2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 50 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

jillredhand

Record Breaker
AHH...is Roman going to be the representative for men for this year's worlds now???...or is that not worthy of discussion???...

Well, we'll have to see what they announce? I guess they could delay a decision until after 4CC, but honestly, Roman medalled on the GP circuit so it's not like he's a total newbie without any track record. There's no reason not to send the champion.

I think Keegan's out of the running regardless, unless he straight up wins 4CC. I could maaaaybe see them going with Nam over Roman if Nam did really well at 4CC and Roman flopped. But even if Roman flops at 4CC, he's probably still plenty secure to go to Worlds.

rain

Record Breaker
This Worlds is going to be a bust but I think Gabby deserves a shot - even though that was probably one of her worst skates ever.

Sending Gabby to worlds is a terrible idea. It would be bad both for Canadian figure skating and for Gabby herself, both mentally and physically, since I don't see anything but another meltdown being the result. There is zero reason to believe anything else.

I think it's a foregone conclusion that no matter who they send, Canada will be down to 1 spot for ladies, and, let's be honest, we don't really need more than that at this juncture.

What we do need are more spots for men. Lot's of promising performers there. I hope they send Roman. He, Nam and Keegan all achieved similar results internationally this season, and when they faced each other, Roman came out on top.

kenboy123

On the Ice
In my opinion, I think they need to make it a rule that the national champion automatically goes...being a champion in your country needs to be rewarded...there is no reason Roman and Emily shouldn't go...

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I’m really sorry that Nam and Keegan didn’t have good skates tonight, but so happy for Roman! His skating is beautiful!

pearly

Record Breaker
Probably ... but the other girls don't have a shot at worlds and the number of places of canada for next year will suffer with that ... we have russia, usa, japan, korea probably kazakistan... wich probably means that the first placement of canada with luck will be 10-12 place ... with gabby is a wild card but probably she can be in the top 10 maybe with very lucky i the top 6 if she skates super clean ... I don't know the other ladies very well but if canada wants a good placement for keeping spots they need to send gaby .. even if is unfair ... for the 4cc i think they can send the first 3 ... for worlds they need her

Kazakhstan is not a threat. Tursinbaeva is out with injury and if there is anyone else out there with minimums, their SB scores aren't high. But yeah, other than that, Canada is unlikely to place in the top 10 and it is what it is.

Gabby in her present physical condition and mental outlook is unpredictable. We all thought she would improve in the 3 months since SC, but she actually skated worse at Nationals than she did at SC. There is just 2 months to Worlds, and there is zero guarantee that Gabby would perform better in March. If she went to Worlds in similar condition as she is in now, she might not even make the FS, which would be the worst disaster possible, both for Gabby and for Canada.

I believe Emily and Alison can perform well enough to keep the two spots for Canada.

Not all of us thought Gabby would improve. Sorry, the signs that there are problems have been there for a very long time. All you need to do is look at her social media in addition to her performances. I thought her skate at Worlds last year was the exception to the rule.

kenboy123

On the Ice
Sending Gabby to worlds is a terrible idea. It would be bad both for Canadian figure skating and for Gabby herself, both mentally and physically, since I don't see anything but another meltdown being the result. There is zero reason to believe anything else.

I think it's a foregone conclusion that no matter who they send, Canada will be down to 1 spot for ladies, and, let's be honest, we don't really need more than that at this juncture.

What we do need are more spots for men. Lot's of promising performers there. I hope they send Roman. He, Nam and Keegan all achieved similar results internationally this season, and when they faced each other, Roman came out on top.

Is it really though???...if one of them surprisingly comes in the top 12 (which isn't impossible)...then the other just has to make the free skate which means come 24th...it's not likely...but i don't think it's impossible...

Roo87

Medalist
The truth is, we don't really need more than one spot at the world level right now for the ladies. When the time comes that we do, I'm sure our best skater will place high enough at worlds to get 2 spots back. We didn't need 3 for 2018 either.

kenboy123

On the Ice
The truth is, we don't really need more than one spot at the world level right now for the ladies. When the time comes that we do, I'm sure our best skater will place high enough at worlds to get 2 spots back. We didn't need 3 for 2018 either.

Are we really going to revisit that???....

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Hopefully this is the kick in the pants Skate Canada needs to start investing in women's skating. I'm a bit concerned that what's happened to Gabby (being used to prop up skating to the detriment of her wellbeing) will happen to Kaiya as well. Skate Canada needs to get itself together.
Lack of money has never been the problem in Canadian ladies' skating. I mean, obviously more money is always good, but our ladies aren't deprived of funds or training facilities, etc. that the other three disciplines have.

Loved catching the Canadian Nationals. Very happy for Piper and Paul. Sad for Lubov and Charlie. That LP is perfect for Worlds in Montreal. Evelyn and Trennt had a great competition but I am concerned that they will not be able to contribute to Canada keeping at least 2 teams for next year's Worlds. I know young teams need a chance but maybe Worlds should be decided after 4 Continents?
The only thing that has to happen for Canada to keep two spots in pairs is KMT and Marinaro to place in the top twelve (assuming the other team makes the free skate) or top ten (if they don't), and they've done that at all three of their Worlds appearances to date.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Is it really though???...if one of them surprisingly comes in the top 12 (which isn't impossible)...then the other just has to make the free skate which means come 24th...it's not likely...but i don't think it's impossible...

It’s not impossible, but it could be difficult. Last year the skater who came 12th scored 186+ and the skater who placed 13th scored 179+. That can change from year to year, and there have been quite a few ladies sidelined with injuries, so maybe too twelve won’t be quite such a reach this year. Emily and Alison have season’s bests of about 170-172 right now, and hopefully they will improve on those scores before Worlds.

Ziotic

Medalist
I don’t think Roman should have to prove himself again. They all knew what they we’re fighting for at Nationals.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Canada is losing its 2nd spot this year after worlds hands down unless they send Gabby and she skate well. Other wise there is no chance Canada gets a top 10 finish. Those girls need a minimum of 205-210 over all from and international panel to hand them that and its never going to happen unless they magically throw in a few 3Lz 3LO combos lol. I mean in the end run Canada isnt strong enough right now in women to even need 2 spots. Its almost pointless having 2 spots when you know you are sending a skater who wont stand a fighting chance at anything. Once they develop a bit more and get some more things in their repitoire that story could change.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It’s not impossible, but it could be difficult. Last year the skater who came 12th scored 186+ and the skater who placed 13th scored 179+. That can change from year to year, and there have been quite a few ladies sidelined with injuries, so maybe too twelve won’t be quite such a reach this year. Emily and Alison have season’s bests of about 170-172 right now, and hopefully they will improve on those scores before Worlds.
3 Russians + 3 Japanese + 2 Koreans + 2 Americans gets you to ten already, then add Kurakova, Tornaghi, Safonova, etc. and it becomes quite crowded.

Of course, it's skating, anything can (and will) happen, but it'd be a big lift for any of them to make top twelve.

AlinaRina

Rinkside
Lack of money has never been the problem in Canadian ladies' skating. I mean, obviously more money is always good, but our ladies aren't deprived of funds or training facilities, etc. that the other three disciplines have.

I didn't mean money, though I understand how it could be read that way. That said, most skaters get next to no financial support from the federation. I know of a repeat medalist that was paying for ice time and costumes via donations.

I meant investing in the development of skaters through more training camps, more international experience, more mental and physical support. Not pinning all hopes on one skater who just happens to be very skilled.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
3 Russians + 3 Japanese + 2 Koreans + 2 Americans gets you to ten already, then add Kurakova, Tornaghi, Safonova, etc. and it becomes quite crowded.

Of course, it's skating, anything can (and will) happen, but it'd be a big lift for any of them to make top twelve.

I can't disagree. Of course, I didn't think the American pairs would get the second spot, but they did.

So, we'll just have to see how this all pans out.

And regardless, people should take heart. These things run in cycles. In a handful of years, three spots may not be enough to accommodate all the worthy Canadian women.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

I still think in terms of scoring potential Gabby is higher than several skaters ahead of her. It makes sense to send her and a skater to get experience.

Is Emily of age and have the min TES to go to Worlds? Which Canadian ladies in the top 8 have it? It might end up having to be Gabby. If they want a shot at 2 spots Gabby should go but if they want to throw away any shot at it for the purpose of developing younger skaters that’s fine too.

kenboy123

On the Ice
I still think in terms of scoring potential Gabby is higher than several skaters ahead of her. It makes sense to send her and a skater to get experience.

Is Emily of age and have the min TES to go to Worlds? Which Canadian ladies in the top 8 have it? It might end up having to be Gabby. If they want a shot at 2 spots Gabby should go but if they want to throw away any shot at it for the purpose of developing younger skaters that’s fine too.

Well...this year isn't so important...but next season will determine Olympic spots, so i say let Daleman rest this year and the younger ones to the Worlds this year to gain experience and hopefully one of them will really rise next year and Daleman is back next year, so...whoever we end up sending next year (even if we only have one spot)...we have more chances of getting the spots back...i just can't see Daleman skating any better this season and she doesn't seem to be in a mindset to perform....

Ziotic

Medalist

Emily is of age, but she’s missing the short program TES since the ISU just recently raise the limit. I’m sure she’ll have the opportunity to try again at 4CC.

theharleyquinn

Medalist

They need to focus on her well-being at this point. Her scoring potential doesn't matter imo.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I've copied and pasted my post from the Canadian Nationals thread, since not everyone can access it.

I'm honestly still in shock :jaw: right now over Roman's victory :medal" (which is why it took this long for me to reply to this thread). I had sent him a Christmas card (although I'm not sure if Skate Canada has forward it to him, but Matthew Markell did let me know that he got my X-mas card) expressing my wish that he'll become the next Canadian champion, and I can't believe it came true!!! :hap93: I sincerely hope I'll get to see him compete in Montreal! My nickname for him on his Fan Fest is "Princeling," but now he has earned the title of "Roman Emperor of Canada." :biggrin: