2024-25 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2024-25 Canadian Figure Skating

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
They would have absolutely no hold on her, that would be my call ;) but can she land her jumps ? I guess she is indeed inspired by Deanna in some ways. I think they are both from Chicago aren't they ?
I'm having trouble following. Who is they? Who is her?

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
They would have absolutely no hold on her, that would be my call ;) but can she land her jumps ? I guess she is indeed inspired by Deanna in some ways. I think they are both from Chicago aren't they ?
You probably right about 'no hold' 😀, unlike U.S. fed had with Gabby Izzo and Deanna. Certainly, U.S. fed has no financial claim. Perhaps after this length of time, Joy may be considered a free agent. 🤔 I don't know the specific rules. It would be lovely and a nice surprise if Joy happened to have dual citizenship, too. But she likely doesn't.

Possibly, Joy is inspired by Deanna's amazing comeback story. Deanna inspires so many people in the sport and beyond! Deanna had retired, though, with no conscious intention of returning, which is what makes her triumphant return so many years later all the more unexpected and amazing.

Yes, Joy Weinberg is from Northbrook, IL (a Chicago suburb).* Hopefully, she will be able to improve her jump technique and gain consistency on the sbs jumps and the throw landings. She seems relatively solid on other pair elements. Jim Peterson has always been a great lifts coach. Joy's former partner, Max Fernandez, is phenomenal with lifts, so Joy should have no problems developing difficult lifts with Thierry Ferland.

* Deanna was also born in a Chicago suburb: Park Ridge, IL.

Last edited:

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
The International Events page has been updated. Challenger events for next season that are currently listed:

Lombardia (Sept 13-15)
Nebelhorn (Sept 19-21)
Budapest (Oct 11-13)
Warsaw (Nov 20-24)
Golden Spin of Zagreb (Dec 4-7)

Also domestic solo dance will be part of the Skate Ontario July competition as per the announcement here. The short and free for all the podium pathway disciplines require separate entries.

Last edited:

FlossieH

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
The International Events page has been updated. Challenger events for next season that are currently listed:

Lombardia (Sept 13-15)
Nebelhorn (Sept 19-21)
Budapest (Oct 11-13)
Warsaw (Nov 20-24)
Golden Spin of Zagreb (Dec 4-7)

Also domestic solo dance will be part of the Skate Ontario July competition as per the announcement here. The short and free for all the podium pathway disciplines require separate entries.
That list is not up to date - unless it is just events which the Canadian fed is intending to send people to. This was posted on the ISU site last week and includes other challenger events (Cranberry/John Nicks, Denis Ten, Nice, Tallinn): https://www.isu.org/inside-isu/isu-communications/communications/33815-isu-communication-2638/file

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
That list is not up to date - unless it is just events which the Canadian fed is intending to send people to. This was posted on the ISU site last week and includes other challenger events (Cranberry/John Nicks, Denis Ten, Nice, Tallinn): https://www.isu.org/inside-isu/isu-communications/communications/33815-isu-communication-2638/file
Yeah, it's the list of events they're intending to send skaters to at the moment. I'd be shocked if they ever sent skaters to Denis Ten. It's a shame that the skaters don't have Cranberry Cup/John Nicks as summer competitions this year, it was a way for the ones who wouldn't qualify for international assignments normally to get some international experience.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yeah, it's the list of events they're intending to send skaters to at the moment. I'd be shocked if they ever sent skaters to Denis Ten. It's a shame that the skaters don't have Cranberry Cup/John Nicks as summer competitions this year, it was a way for the ones who wouldn't qualify for international assignments normally to get some international experience.
Maybe, because it's in the summer, it conflicts with the summer series... or maybe they just didn't list the summer events ?

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Maybe, because it's in the summer, it conflicts with the summer series... or maybe they just didn't list the summer events ?
They didn't list it, John Nicks or Lake Placid last year on the Events page (although they did count the medals won for the international medal count.) According to Meagan Duhamel (here), Skate Canada has to give the okay but the skaters pay the costs.

Cranberry/John Nicks are Challengers this season, so they're subject to the Skate Canada selection criteria. It's awkward timing for a Challenger, so I'm not surprised they aren't on the list. There will be Junior/Novice competition as part of the non-Challenger portion for Cranberry Cup, so hopefully the eligible skaters can compete in that like last year 🤞

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
They didn't list it, John Nicks or Lake Placid last year on the Events page (although they did count the medals won for the international medal count.) According to Meagan Duhamel (here), Skate Canada has to give the okay but the skaters pay the costs.

Cranberry/John Nicks are Challengers this season, so they're subject to the Skate Canada selection criteria. It's awkward timing for a Challenger, so I'm not surprised they aren't on the list. There will be Junior/Novice competition as part of the non-Challenger portion for Cranberry Cup, so hopefully the eligible skaters can compete in that like last year 🤞
Sigh!! Is Cranberry and John Nicks the same event? I will take any challenger event in NA. However, we really need a NA challenger event towards the end of the Challenger cycle, so our Canadians can score higher at events they have more time to prepare for. I hate watching our Canadians debut their programs at their only international opportunity, so early in the season.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Sigh!! Is Cranberry and John Nicks the same event? I will take any challenger event in NA. However, we really need a NA challenger event towards the end of the Challenger cycle, so our Canadians can score higher at events they have more time to prepare for. I hate watching our Canadians debut their programs at their only international opportunity, so early in the season.
John Nicks is the pairs only part of the NA challenger and both events are too early in the schedule. Skate Canada is most likely not going to send anyone there.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
13-year-old Russian figure skater Viktoria Barakhtina has been released to compete for Canada.

So far she's been coached by Elena Zhgun, one of Alena Kostornaya's early coaches. She has big jumps, decent skating skills, but her lack of consistency was never going to get her anywhere in Russia.

We'll see what ends up happening in the summer competitions. Ulyana didn't transition well, but that's because her weaknesses are the strengths of the Canadian skaters - Viktoria might be a bit different in that regard.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
13-year-old Russian figure skater Viktoria Barakhtina has been released to compete for Canada.

So far she's been coached by Elena Zhgun, one of Alena Kostornaya's early coaches. She has big jumps, decent skating skills, but her lack of consistency was never going to get her anywhere in Russia.

We'll see what ends up happening in the summer competitions. Ulyana didn't transition well, but that's because her weaknesses are the strengths of the Canadian skaters - Viktoria might be a bit different in that regard.
The article has been updated - She actually has not been released yet, but has requested a release.
In this case, she won't play a role in the JGP selection for the upcoming season, but could still compete nationally in Canada.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The article has been updated - She actually has not been released yet, but has requested a release.
In this case, she won't play a role in the JGP selection for the upcoming season, but could still compete nationally in Canada.
Considering Canada has only six spots, she'd have to really earn it to be a factor right away anyway. I am not sure that would have happened with the current crop of juniors.

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
John Nicks is the pairs only part of the NA challenger and both events are too early in the schedule. Skate Canada is most likely not going to send anyone there.
Gotcha!! So, they just do pairs at a separate time… So, basically this counts as one event.

So, with no Autumn Classic this season, unless you are on National Team, our Canadians will get zero international exposure. Let me cry in a corner now…

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Is she living in Canada at the moment or still in Russia? I hope this isn’t an athlete who will be representing Canada, but, living and training in Russia throughout her career. I’m assuming the family wants to move to Canada.

I remember getting excited thinking Uliana was going to give Maddie more of a challenge domestically, only to end up being disappointed, so far. Uliana is great with her jumps… but, so slow on the ice compared to her peers…

I just saw a video of Viktoria… some Eliana Cup that she won with 190+ score. I watched both the SP and FP. Bigger, but wonky jumps, and better artistry than Uliana. So far, I like her.

Do you know how she did in the two Junior GP events at Russia? I’m assuming not so good as I didn’t think I saw her name at Junior Nationals. But, I can’t read Russian. I need a better gauge of what you mean by inconsistency.

I imagine she will be competing as a Junior domestically, in Canada. This could be an athlete that can push Lia Cho to a higher level at Juniors domestically, this upcoming season.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Is she living in Canada at the moment or still in Russia? I hope this isn’t an athlete who will be representing Canada, but, living and training in Russia throughout her career. I’m assuming the family wants to move to Canada.
Currently in Russia. Not sure if this is a case of them not wanting to move until they know she'll be able to skate for Canada (though she would need one year of residency either way), or if she maybe is Canadian by ancestry (never seen her father on her own or her mum's IG).
I remember getting excited thinking Uliana was going to give Maddie more of a challenge domestically, only to end up being disappointed, so far. Uliana is great with her jumps… but, so slow on the ice compared to her peers…
Uliana's weaknesses were apparent even within Russia, she just didn't get marked down for them because good skating skills are not as commonplace or valued as in Canada.
I just saw a video of Viktoria… some Eliana Cup that she won with 190+ score. I watched both the SP and FP. Bigger, but wonky jumps, and better artistry than Uliana. So far, I like her.
Yes, there's a lot to like about her skating. If she can solidify her jumps, she is a very well-rounded skater.
Do you know how she did in the two Junior GP events at Russia? I’m assuming not so good as I didn’t think I saw her name at Junior Nationals. But, I can’t read Russian. I need a better gauge of what you mean by inconsistency.
She didn't compete at any JGP equivalent events this season in Russia, but last season she placed 4th with a score of 180.79 and 9th with a score of 164.75.
This season, her scores have ranged from 163.79 to 193.51, though the second half of the season was better for her.
I imagine she will be competing as a Junior domestically, in Canada. This could be an athlete that can push Lia Cho to a higher level at Juniors domestically, this upcoming season.
Yeah, I assume so too, but for that she'll have to get some sort of permission (either the release from the Russian fed, or an exception from the ISU), so we'll see when (if) she shows up in Canadian competitions this upcoming season.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
So, with no Autumn Classic this season, unless you are on National Team, our Canadians will get zero international exposure. Let me cry in a corner now…
I think Warsaw will be the one that the non-GP skaters get this season due to the timing of it during the GP series. They'll want the skaters with GP assignments to get out earlier, so they can send out the other skaters there. At least I hope so, and they won't decide to have only one entry again 😞