2024-25 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2024-25 Canadian Figure Skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Updated entries for BC/YT June competition.

Wesley is now competing in it. As well, Nguyen/Giang are entered for Junior Ice Dance. They'll be eligible for one more season if the age rules pass, so it looks like they'll stay Junior if it goes through.
for pointers : i will be making all the summer threads in the appropriate forum soon.

feel free to discuss the events in these threads when I make them (most likely this weekend!!!)

Reverie

On the Ice
The problem with our single skaters is that there are so many that will prob be non-GPers this year. So they need to send them to more then one event.
I hope any of the junior women who score 170 plus will be awarded a second international event this year to increase their exposure.

Sackie

Medalist
Updated entries for BC/YT June competition.

Wesley is now competing in it. As well, Nguyen/Giang are entered for Junior Ice Dance. They'll be eligible for one more season if the age rules pass, so it looks like they'll stay Junior if it goes through.
Good for Wesley to be getting out early. He seems to one of those skaters that progresses as the year goes along. So the earlier he can get out in competitions to get judges feedback, the better.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Summer/fall events have been posted in this part of the forum

If I have missed one, please let me know.

There are not many details yet but as soon as entry lists and schedules come up, I will make updates.

I may go check out Championnats québécois d'été in Pierrefonds (I go almost every year) especially if there are a lot of seniors and good pairs/dance teams. Last year was a treat.... but so far this year, almost nobody has registered (too early)
Of course, the new rules are not in so it's difficult for skaters to know (especially dance I would think) about elements in their programs.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Summer/fall events have been posted in this part of the forum

If I have missed one, please let me know.

There are not many details yet but as soon as entry lists and schedules come up, I will make updates.

I may go check out Championnats québécois d'été in Pierrefonds (I go almost every year) especially if there are a lot of seniors and good pairs/dance teams. Last year was a treat.... but so far this year, almost nobody has registered (too early)
Of course, the new rules are not in so it's difficult for skaters to know (especially dance I would think) about elements in their programs.
Love it! Our Canadian domestic events is what I enjoy the most. Love seeing all our events posted in this forum.

@4everchan thanks for your hard work

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Love it! Our Canadian domestic events is what I enjoy the most. Love seeing all our events posted in this forum.

@4everchan thanks for your hard work
It helps our Canadian events are easily available with streaming... counting on you and @saine (and others) to fill these threads with skating banter ;) haha

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
I'm wondering if the gala requirement for the Grand Prix is changing this season. They changed it for Junior Worlds a year ago (source):

9. ISU Junior World Figure Skating Championships – Opening Ceremony and Exhibition
The Council decided that in order to help organizing ISU Members and create a more time- and cost-effective Event, for the Junior World Figure Skating Championships the Opening Ceremony and Exhibition are no longer mandatory.

I don't think they'd not have the gala if it was required.

rain

Record Breaker
Molly Lanaghan/Dmitre Razgulajevs have split. They didn't mention their future plans in their post. I'll miss them, they looked like they had fun when they were performing.
I'm not too surprised. They were not advancing. I found most of their program choices to be complete head-scratchers that often made them look juvenile when they needed to look more mature in order to progress in their careers.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
For @4everchan

His boy, Eddy, is looking good back from injury:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
We'll see what ends up happening in the summer competitions. Ulyana didn't transition well, but that's because her weaknesses are the strengths of the Canadian skaters - Viktoria might be a bit different in that regard.
Which is still mind-boggling to me, as it makes so much more sense to not put all eggs into the same gliding basket.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Which is still mind-boggling to me, as it makes so much more sense to not put all eggs into the same gliding basket.
It's not about "putting all eggs in a basket", it's that judges who are used to seeing a certain standard in for example skating skills are also going to score someone below that standard more strictly than judges who are not used to that same standard, especially when the skater stands out negatively compared to the whole rest of the competition.

Even though the IJS is supposed to offer objective guidelines for scoring, experience does shape how judges see things. This is really obvious in the judging in small feds for example, where scoring for the top skaters can often surpass the international scoring by 10+ points, simply because these skaters are so far ahead of what they usually see.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Uliana's weaknesses are very obvious on the screen... and from my experience, it gets worse "live" I haven't seen her skate yet in person, but if it's what I think it may be, indeed, she will need more than just landing all her jumps to win a title in Canada. This being said, it's nice to see how such a strong jumper in the field will push the others to be more consistent and improve their content, and Uliana can simply look around and see how she can improve her own skating skills. I don't see any problem with how she is scored so far in Canada. BTW, it's not like she scored much better internationally (at least that's my impression from JGP) so her issues are seen elsewhere too.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
No Gala at SCI this year.

I found the event ticket package information on the FAQ. Sunday is going to be a competition day instead of gala, the breakdown of the events from the ticket packages is:
  • Friday, October 25, 2024 – Pair Short Program & Men Short Program (evening)
  • Saturday, October 26, 2024 – Ice Dance Rhythm Dance & Women Short Program (afternoon)
  • Saturday, October 26, 2024 – Pair Free Program & Men Free Program (evening)
  • Sunday, October 27, 2024 – Ice Dance Free Dance & Women Free Program (late morning)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I found the event ticket package information on the FAQ. Sunday is going to be a competition day instead of gala, the breakdown of the events from the ticket packages is:
  • Friday, October 25, 2024 – Pair Short Program & Men Short Program (evening)
  • Saturday, October 26, 2024 – Ice Dance Rhythm Dance & Women Short Program (afternoon)
  • Saturday, October 26, 2024 – Pair Free Program & Men Free Program (evening)
  • Sunday, October 27, 2024 – Ice Dance Free Dance & Women Free Program (late morning)
mmmm.... i liked when GP were on 2 days