2020 Rostelecom Cup: Pairs' FS | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2020 Rostelecom Cup: Pairs' FS

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Oh don’t say that. All this working from home caused me to gain weight, so a week ago I locked away all the Sinterklaas chocolate I have in the house, promising myself I wouldn’t touch it until December 5 (ie Dutch Sinterklaas celebration).
Now I wanna grab that chocolate and DIG IN!!!
i doubled my workout to avoid that or better to don't feel to guilty :LOL:

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Tbf, I don't think Mishina and Galiamov, brilliant as they are, stand any chance when B/K skate like they did today
As a fan of both of them (though more partial to B/K), if both are 100% clean then B/K will probably take the lead with PCS, otherwise it's literally going to be a fight for every point. Like a lost level on a death spiral could cost one team the win.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
I guess what I will keep in memory from this GP is the ice cream and the losing battle the skaters fought against it. First they stared at it, then they clandestinely snatched it away and in the end they eat it openly in front of the running camera. The makers couldn't hope for better advertising! :laugh2:

NAOTMAA

Medalist
What i like very much about it is how they finished all the required elements somewhat sooner and the end of the programme is watching an exibition and not a competitive programme (y)
I think it's designed specifically that way to try and make to two things happen

1. Force them out of their comfort zone to let loose and perform more
2. Get the crowd excited ....hence all those choegraphed "highlight" moves

I'm sure it definitely will look better with more milage and experience

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Are there no T/M fans here? Give them a good classical piece, and they are glorious. IMHO!
They're fabulous for sure, but they aren't as consistent as Madame Moskvina's teams. That's probably why they keep on being left out of the conversation

Artemisa

Final Flight
Both teams are great. I think for M/G winning B/K they have to be perfect em both the programs (because even when SP is skate perfect and B/K does mistakes the diference is very little).. when B/K skate like this is almost impossible to beat them ..

NAOTMAA

Medalist
They're fabulous for sure, but they aren't as consistent as Madame Moskvina's teams. That's probably why they keep on being left out of the conversation
Marina has done fantastic work with them and they have definitely improved but I still wish they went to Tamara. With their basics and her creativity it could have been magical! :love:

rain

Record Breaker
Just a few of overall comments for the entire field (and thus there will be exceptions):

1. Will the judges please start marking the pairs spins for what they really are? Which is mostly, slow, awkward, and ugly. If they do, it might inspire some of these teams to actually improve them. Think it can't be done? Just take a look over at the dance competition.

2. So many awkward and overly complicated lift exits, so little time. Doing something different and cool with your lift exit is great — if you can make it look smooth and music-appropriate. Many, many of these teams did not. Complication for complication's sake.

3. Can we please ditch the requirement for the lady to grab her skate blade in lifts? Please, PLEASE??? So many needlessly ugly and awkward positions. I always imagine the point of lifts initially in pairs skating was to covey the idea of flight. Now we have girls twisted into little donuts practically sitting on the man's head and one has to wonder what the point is anymore.

OK, rants over, lol.

It's a real shame about the junior world champions, Panfilova and Rylov. They have a great many amazing pair qualities, but they cannot jump. And watching them try gives me little feeling that they will be able to learn. She barely leaves the ice, and he's not a jumping rock star either.

Mishina and Galliamov grew on me a little here. She seems to have some personality. But it's all a bit mechanical. And this was a bit rough around the edges. I was hoping they'd repeat their SP lift, since it's my absolute favourite.

Boikova/Kozlovski came through for the win. They're really developing into big contenders. I don't know that I love this program. I'll have to watch it again, but I don't know that I got it.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
3. Can we please ditch the requirement for the lady to grab her skate blade in lifts? Please, PLEASE??? So many needlessly ugly and awkward positions. I always imagine the point of lifts initially in pairs skating was to covey the idea of flight. Now we have girls twisted into little donuts practically sitting on the man's head and one has to wonder what the point is anymore.

I don't believe the blade grab is required. They do it because it's like an "easy" way to get levels. Good old Star lift or Stag lift just don't yield as many points as those ugly crotchety blade grabs.

rain

Record Breaker
I don't believe the blade grab is required. They do it because it's like an "easy" way to get levels. Good old Star lift or Stag lift just don't yield as many points as those ugly crotchety blade grabs.

Yeah, that's actually what I meant by "requirement". Perhaps not the best choice of words. There really needs to be some kind of deduction that can be taken for hideousness if they're not going to adjust the blade grab rules.

YoenNL

Rinkside
It’s Jeroen Prins. His specialty is Pairs, IIRC
I am not sure why he is here, though. Is it a requirement that there is an international judge or tech controller on a panel? Russia is code orange for Dutchies, so he would have to self-quarantaine for ten days upon return.

Actually I wish he were in the Netherlands doing commentary on the Eurosport stream. I really don’t like the English one, although maybe it’s just because I am not used to hearing commentary anymore, period.
1. You are correct ;)

2. Russia needed a Pairs TC as they have neither an international- nor ISU level one themselves. A negative COVID test had to be presented upon entering Russia, temperature was taken every day when entering the arena.

3. Eurosport has no rights for broadcasting, except for OWG 2022. For the Eurosport Player stream I guess they take the international commentating.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
3. Eurosport has no rights for broadcasting, except for OWG 2022. For the Eurosport Player stream I guess they take the international commentating.
Oh, now, see, that is interesting! Thank you, I had no idea that was the case. I didn't realize there is such a difference between the TV channels and the Player.
So I guess for those countries that the ISU lists as having rights (i.e. geoblocked for viewers on youtube because of Eurosport) there is just little use complaining about them not airing anything on TV, because Eurosport may not actually *have* the rights for showing it on TV, but only on the Player.
Ah, sometimes it's complicated being a figure skating fan. :palmf: