2020-21 Russian Men's figure skating | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Men's figure skating

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
the best part of the first half was that TAT didn’t make a pip. Also, Erokhov put up a fight.

in the second part, she made a 180 on Samarin, praising him for skating with injuries. In fact, she said, injuries are pretty much a must. In the end, she couldn’t help it and said those marks are not Sasha’s.

Gumennik got ‘gorgeous’ and more compliments, then get boy’d again...

Semenenko got compliments on 4S, it’s ease and height, and on his tricky exit from his near fall/UR on 3A, by turning it in spread eagle. She said, if it were up to her, she’d add points for ‘this kind of thing’

and, Kovalev got some compliments—no wonder, the kid was on fire. Then TATsaid that the judges will not doubt’ dig up some deduction. (Does she know something we don’t know?) thankfully, they didn’t. Because, you know, Eteri doesn’t have a horse in this race.

Lezheev got basically ‘good try, but too many errors’ and the lecture on how quads move the sport, and those who do them are soaring eagles.

I gotta say, Plushenko told Kovalev his first win was a ‘fart’, well, his streak still holds. Samarin, I don’t even know what to feel, feel sorry he has to skate in pain, but putting those 3As was crazy and... yeah, crazy.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Who would have been internationally eligible, had there been an ISU season?

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Kovalev is really good, i remember him from that JGP in Japan, i'm happy he found that consistency and a quad sal which looks solid. He has good performance qualities, he tried to sell the routine more than the others here i think.

Samarin apparently injured, decided to do only triples and good for him he delivered a clean performance. I'm not fan of his skating: transitions are lacking, lots of skating on two feet, sloppy posture, i think PCS are always a bit too high for him.

Gumennik i like his costume, he has a strong presence on the ice, good spinner too, some of his jumps look a little short on rotation, he fought for everything in the free.

Semenenko had a bit of an unfortunate outing, cause i think he could have medalled here with that 4T landed, he has a very very good jumping technique, he's one to watch for the future.

I also really liked Lezheev's programs, artistically i'd say the best here, good posture, good spins positions, some cool moves like the cartwheel, knee slide, etc. he had mistakes on the jumps, but he looked better here than previous seasons.

Artemisa

Final Flight
After two stages .. we can say that the men's field is a open field and no one has the place secure.

Artem .. I like him since he skate in the JGP .. I hope the grown has stop... and he deserves the win .. if he can continue to be consistent who knows where he will be at the end of the season
Petyr .. great skate I think he deserved the 2 place.
Both of them have a straight line in the jumps so good techic
Samarin .. well.. I think if he is injury he needs to rest not compete

There is still a spot in the russian GP? I hope Artem can be choose for that spot

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I am really looking forward to seeing Russian GP if it goes ahead, because with so many injuries and uncertainties, it’s hard to see what is going on and who is going to join Kolyada and Aliev as the third guy, providing that Aliev and Kolyada are okay...

The day was Kovalev’s though, for sure.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Well, many strong contenders still to come in later cup stages (Mozalev for one, I think he might have a shot at champion just cos he's so consistent plus pays attention to levels). And Danielian, who might not make Cup, maybe Rostelecom, but if he gets a bye to Nationals and is healthy by then is also a major force to be reckoned with. Kolyada and Aliev of course are still to come with experience and PCS on their side. Then again, their competitive form after a long hiatus (Kolyada)/recent injury (Aliev/Danielian) is a bit of a question. So many unknowns, exciting eh?

My money's on Mozalev because I like kooky weird programmes :D But hope everyone can be healthy and skate their best so we have a real intense fight at Nats!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Providing/Hoping the injuries heal, I feel that Kolyada and Aliev are more of frontrunners, with quite a bit of interesting young skaters fighting for the third spot. I am also huge fan of Mozalev (I know I am subtle about it, lol) but Danielian, Gumennik, Ignatov, Samarin all have excellent qualities, and now Kovalev is picking up steam... I am not even sure who is junior, who’s senior there anymore. Except that Kutovoy is junior, heh, and Samsonov.

I enjoy this everything could happen field and hope we’ll see Aliev soon.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Just caught up with the men's stream and agree with what's already been said here. Happy for Erokhov having a decent comeback in the free (He Was Raised Up today after Falling yesterday, Butsaeva's taste in music makes total sense now 🤣) I'm sad for Kondratiuk though, bad splat on the 4T at the start really affected his Opera Pop Rothbart interpretation and performance.
Really liked the 3As from Kovalev and Samarin - so much power and height. Semenenko's was effortless too but the chicken wing hands are a bit distracting.
I think my dear young man Matvei is competing tomorrow (not sure though, can't find the full entry list). Anyway the littlies should be fun!

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Cup of Russia Juniors Men SP

Top 5 after the short program

Matvei Vetlugin - 83.39
Andrey Anisimov - 78.42
Kirill Sarnovsky - 77.27
Vsevolod Knyazev - 74.57
Fedor Zonov - 73.55

Vetlugin was clean this time, i think by far the best here. Nice to see him landing the jumps.

Sarnovsky has a good program, nice sharp choreography, not as clean performance today but he's still in the mix for the free.

I really liked Zonov's SP, he's coached by Chebotareva, he has really strong posture and skating skills, big jumps, great spinner, no 3a yet, but very nice skate here. The program was very good too.

Last edited:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Heh, I have a lot of work to do today, so I am keeping juniors competing as reward for powering through it.
Same here 😢 Just sporadically checking for updates via the competition thread cos the commentary there is hilarious... will catch up properly later

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hey folks, this is yet another reminder to please put competition information and Play-by-plays in the appropriate Forum. In this case, the Cup of Russia skates belong in the forum below during the event.

We also ask that if there is any news, interviews, or other tidbits, to please start a new thread in the Edge for those members who don't frequent this particular forum :)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
yay, Vetlugin!

also, hope it’s not specific enough, but I was thinking that one of the young gentlemen, I think his first name was Kiril, could have been Uno’s fan, because he was jumping 2A-3T, and kind of sort of seem to have a bit of stylistic resemblance. Maybe I am just imagining things, lol.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Yay indeed for Vetlugin's first win at a Russian Cup stage :D Pity about today's falls, yesterday's SP was beautiful. I kind of wish he had all Level 4s in his FP too (not worth that much extra but is a real statement of quality in Junior men, especially on the a step sequence), but maybe he has to conserve his energy for those jumps.

Also happy for Zonov, he has a classic aura to him - smooth edges and nice lines, Chebotareva really teaches good basic skating skills!

You don't mean Kirill S do you, Lariko?

(I think it's ok as long as we don't go into specifics on the scores and stuff... and anyway the folks on Ladies thread get away with more...)

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
also, hope it’s not specific enough, but I was thinking that one of the young gentlemen, I think his first name was Kiril, could have been Uno’s fan, because he was jumping 2A-3T, and kind of sort of seem to have a bit of stylistic resemblance. Maybe I am just imagining things, lol.
There were two Kirills skating yesterday. Kirill Kelmanov and Kirill Sarnovsky.

Don't know much about Kirill K, but Kirill S definitely fanboys Yuzuru, he has a Pooh tissue box cover! Now you mention it though, his free skate costume does seem very Shoma-esque. :) He's got good taste it seems! :laugh:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
There were two Kirills skating yesterday. Kirill Kelmanov and Kirill Sarnovsky.

Don't know much about Kirill K, but Kirill S definitely fanboys Yuzuru, he has a Pooh tissue box cover! Now you mention it though, his free skate costume does seem very Shoma-esque. :) He's got good taste it seems! :laugh:
Klemanov! I meant Klemanov. (And, lol, I miss Uno so much, it’s not even funny)

Forgot Sarnovsky was Kiril too. I dunno, with Sarnovsky, I look at him, I see Plushenko or other tall adult skater doing this choreo. I know he is trying, and he is doing it well, but the combo of that music and this young athlet.... imo, Queen, despite it being a dead horse this year for Russian men, was far better choice for his teammate. I wish the Russians didn’t set their teens to skating to the music that ages them so often. But, yeah, find something in addition to Queen too. Lol