2022.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Chan, Elvis, Kurt....Canadian men curse.

Osmond. I hope TSL does a series where they go over the skates from the 2018 olympics and reward GOE the appropriate ways like they did in the "Yuna was robbed" series.

yea I'm a bias Canadian.

IMO, Osmond shouldn’t have won the Olympics, even if the GOE and PCS wasn’t as pro-Med/Zag. She had an error herself, and lower BV, and fewer transitions into and out of her jumps (even though the quality of the actual jumps were better overall). The scores should have been much closer, but I’d still give a slight edge to the Russians.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Kaetlyn seemed very happy with her individual medal - a very successful Olympics along with team gold of course. She isn’t really someone who I would wish or think deserved better.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wished that Elena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze had won the 2002 Pairs Olympic Gold Medal solo instead of sharing. I was so irritated at how a few tears could get a gold medal.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
I wished that Elena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze had won the 2002 Pairs Olympic Gold Medal solo instead of sharing. I was so irritated at how a few tears could get a gold medal.

This x 1,000,000,000!!!!