Best skater of each quadrennial- 1977 to today | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Best skater of each quadrennial- 1977 to today

I assume you agree that even if you disagree with me on S&P they are (at) best 2nd best of 99-2002 behind Berezhnaya.

Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze were the more accomplished skaters., IMHO.

But Sale and Pelletier were not unworthy of the success they achieved. For one thing, they benefitted from the exceptional choreographic touch of Lori Nichol :love: at the height of her creative powers. Love Story, though not intricate or complex, was a charming delight. Tristan and Isolde was a fine program, as was Orchid (although the skaters were never able to deliver a truly definitive performance of the latter).

As for whether I like someone's off-ice personality, I don't know any of these skaters, so I kind of stay away from forming an (unasked for) opinion.

Do you agree with my other choices?

To tell the truth I am not over-exited by this exercise. It is more interesting to me to consider the full arc of a skater's body of work than to break things down into this year or that. Did Tara Lipinski pip Michelle Kwan at the post in 1998 with her one-year dash? Was Irina Slutskaya better overall in 1999-2002? (In particular the argument that Michelle's world championships in 2000 and 2001 were not so impressive because others made mistakes -- well, that's sports.)

Irina, by the way, was the anti-Tara. Irina was a (relative) late bloomer whose best year was 2004-05.

For Michelle, what I look at is the whole shebang. In the six-year stretch straddling the two Olympic quads, Michelle finished first or second in every event she competed in, picking up 4 world championships. More important, she presented program after program that I still have on my play-list to cheer me up on a rainy day.

And even more important than that ;) , she carried the sport of figure skating in the U.S. on her back for a decade. (She was less interested in performing internationally.) Turn on the TV, and there's Michelle doing her thing, whether it is the U.S. Championship (she won 9), a cheesefest :rock: or a Disney skating special. When Michelle was done, so was the American public's interest in the sport. :(

Last edited:

tryingfish

Rinkside
Here are Sale & Pelletier messing up a major jump element in both the short program and long program at those worlds, when they were already attempting the least jump content of all the top pairs to begin with, and still winning over a clean B&S in both programs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFWZ9pvCPsE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7YzRpWpYyI

Here is them at the 2000-2001 Grand Prix final with a major mistake beating a clean B&S in the 2nd program:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZLOso9wB_U

And now due to the inflated media blown out SLC scandal people forget the amount of political push behind them before that. Most forget, but I don't.

snejina

Rinkside
1995-1998: Pairs Kazakova-Dmitriev, Ladies Kwan, Men Kulik, Dance Gritschuk & Platov.

1999-2002: Pairs Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze, Men Yagudin, Dance Anissina & Peizerat, Ladies Slutskaya.

2003-2006: Pairs Totmianina & Marinin, Men Plushenko, Ladies Slutskaya, Arakawa and Cohen, Dance Nakva & Kostomarov and Denkova-Staviskiy

2007-2010: Ladies Mao Asada, Pairs Shen & Zhao, Men Plushenko and Joubert, Dance Virtue & Moir and Denkova & Stavisky.

2011-2014: Ladies Yulia Lipnitskaya, Yuna Kim and Carolina Kostner, Men Chan, Dance Virtue & Moir, Pairs Savchenko & Szolkovy.

2015-2018: Ladies: Alina Zagitova, Men Yuzuru Hanyu, Dance Virtue & Moir, Pairs Savchenko & Massot.

Presently: Ladies: Alina Zagitova, Men Nathan Chen , Dance Sinitsina & Katsalapov, Pairs Sui & Han

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Mao vs Kostner, well Kostner did much better in the biggest events- Olympics/Worlds. That is what I tend to look at first. That is why I would pick her 2nd best of the quad after Kim. If some are even putting Kwan over Slutskaya for 99-2002 just based on Olympics/Worlds how can you justify putting Mao over Kostner as 2nd best of that quad when there is a far bigger gap in Olympic/Worlds results than Kwan had over Slutskaya which was almost nothing. And when Slutskaya was even more superior to Kwan at the Grand Prix final and regular season dominance than Mao was to Kostner. Keep the standards equal people.

Mao won all her competitions but worlds in 2012-2013. She won all her international competitions but olympics in 2013-2014. She got two GPFs, one 4CC, one worlds title and worlds bronze those two seasons. So it wasn't like she wasn't winning anything and wasn't dominant all the season.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Maria Butyrskaya won Europeans in 98, 99, and 2002. She was World Champion in 1999 and she medaled in 98 and 2000. Not bad. Plus she kissed me in 99 and will always be my favorite.

Maria Butyrskaya won Europeans in 98, 99, and 2002. She was World Champion in 1999 and she medaled in 98 and 2000. Not bad. Plus she kissed me in 99 and will always be my favorite.

1998-2000:

Irina: Two worlds medals, 0 kisses
Michelle: Three worlds medals, 0 kisses
Maria: Three worlds medals, 1 kiss.

The winner is clear.

tryingfish

Rinkside
You sound like, come hell or high water, you are determined to carry those memories to the grave. ;)

OK.

I am sure you have someone or some team you can't stand, and have a hard time being fully objective on. Sale & Pelletier are mine. I am relieved, I never need to find a new one.

asiacheetah

On the Ice
Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze were the more accomplished skaters., IMHO.

But Sale and Pelletier were not unworthy of the success they achieved. For one thing, they benefitted from the exceptional choreographic touch of Lori Nichol :love: at the height of her creative powers. Love Story, though not intricate or complex, was a charming delight. Tristan and Isolde was a fine program, as was Orchid (although the skaters were never able to deliver a truly definitive performance of the latter).

As for whether I like someone's off-ice personality, I don't know any of these skaters, so I kind of stay away from forming an (unasked for) opinion.

To tell the truth I am not over-exited by this exercise. It is more interesting to me to consider the full arc of a skater's body of work than to break things down into this year or that. Did Tara Lipinski pip Michelle Kwan at the post in 1998 with her one-year dash? Was Irina Slutskaya better overall in 1999-2002? (In particular the argument that Michelle's world championships in 2000 and 2001 were not so impressive because others made mistakes -- well, that's sports.)

Irina, by the way, was the anti-Tara. Irina was a (relative) late bloomer whose best year was 2004-05.

For Michelle, what I look at is the whole shebang. In the six-year stretch straddling the two Olympic quads, Michelle finished first or second in every event she competed in, picking up 4 world championships. More important, she presented program after program that I still have on my play-list to cheer me up on a rainy day.

And even more important than that ;) , she carried the sport of figure skating in the U.S. on her back for a decade. (She was less interested in performing internationally.) Turn on the TV, and there's Michelle doing her thing, whether it is the U.S. Championship (she won 9), a cheesefest :rock: or a Disney skating special. When Michelle was done, so was the American public's interest in the sport. :(

This is true. I was and still is a huge Michelle fan. My interest in ladies figure skating dropped off and never recovered.

tryingfish

Rinkside
I think the biggest problem with the U.S interest drop off in skating isn't so much no Michelle but no big ladies star period. That is why everyone was so desperate for Gold to be a world beater to the point they put too much pressure on her already fragile psyche, to the point she imploded and her career basically finished. They have always had a big ladies skater, in fact almost always 2 or more. Their situation the last 13 years is unheard of. And for Americans ladies will always be the big meal ticket, sorry dancers no matter how great you are Americans will never be into you like the ladies and to a lesser degree mens.

Also the overblown boom of the Nancy-Tonya and post Nancy-Tonya period of 94-99 which led to the death of pro skating which was very popular in the U.S. Add to that the media overblown SLC scandal and a lot of Americans just gave up.

tryingfish

Rinkside
Mao won all her competitions but worlds in 2012-2013. She won all her international competitions but olympics in 2013-2014. She got two GPFs, one 4CC, one worlds title and worlds bronze those two seasons. So it wasn't like she wasn't winning anything and wasn't consistent all the season.

Well yes that is why I said she wasn't anymore superior to Kostner in non World/Olympic results as Slutskaya was to Kwan in 99-2002. That was in fact acknowledging Mao was definitely superior to Kostner in total non World/Olympic results for the quad.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Michelle was an impact skater (meaning World/Olympic medal winner) in three quads: 95-98, 99-02; 03-06. She made the Olympic team in 2006 but had to withdraw because of injury. She was the best ladies skater of her generation, no matter how the periods are split.

TA91

Rinkside
Michelle was an impact skater (meaning World/Olympic medal winner) in three quads: 95-98, 99-02; 03-06. She made the Olympic team in 2006 but had to withdraw because of injury. She was the best ladies skater of her generation, no matter how the periods are split.

And I don't think anyone doubts that Michelle was amazing, but she's still beat by Slutskaya from 99-02 when you seperate the each respective quad.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And I don't think anyone doubts that Michelle was amazing, but she's still beat by Slutskaya from 99-02 when you seperate the each respective quad.

My point exactly. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

tryingfish

Rinkside

The same is true of Yu Na Kim. She is clearly the best skater of her generation, no matter how you split up the periods.

BTW Irina Slutskaya was also an impact skater (World/Olympic medal winners) in three different quads, the exact same three.

tryingfish

Rinkside
While I do agree Kwan is the best of her era and Kim hers, Slutskaya and Asada have to be given credit as #2s with a bullet close behind.

People gush over Kwan's longevity but Slutskaya trumps even Kwan there. They won their first World junior medals (94) and first world medals (96) the same year. Yet by 2006 Kwan was done, and her last world medal was 2004, while Slutskaya dominated the 2005 season and the fall part of the 2005-2006 season until running out of gas a bit at the end, but still winning the Olympic bronze in 2006. She also beat the record of multi Olympic Champs Henie and Witt with 7 Europeans and has a very hard to beat record 4 wins at the Grand Prix final. The only event she is behind Kwan at is worlds, by a significant margin (6 medals to 9, 2 wins to 5) which puts her behind, but in every other category- Olympics, grand prix final, grand prix series, Continental events, junior achievements, she is equal or ahead.

Asada meanwhile bests Kim in World wins (3 to 2) and Grand Prix final wins (4 to 3). I could be wrong but I believe she has more Four Continents wins too. She is far behind in the most important category- Olympics, which is the one thing that keeps her behind, along with Kim being much more consistent and dominant in her best years.

All 4 are legends though.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I could be wrong but I believe she has more Four Continents wins too.
Heh, it would be hard for Mao not to be ahead of Yuna in 4CC medals, seeing as Yuna only went to one 4CC in her entire career (which she won, but all the same).

gmyers

Record Breaker
I believe Plushenko was best man 2003-2006! Brian Joubert 2007-2010! Patrick Chan 2011-2014! Hanyu 2015-2018