Interview with Daniil Gleikhengauz | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Interview with Daniil Gleikhengauz

Finley

Record Breaker

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
People on eteris team don't talk big. They just do it. ;)

Some people didn't like what danil said because of who he works for. With what's going to happen with their team in the future and by that I mean a lot of winning he may continue to talk confidently. Everyone will get used to it.

I thought what Daniil said was silly, it’s not that I did or didn’t like it :shrug:

Am I “some people” who said I “don’t like it” ETA: (which I didn’t) because of who he works for? That would be as incorrect as saying that “some people” will stick up for Daniil, even if he misspeaks, because of who he works for.

I just don’t get that argument :scratch:

katymay

Medalist
Very interesting and in depth. Thank you so much for all your work translating this for us!

Scott512

Record Breaker
I thought what Daniil said was silly, it’s not that I did or didn’t like it :shrug:

Am I “some people” who said I “don’t like it” ETA: (which I didn’t) because of who he works for? That would be as incorrect as saying that “some people” will stick up for Daniil, even if he misspeaks, because of who he works for.

I just don’t get that argument :scratch:
Your post sort of confused me.

How is speaking confidently silly? You can like it or not like it and obviously you did not like it even though you said you did not not like it. ;) I think Danil is right and no girl or lady of any consequence will be skating to Phantom of the Opera or Carmen for years. And I don't blame the ladies for not skating to those 2 war horses that Alina won gold with.

I go back to feeling that most people overreacted to what he said and how he said it. But I want someone to speak from the heart to say what they mean and in this instance Danil did just that.

pearly

Record Breaker

How is speaking confidently silly? You can like it or not like it and obviously you did not like it even though you said you did not not like it. ;) I think Danil is right and no girl or lady of any consequence will be skating to Phantom of the Opera or Carmen for years. And I don't blame the ladies for not skating to those 2 war horses that Alina won gold with.

I go back to feeling that most people overreacted to what he said and how he said it. But I want someone to speak from the heart to say what they mean and in this instance Danil did just that.

I think he is delusional, but here's to hoping you are right. Not because those programs were high quality music edits or superb choreo, but because we'd had enough of both pieces of music some time around 2002.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I think he is delusional, but here's to hoping you are right. Not because those programs were high quality music edits or superb choreo, but because we'd had enough of both pieces of music some time around 2002.

2002? That's the year Alina was born.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Well, if Daniil is right and Alina skating to music does away with it, maybe he should make her program a medley of La La Land, Schindler's list, Romea and Juliet, Swan Lake, Moulin Rouge, Four seasons and some other warhorses. Maybe he can throw in awful music cuts, to make sure those are never ever used again either.

And after this self-sacrifize... give her whatever she wants to skate to :D

Scott512

Record Breaker
It's also the year I graduated from high school, what does that have to do with anything?

I thought it was funny that you mentioned that particular year. Thats all.

I'm looking forward to what they come up with for Alina this year as far as music selections go. It better be good. Very good.

pearly

Record Breaker
I thought it was funny that you mentioned that particular year. Thats all.

I'm looking forward to what they come up with for Alina this year as far as music selections go. It better be good. Very good.

I see. I had no idea, but had we stopped in early 2000's, we'd have been spared many a Carmen and Phantom we didn't really need.
If she gets competition programs this year, I too hope they are of very different style.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I don’t think we are going to agree. You (and others) think that statement sounded confident; I think it didn’t. We can agree to disagree.

My only point in posting again was that I don’t think it would be fair to attribute my opinion to dislike of a team, dislike of a skater, fear and loathing or anything like that. It’s my opinion, and someone may think it’s incorrect, okey dokey. :thumbsup:Just not dismissed as rooted in an emotion about a team or a skater or any other entity or person that I don’t have :scratch2:

That is all:)

Claudalie

Rinkside
reading the comments and arguments here, I am kind of curious about how many Carmen and Phantom programs can anyone remember apart from Witt's Carmen? Phantom?

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
reading the comments and arguments here, I am kind of curious about how many Carmen and Phantom programs can anyone remember apart from Witt's Carmen? Phantom?
Debi Thomas' Carmen, Scott & Moir Carmen, Evgeni Plushenko's Carmen, Yuna Kim skated to Carmen, Michelle Kwan skated to Carmen, Mao Asada to Carmen, Mirai Nagasu to Carmen, Sasha Cohen to Carmen, Adelina Sotnikova to Carmen, Meryl Davis & Charlie White to POTO,
Akiko Suzuku to POTO, Gracie Gold to POTO, Patrick Chan to POTO, Brian Boitano to POTO, Alexia Paganini to POTO, Daisuke Takahashi to POTO, Yuzuru Hanyu to POTO.. I could go on and on. There were maaaaaany memorable performances

I think there is a reason why skaters choose these war horses over and over. There is just something in the musical structure that screams "ice skating." The first four notes of "Music of the Night" -- what else jumps to mind except four glorious gliding strokes across an ice surface? :yes:

On the subject of owning music, I would say that the only skaters that ever owned anything were Torvill and Dean with Bolero. Although others have tried it since, the comparison always comes up, and to the disadvantage of everyone else.

Michelle Kwan dared to attempt Bolero only with Christopher Dean as choreographer. As the season progressed, Michelle (at the end of her career and increasingly struggling with chronic ailments), changed the choreography around until not much was left of the original. It turned out to be perhaps Michelle's least memorable LP, though she did win U.S. Nationals with it.

(In contrast Michelle's 1999 SP to Carmen Suite was one of her best -- let Daniil try to match this Lori Nichol gem. ;) ).

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great programs have nothing to do with winning, with medals, or with scores.

If you've never seen it, do yourself a favor. As the announcers would say, Sammi Cesario *is* Carmen :yes:

Sammi Cesario at 2015 US Nats

moriel

Record Breaker
I would say there is another reason for warhorses: usually those are fairly well known pieces, so the audience already knows the story. Which means there is less storytelling left for the skater, which makes it easier.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would say there is another reason for warhorses: usually those are fairly well known pieces, so the audience already knows the story. Which means there is less storytelling left for the skater, which makes it easier.

This is a good point; we see red lipstick and a rose and hair in a bun and we hear a few bars, and aha, Carmen. (NOT addressing Alina here, but every ladies skater ever)

Then again, does it make it harder? We see the red lipstick and the rose and we think, well, this can’t be as good as Katarina/Michelle/Sammi C., so prove it to me?

Maybe this is a thread: Warhorse plus and minus;)

And I agree with @Mathman, the only music “owned” is T&D’s Bolero. If you’re skating that, you better be wearing purple chiffon:laugh:

Scott512

Record Breaker
I don’t think we are going to agree. You (and others) think that statement sounded confident; I think it didn’t. We can agree to disagree.

My only point in posting again was that I don’t think it would be fair to attribute my opinion to dislike of a team, dislike of a skater, fear and loathing or anything like that. It’s my opinion, and someone may think it’s incorrect, okey dokey. :thumbsup:Just not dismissed as rooted in an emotion about a team or a skater or any other entity or person that I don’t have :scratch2:

That is all:)

That is fair mon frere.