2020-21 Russian Men's figure skating | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Men's figure skating

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sasha Samarin injured his back at Test Skates and therefore had to miss the 1st Stage of the Cup. He will not jump Quads tomorrow. I hope TAT eats her words. She was totally nasty towards Sasha today.

What did she say? They are generally pretty nasty towards the boys in the press with their "expert" opinions. Guess it's Samarin's turn.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
What did she say? They are generally pretty nasty towards the boys in the press with their "expert" opinions. Guess it's Samarin's turn.
Thinks like "If you jump you aren't injured" insinuating he used his injury as an excuse.. she said his form is bad for this time of the season, pandemic is not an excuse blabla.. really rude

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thinks like "If you jump you aren't injured" insinuating he used his injury as an excuse.. she said his form is bad for this time of the season, pandemic is not an excuse blabla.. really rude

Samarin has been off the ice for weeks and only returned like a week ago so clearly the guy was injured. He's allowed to be out of shape (other skaters too). Rude. Let's see if she has such words for her favorites.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Samarin has been off the ice for weeks and only returned like a week ago so clearly the guy was injured. He's allowed to be out of shape (other skaters too). Rude. Let's see if she has such words for her favorites.
She was rude to everybody today, even people who are usually more neutral or positive towards TAT said she was extremly mean today. The only person she praised today was Eteri and her skaters as far as I know. At least that was the impression everyone who listened to her had today.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
She was rude to everybody today, even people who are usually more neutral or positive towards TAT said she was extremly mean today. The only person she praised today was Eteri and her skaters as far as I know. At least that was the impression everyone who listened to her had today.
Sometimes I'm just glad that my Russian is very basic bordering on non-existent and I don't understand 98% of what is said.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I finally found men’s short, apparently they are all on the same reel. And I am speechless at TAT’s commentary. Particulary her comment to Samarin that she doesn’t want to see ‘sick here’. Seriously, it’s 2020. We don’t need the athletes to maintain facade and not show pain... ouch. So out of line.

but that unfortunate Nikita V got the brunt, poor guy.

I want Grishin’s solo comments back from Skate Syzran’

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Sasha Samarin injured his back at Test Skates and therefore had to miss the 1st Stage of the Cup. He will not jump Quads tomorrow. I hope TAT eats her words. She was totally nasty towards Sasha today.

I finally found men’s short, apparently they are all on the same reel. And I am speechless at TAT’s commentary. Particulary her comment to Samarin that she doesn’t want to see ‘sick here’. Seriously, it’s 2020. We don’t need the athletes to maintain facade and not show pain... ouch. So out of line.

but that unfortunate Nikita V got the brunt, poor guy.

I want Grishin’s solo comments back from Skate Syzran’
I hope she eats her words and chokes on them. But then is saved after a Heimlich maneuver, and as a result of a near brush with death becomes more compassionate towards other people.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I hope she eats her words and chokes on them. But then is saved after a Heimlich maneuver, and as a result of a near brush with death becomes more compassionate towards other people.
I don’t know if it can be helped, tbh her compliments are almost worse than her critique, because she went on and on about how a certain female skater is gorgeous in appearance after a lacklustre skate... like, this is not a beauty pageant. Given that she calls all male skaters boys, that would make for an uncomfortable combination.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I don’t know if it can be helped, tbh her compliments are almost worse than her critique, because she went on and on about how a certain female skater is gorgeous in appearance after a lacklustre skate... like, this is not a beauty pageant. Given that she calls all male skaters boys, that would make for an uncomfortable combination.
Hoping for some compassionate silence then :p

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Hoping for some compassionate silence then :p
Heh, silence is good! I do like Grishin, he seems to know his thing, and he is pretty even-handed in his comments.

also, yay, finished watching, and usually I don’t really pay attention to costumes, but Gummenik’s was fabulous imo. Gosh, wish it was a more successful skate, but good luck tomorrow

Also, Kovalev actually got compliments from TAT—deservingly so, great skate, he is really growing on me.

I am happy the season is advancing, despite all the hiccups, and looking forward to the free!

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I do like Grishin, he seems to know his thing, and he is pretty even-handed in his comments.
I wish I understood Grishin! Those on the forum who do all seem to think he's pretty good. My listening comprehension extends only to stuff like 'ochen khorosho' or non-Russian technical loanwords like 'Rittberger' 😅

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
He is well-spoken, and his humour is not mean. Like, he’d say he’ll just keep mum, when he sees TP calls he disagrees with, or he was joking about ‘tired of Queen’ group of fans during junior men showings this year (where the Queen is abundant). Like all of them, he is laying it on thick for ET group, but it’s not as fawning. He also tries to soften TAT’s comments, or supply her with correct information when she goes of the rails. like, today TAT was talking about Yerokhov as being young and that he would skate and skate, and Grishin supplied his age, 21, with a question mark build in there on the purported longevity.

He is pleasant to listen to and he is very accurate calling all the elements and errors, but he never argues when TP doesn’t call the way he calls, simply stating the fact.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
TAT is a no-good backstabbing little worm and I'll say it now - someone as fat as she is should shut the Hell up about skaters weight.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
TAT was nice more or less to Kovalev and Lezheev & basically pre-emptively excused Gumennik for any flaws because of his growth. In the next breath he called Petr a ‘man grown’ (she used Russian word that is usually applies to a big peasant guy) but ‘skinny’... said he was unrecognizable. She praised him for catching all the instructions on the fly... but I dunno, her going down on Samarin and that unfortunate kid was really bad.

her biggest bone of contention was with men not using the body movement in step sequence, she was on and on about it, saying they need to change from straight position 3x during the step sequence and that the coaches need to know that better than the judges.

at some point I just had to tune her out

readernick

Medalist
Tat is as she is. What can you say? I can't say I am fond of any Russian coach or official (with the exception of Moskvina 👑)

I really liked Lezheev's skating (not the program) but the way he skated it. I'm not familiar with him. Who is his coach? Has he skated internationally?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
No, he didn’t skate internationally, but regulary competes nationally, according to Grishin and TAT banter, drawing attention by the quality of his gliding. He doesn’t have quads, and not training them (TAT added that ‘you must understand, not everyone would train quads’). They say they always liked his quality of skating otherwise. he is 24, so Grishin joked that if you’re going to put quads in, now is the time. His coach is Kulibanova and he skates for St.P/Karelia.

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
No, he didn’t skate internationally, but regulary competes nationally, according to Grishin and TAT banter, drawing attention by the quality of his gliding. He doesn’t have quads, and not training them (TAT added that you must understand, not everyone would train quads). They say they always liked his quality of skating otherwise. he is 24, so Grishin joked that if you going to put quads in, now is the time. His coach is Kulibanova and he skates for St.P/Karelia.
Thanks. Yes, his SS really did stand out. As did the fact that he only attempted jumps he can actually land (a rarity among Russian men). I bet he would score better internationally than many of the falling lads regularly sent out into competition.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Apparently, he was supposed to have a S in his program and didn’t do it... He looked super happy, didn’t he? was definitely one of those skaters that are fun to see when countries open up their National competitions to the rest of the world. Fingers crossed we’ll see more of that in te coming years from all countries, not just Russia (I really enjoyed all the nationals last year)

Dogo

On the Ice
Artem Kovalev's smile is contagious!! 😌 This young guy is so adorable when he gets energized halfway through his long program and asks everyone to clap for him. The height on his second 3A was crazy good. He has earned a new fan here.

Also, his face shares some similarities with Kolyada's. Sometimes he looks like his cousin (or distant relative), right? Maybe it's just me thinking this 😅

Last edited: