2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 603 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
December 2, 3 and 4 will have the Sankt Peterburg Ultimate in KMS and Sankt Peterburg Championships in MS rank.

Notable names in the Ultimate competition:
Anna Karpuk, Arina Kshetskaya, Sof'ya Moroz, Valeriya Ovchinnikova (27 declared contestants)

Notable names in the Championships competition:
Nikol Vaytkus, Anastasiya Gubanova, Stanislava Konstantinova, Sof'ya Moroz (?), Arina Onishchenko, Sof'ya Samodurova, Mariya Talalaykina (17 declared contestants)

information: http://fskating.spb.ru/news/meropryatia/chempionat-i-pervenstvo-sankt-peterburga-5
live scoring: http://fskating.spb.ru/images/result/2021/02041120PervSPB/index.htm

live streams:

Last edited:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
December 9-12 will have Moscow Championships in both KMS and MS ranks, in the Megasport straight after 5th stage of Russian Cup.
So wether all declared contestants will compete twice in a week?

Notable names in juniors (KMS):
Sof'ya Akat'yeva, Yelizaveta Berestovskaya, Sof'ya Vazhnova, Mariya Zakharova, Anastasiya Zinina, Yelizaveta Kulikova, Sof'ya Muravyova, Mariya Paramonova, Mariya Rebrova, Sof'ya Samodelkina (33 declared contestants)

Notable names in seniors (both KMS and MS ranks):
Kamila Sultanmagomedova, Anastasiya Tarakanova, Dar'ya Usachyova, Anna Frolova, Maya Khromykh, Kseniya Tsibinova (13 declared contestants)

Information: http://ffkm.ru/competitions/current/1395-chm2020
no live scoring link yet announced
no live streaming yet announded

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
All the younger skaters in the various children's and novices' ranks are competing almost every other week.

"Cup of Brais" December 5-6
"Junior Competition for the prize of Mariya Butirskaya" December 10-11
"Inspiration" December 11-13
"New Year 2021" December 17-18
"December Frosts" December 19-20
"Christmas Meetings" December 22-23

Al lot of these tournaments are of the open kind, organised by commercial rinks such as the Southern Ice.
Wether all will take place, since some have been postponed already and the calendar is bunched up?

McBibus

On the Ice
Also you know what i find funny? A lot of critics of Russian Ladies cite the fact that only teenagers are competing and not enough "mature women" (which is pretty sexist), but I just watched NHK Trophy (I'd totally recommend any hardcore skating - like skating skills - fans to watch the entirety of the Ladies event), and I'm pretty sure the oldest person there was 21. The majority of skaters there were 16 to 18 which qualifies them still as teens. It's just the same thing as the quad argument and the lutz edge arguments, sure, it is a problem, but don't just point at the Russian girls that you hate as examples when clearly these issues are worldwide. Sorry, this has nothing to do with anyone in this thread, I'm just soo annoyed by YouTube and Instagram comments. If I see another "flooptz" used as an insult to Russian teenagers when the Koreans, Americans, Japanese, all flutz and pre-rotate
the lutz problem is in the rules non in the russian coaches.
You can't blame coaches and consequently skaters for pushing rules to their maximum extension, and concentrating on the edge call is a lost battle in terms of quality and unicity of the element.
If we somehow reformulate the rules so that a Lutz will be jumped while turning in the opposite direction of your rotation we will have an unique jump and not a Flip on the wrong edge, but it's not on the skaters: it's the rules that say the only difference is in the takeoff edge.

Novalis

Record Breaker
So ISU are meeting in December 10th. I'm guessing they will cancel Europeans entirely, but push forward for now with the bubble concept idea for Stockholm Worlds. If this happens, should the Russians change the Worlds qualifier competition from Nationals to Cup Final? The latter is a month before Worlds, much more showing the potential Worlds form of each skater.

Can you give byes to that event for National Team members like Medvedeva and Sinitsyna? They could be in decent, if not great, form by then as well. And I'm also thinking of Anna Shcherbakova here. If the pneumonia takes too long to recover, she will probably end up being behind all three of Sasha, Alyona and Liza at Nationals and miss out of potential (ultimately I suppose unlikely) Worlds. That's two seasons of her prime when she doesn't get to go to Worlds. I would be so sad.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
FFKKR is keeping hopes up and will work out something. They'll send who they think have the best chances of medaling, wether they've passed through all required procedures and competitions or not.

I beleive Gorshkov already said so in some interview of late.

Which means Kostornaya, Shcherbakova and Trusova don't even really need to regain their top form from last year to medal in European Championships, even Russia's B-team will have fair chances at the podium.

World Championships is another matter though, and there is more time. When none of the former Awesome Amazing Aces perform at their peak potential in Chelyabinsk, perhaps a second sampling competition is needed, like Russian Cup Final in Novgorod?

Last edited:

McBibus

On the Ice
So ISU are meeting in December 10th. I'm guessing they will cancel Europeans entirely, but push forward for now with the bubble concept idea for Stockholm Worlds. If this happens, should the Russians change the Worlds qualifier competition from Nationals to Cup Final? The latter is a month before Worlds, much more showing the potential Worlds form of each skater.

Can you give byes to that event for National Team members like Medvedeva and Sinitsyna? They could be in decent, if not great, form by then as well. And I'm also thinking of Anna Shcherbakova here. If the pneumonia takes too long to recover, she will probably end up being behind all three of Sasha, Alyona and Liza at Nationals and miss out of potential (ultimately I suppose unlikely) Worlds. That's two seasons of her prime when she doesn't get to go to Worlds. I would be so sad.
I Think using a competition results (like trials) to define a team for an international competition is self damaging.
If there is great competition to find a spot, your athletes will program a peak form for the qualifier and then adjust their training to have second peak for the international competition.
Depending of the interval it may be possibile to be 100% at both dates or not.

At the momento russian ladies are out of reach, but in a future where the gap is disappearing it would be more benefical to allow the best skater to program their season for the international events

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Rest assured, the Russian Fed will always find some way to screw over Liza if possible. It wouldn't surprise me for them to put together some last minute competition to give other skaters another chance to earn a spot over Tuk.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Yay! But why oh why didn't she enter the Russian Cup? Her teammates Nugumanova and Talalaykina have both been there and Gubanova is (on paper) the best one of the three...
Knowing that Nastya is or was a good bit better than the two girls you mentioned who train at the same rink makes her complete absence this season even more frustrating while those other two training mates of hers have skated in multiple competition so far. Nastya hasn't skated in competition since February. it doesn't make sense. But nothing makes sense in Nastyas career. Some of that it's her fault such as a coaching changes and her possibly being a very impetuous teenager.
Nothing makes sense in this covid-19 season.

Nastya was in good form at the Russian Cup Final in February. It looked like she was getting through puberty finally. I have no idea what to expect in the St. Petersburg cup. But I would not expect her to be in the good form she was in at the Russian Cup Final in February. I wish her well. It will be interesting to see Nastya again.. I wish she could be happy like Little Liza is no matter what's going on.

I wish I was Evgenia was skating there too.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Knowing that Nastya is or was a good bit better than the two girls you mentioned who train at the same rink makes her complete absence this season even more frustrating while those other two training mates of hers have skated in multiple competition so far. Nastya hasn't skated in competition since February. it doesn't make sense. But nothing makes sense in Nastyas career. Some of that it's her fault such as a coaching changes and her possibly being a very impetuous teenager.
Nothing makes sense in this covid-19 season.

Nastya was in good form at the Russian Cup Final in February. It looked like she was getting through puberty finally. I have no idea what to expect in the St. Petersburg cup. But I would not expect her to be in the good form she was in at the Russian Cup Final in February. I wish her well. It will be interesting to see Nastya again.. I wish she could be happy like Little Liza is no matter what's going on.

I wish I was Evgenia was skating there too.
Maybe Gubanova has been injured? Or...it might be that she is that kind of girl that gets better at the latter part of the season, so she just might not have been fit enough to compete at Russian Cup? Or...she might not be with Rukavicin anymore... Who knows? Her abscence this season has been a mystery. And I've missed her dearly... :(

EDIT: I just remember that there were som Sankt Petersburg competition early on this season where Gubanova was listed. She withdrew. Is there an injury in play here?

Last edited:

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
December 2, 3 and 4 will have the Sankt Peterburg Ultimate in KMS and Sankt Peterburg Championships in MS rank.

Notable names in the Ultimate competition:
Anna Karpuk, Arina Kshetskaya, Sof'ya Moroz, Valeriya Ovchinnikova (27 declared contestants)

Notable names in the Championships competition:
Nikol Vaytkus, Anastasiya Gubanova, Stanislava Konstantinova, Sof'ya Moroz (?), Arina Onishchenko, Sof'ya Samodurova, Mariya Talalaykina (17 declared contestants)

information: http://fskating.spb.ru/news/meropryatia/chempionat-i-pervenstvo-sankt-peterburga-5
live scoring: http://fskating.spb.ru/images/result/2021/02041120PervSPB/index.htm

live streams:

Thank you Edwin! Much appreciated.
But I can't read this time schedule. When is the senior girls competing?

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden

Well, I choose to stay positive. I hope Stockholm Worlds will happen, and I expect Shcherbakova to be there...period. Any other option is devastating to me...

Scott512

Record Breaker
Maybe Gubanova has been injured? Or...it might be that she is that kind of girl that gets better at the latter part of the season, so she just might not have been fit enough to compete at Russian Cup? Or...she might not be with Rukavicin anymore... Who knows? Her abscence this season has been a mystery. And I've missed her dearly... :(

EDIT: I just remember that there were som Sankt Petersburg competition early on this season where Gubanova was listed. She withdrew. Is there an injury in play here?
It could be anything. But it's a typical Russian mystery. ;)

Happy birthday to Nastya today. She's 18 and it just seems like a few years ago she was such a promising novice and Junior.. actually it was just a few years ago.

Any updates on ksenia and her mysterious disappearance this season when she was going to get Grand Prix events?

Fluture

Record Breaker
Is there an injury in play here?
Or she, like half of all Russian skaters right now, suffered from “pneumonia“. Or a “very tough cold“, or a “fever“. You choose.

Anyway, I hope all skaters make it through this without any serious consequences to their health. RusFed would deserve to learn the hard way that holding a banquet without social distancing in the middle of a pandemic, or competitions without strict mandatory mask wearing regulations is extraordinarily stupid. The skaters, however, do not. They‘re paying for it with their career and health. Sure, they should know better and in the end, everyone is responsible for themselves. But if this is how the ones in charge decide to address the issue (by hiding it and acting as if everything was perfectly fine and nothing was happening whatsoever), I’m not surprised the skaters themselves aren‘t taking it as seriously as they should either. It‘s not an excuse for going to the banquet or not wearing masks properly but in the end, the skaters themselves didn‘t force those “two cups to qualify to Nats“ rules on themselves.

As for RusFed...well, they will continue to pat themselves on the back for “being the only ones to save figure skating this season“ until something truly drastic happens. Maybe even then.

Last edited:

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
Any updates on ksenia and her mysterious disappearance this season when she was going to get Grand Prix events?
Apparently she was injured first, which was why she had to withdraw from 1st stage and test skates, and then she got a cold so she couldn't train (or something like that) so she withdrew from 5th stage. At this point I just hope she heals quickly and can get back on the ice to train for (possibly?) RusNats or if not that (possibly?) Russian Cup FInal. I just hope she gets one event this season at least so RusFed will give her a GP next season (because looking at the standings for next season... getting just one GP spot will be a bloodbath. Ugh, if she doesn't even get one I will literally cry because it's looking very likely she won't get any and she definitely would have gotten one, if not two, this season.)

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Apparently she was injured first, which was why she had to withdraw from 1st stage and test skates, and then she got a cold so she couldn't train (or something like that) so she withdrew from 5th stage. At this point I just hope she heals quickly and can get back on the ice to train for (possibly?) RusNats or if not that (possibly?) Russian Cup FInal. I just hope she gets one event this season at least so RusFed will give her a GP next season (because looking at the standings for next season... getting just one GP spot will be a bloodbath. Ugh, if she doesn't even get one I will literally cry because it's looking very likely she won't get any and she definitely would have gotten one, if not two, this season.)
Technically Ksenia should have one GP spot guaranteed through her SB from last season, since skaters cannot gain SBs or WS' this season except through the two Challengers that took place, the ISU will likely reuse the SBs and WS' from last season (my guess). GP assignments are determined by being in the Top 24 SB list or WS list (each skater on that list is guaranteed one spot) RusFed cannot take that spot from her, it is guaranteed through the ISU since she was placed high on the Top24 SB list.

Status
Not open for further replies.