2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating

mrrice

Record Breaker
Mariah was so amazing tonight! Her jumps were solid, her spins were gorgeous, and her overall skating is always so classy! Good luck in the freeskate tomorrow, Mariah!
Mariah was Sublime. Mature and expressive. Her choreography was amazing and she is a wonderful performer. So happy for her.

Ross74

Medalist
Got my first look at Audrey Shin, and now I'm a fan! If her choice of music is a sign that she is inspired by Marin Honda, then I'm especially excited to see how she develops in the years to come
I wasn't familiar with Audrey until I saw her at the Colorado summer club competitions that were streamed. She made a huge impression on me and I'm so glad she did well tonight!

SorrySkater

On the Ice
That's exactly who I thought of when I was watching her. Great minds.
I don’t remember young Mao and was struggling to find a comparison. Audrey’s skating just seems light, airy and effortless. I was looking through the predictions for Skate America and, unless I have missed something, a lot of people are seriously underestimating her. Didn’t she end up in 3rd or 4th in the points challenge?

natsulian

Final Flight
1. Mariah Bell - beautiful, restraint, and yet quietly powerful
2. Bradie Tennell - I admire the range Tennell possesses and loved the sass at the beginning (which fizzled out as the program progressed)
3. Audrey Shin - floaty, airy skating that truly showcases how beautiful of a skater Shin is
4. Karen Chen - HUGE jumps and emotively powerful skating... truly breathtaking
5. Amber Glenn - exudes newfound confidence and radiates power

The ladies truly brought excitement AND exquisite skating! At this point, it's anyone's game. If Amber lands everything, including the triple-Axel, then she could move up several spots. Mariah and Bradie will skate for their lives as one jumping pass could spell gold or silver: a nail biter. Figure skating is (somewhat) back!

My Scores for the Top 5:
1. 74,39 - Mariah Bell, 2A, 3F3T<, 3Lz
2. 73.41 - Bradie Tennell, 2A, 3Lz3T<, 3F
3. 70.62 - Audrey Shin, 2A, 3Lz3T, 3F
4. 69.79 - Karen Chen, 2A, 3Lz<3T<, 3Lo
5. 68.35 - Amber Glenn, 2A, 3F3T, 3Lo

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
1. Mariah Bell - beautiful, restraint, and yet quietly powerful
2. Bradie Tennell - I admire the range Tennell possesses and loved the sass at the beginning (which fizzled out as the program progressed)
3. Audrey Shin - floaty, airy skating that truly showcases how beautiful of a skater Shin is
4. Karen Chen - HUGE jumps and emotively powerful skating... truly breathtaking
5. Amber Glenn - exudes newfound confidence and radiates power

The ladies truly brought excitement AND exquisite skating! At this point, it's anyone's game. If Amber lands everything, including the triple-Axel, then she could move up several spots. Mariah and Bradie will skate for their lives as one jumping pass could spell gold or silver: a nail biter. Figure skating is (somewhat) back!

My Scores for the Top 5:
1. 74,39 - Mariah Bell, 2A, 3F3T<, 3Lz
2. 73.41 - Bradie Tennell, 2A, 3Lz3T<, 3F
3. 70.62 - Audrey Shin, 2A, 3Lz3T, 3F
4. 69.79 - Karen Chen, 2A, 3Lz<3T<, 3Lo
5. 68.35 - Amber Glenn, 2A, 3F3T, 3Lo
I like your scores better than the real ones. I really do like Mariah Bell but, I don't agree with the spread between she and Bradie. Maybe I have to see them live to really get it. I thought all the ladies skated well under the circumstances and I look forward to the Long Program.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
So the US judges have decided to hose Bradie.

Does that mean the International judges will too or they will do what they do? Because she was doing VERY well internationally last year PCS wise so I am wondering what will happen when international competitions resume again (if they ever). I feel like she has a decent reputation on the international front and it would be a shame to see her penalised because the US Fed decided to beat her down.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
This year is basically a wash, so I don't care so much, but when things get back to normal, I don't want to see Gracie Gold in a Grand Prix event until she proves in other competitions that she is back to an appropriate level. There are just too many other American skaters that deserve that spot ahead of her right now.

natsulian

Final Flight
Top 12 US Ladies Based on Scores (2020):
1. Mariah Bell, 212
2. Bradie Tennell, 211
3. Audrey Shin, 206
4. Karen Chen, 204
5. Lindsay Thorngren, 192
6. Amber Glenn, 191
7. Alysa Liu, 183
8. Pooja Kalyan, 179
9. Paige Rydberg, 178
10. Starr Andrews, 171
11. Sierra Vanetta, 170
12. Finley Hawk, 165

Upcoming Events:
- Championship Series in Blaine from November 9 to 13
- Championship Series in Norwood from November 10 to 14 (!)
- Championship Series in Spokane from November 11 to 14

! - could potentially be canceled or postponed due to rink closures

Smith16

Rinkside
Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I just finished watching Skate America. I was surprised to see Mariah win with the skate she skated today. Close to her personal best score when I thought her skates last year were better. I don’t like her long program this year. I don’t know if she would get these scores against other athletes internationally. I still think Tennell will do better internationally. Other than that placement, the rest of the placements made sense to me. After Skate America it looks like these following athletes are the top and will be part of the national team for worlds:

Worlds: Bell, Tennell, Chen (Continentals); Glenn needs her triple axel and more consistency
Jr. Worlds: Liu, Shin and Thorngen

Shin shocked me today. I watched her ISP programs and thought she was underscored and deserved better there. So, it felt like redemption to me today to see her score over 200 and a bronze medal. So happy to see good performances rewarded.

natsulian

Final Flight
There’s a “Las Vegas Skating Spectacular” listed for November 1st and according to a blurb from Japan, US figure skaters will be separated into two teams and go head to head; Alysa Liu is one of the headliners. This explains why the rink was booked for Oct. 23-24 AND Oct. 26th. Could this be the team event that Vincent Zhou said he was preparing for? This seems very much like a Worlds Team Event but with domestic skaters.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I just finished watching Skate America. I was surprised to see Mariah win with the skate she skated today. Close to her personal best score when I thought her skates last year were better. I don’t like her long program this year. I don’t know if she would get these scores against other athletes internationally. I still think Tennell will do better internationally. Other than that placement, the rest of the placements made sense to me. After Skate America it looks like these following athletes are the top and will be part of the national team for worlds:

Worlds: Bell, Tennell, Chen (Continentals); Glenn needs her triple axel and more consistency
Jr. Worlds: Liu, Shin and Thorngen
I could have sworn they were still going to hold Nationals this year...

mrrice

Record Breaker
Who did Bradie upset at the ISU because look at the pictures they posted of her on their social media. They're horrible. Espeically when compared to Mariah and Audrey's pictures.

Someone has to be doing this on purpose.
I agree and I don't like it. Bradie is an excellent skater and when she skates well, I have her ahead of Mariah. It seems that the judges are willing hand their head to head meetings to Mariah no matter how they skate. It's actually disheartening.

Last edited:

MiraiFan

Final Flight
I agree and I don't like it. Bradie is an excellent skater and when she skates well, I have her ahead of Mariah. It seems that the judges are willing hand their head to head meetings to Mariah no matter how they skate. It's actually disheartening.
Agree. I Mariah's music cuts alone deserved a deduction and I couldn't get into her SP either... She was skating with the music, not to it. I really enjoyed Bradie's maturity and presentation...

Skatefan15

On the Ice
I agree, I think it’s only domestically though. Once international competitions happen (at some point😬) again, I think Bradie will be scoring higher (especially since she always has been for the past few years). It is disheartening though to see these judges not really judging the skates they are seeing and instead just pushing forward a federation favorite no matter what they do.