Nathan Chen | Page 942 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

1111bm

Final Flight
I've only watched the SP so far and wow, what happened, he was noticeably so much more into the performance (and it's not like I didn't already enjoy the program a lot the way he skated it the last two times :p so thank you Nathan).

Also I'm intrigued, why did he change his Flip entry?? Now I totally understand why he popped it!

ETA: Oh and now I spot his mom watching him from the boards :D

sheetz

Record Breaker
A fair number of choreo changes in both the SP and FS so will take awhile to get used to them. He's holding his positions for longer, which I really noticed in his COI Rocketman performance.

1111bm

Final Flight
Watched the FS as well now. I appreciate that they introduce the powerful music in the end earlier, because I actually felt that this part was too short in the first version. I very much dislike the way they suddenly cut to it though...

One little detail that I loved is the moment in the step sequence, where he gets up from the knee slide and slowly goes into a Loop... last time I felt that he should have prolonged that moment some more, and this time? Voilà, as if he read my mind. :)

Also, I already knew he'd mess up the 3A at least a little, no way was he gonna land that one easily after two quad Toe combos (!) in the second half, this early in the season.
Does he do the 3A as his last jump so he's tired out sufficiently and he doesn't overthink it? ;)

ETA: He's back to his old Flip entry in this program... strange he tried a different one in the SP, I'd really love to know why they decided to experiment there.

discode

Final Flight
I found both programs better this time around. He seems to be experimenting and I like the changes.

That layout is scary, but I agree that seems to be what he's going for eventually.

Victura

On the Ice
ETA: Oh and now I spot his mom watching him from the boards :D
Pretty sure I spotted him watching Mariah’s short program. His mom may have been there too, but their faces were obscured and I recognize his head of hair more readily than hers :)

I’m curious who is doing the videography for Team Raf because they are much better done than most of the other ISP videos. Good lighting, audio, steady camera that is zoomed in to a good distance.

sheetz

Record Breaker
I’m curious who is doing the videography for Team Raf because they are much better done than most of the other ISP videos. Good lighting, audio, steady camera that is zoomed in to a good distance.
It was done by Hurd Video

sheetz

Record Breaker

1111bm

Final Flight
The Truman Show 1998 (fantasy, drama)

I used to listen the Truman Show score quite a bit, when I was younger and the movie was released, so it's really cool Nathan, out of all skaters, is is skating to this piece! ☺️

Nooo he replaced the music for the 4-1-3 :(((( that was one of the highlights for me!

Totally agree, I missed that too, a lot, it was one of the best moments in the first version of it! 😭

Ideally I'd have them leave that part in, and only THEN switch to the powerful music, sigh...

sheetz

Record Breaker

alexaa

Final Flight
New article about the ISP challenge. Our boy got his prize money as well as some feedback about programs, and probably costumes 😂 😂

Nathan part

Nathan Chen, the two-time reigning World champion who trains at the same rink as Bell in Irvine, California, noted that it felt more like an exhibition or Champs Camp, but was still a great experience.

He topped the men's field with a 315.32 total, followed by five-time U.S. medalist Jason Brown (268.31), 2020 U.S. bronze medalist Tomoki Hiwatashi (244.76) and Alex Krasnozhon(219.46).

"Given that it's so early in the season and given that we won't have many competition opportunities, this is a great idea from U.S. Figure Skating, and they implemented it quite well," Chen said. "I don't think anyone had any issues with how it was set up or the proctors or recording or anything, so it was a pretty trustworthy event."

All skaters had two opportunities to skate both of their programs, and their top-scoring total from either the first or second opportunity counted as their final overall score. While some chose to only compete once, Chen felt it was a no-brainer to enter both times. His first opportunity ended up being his winning score.

Skating his short program to "Asturia" by Frida Lopez and "Cancion del Mariachi" by Los Lobos, and his free skate to a medley by Philip Glass, the 2018 Olympian is used to announcing his program music before his first competition, but without a Champs Camp this year to solicit feedback from U.S. Figure Skating and judges, he chose not to say anything until judges saw it through the Points Challenge, which meant fans found out at the same time.

"I saw comments before I even talked to the judges, which was weird," he said. "But I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. At the end of the day I want to be aware of what people are saying, what fans are saying, but the decision still remains within my coaching team. … Overall there's positives and negatives. I think the negative comments that I have received are actually quite helpful because they're much more quantifiable and I can actually apply them to my skating."

FanOfallSkaters

Spectator
I found both programs better this time around. He seems to be experimenting and I like the changes.

That layout is scary, but I agree that seems to be what he's going for eventually.
Hi I’m new. Usually just watch on tv but need to talk about skating now. I wasn’t sure if skating would survive😢l like all skaters but Nathan is special. I’m so in awe how he came back from such serious injury to be Star he is today. I like his music but I would love for him to skate to this, music only version

Imagine footwork to these drum beats. What do you guys think? Love reading posts here.

FanOfallSkaters

Spectator
Pretty sure I spotted him watching Mariah’s short program. His mom may have been there too, but their faces were obscured and I recognize his head of hair more readily than hers :)

I love their friendship❤️