2020-21 Russian Nationals: Ladies' Free Skate | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Nationals: Ladies' Free Skate

NAOTMAA

Medalist
One good thing is they haven't managed to push aside the "old guard" to crown the new queen. At least not yet.
Adios to "Kamila is Eteri and the Russian feds. undoubted chosen golden girl and everyone else is chopped liver" narrative :cool:

I think it's clear they love Kamila but I actually think they love Anna more. She's a lot like Evgenia and they really love her so it makes sense they love someone just like her. Plus you don't win three consecutive nationals titles in this climate just willy nilly.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
You know how athletes say that they feel empty inside because they have nothing more to give after a wonderful skate? That's how I feel. I feel emotionally drained by having watched this wonderful competition.

Sasha and Kami have so much height on their quads as if they could go for a quint as well! Most beautiful quads! :clap::clap:

Anna, all I have to say: :bow::bow::bow:
Toally agree :bow:

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
They could have had at least put Trusova in 2nd place.
They actually did call both Kamila's and Sasha's 3Fs with a q and ! respectively. Their tech contents are actually pretty similar, essentially identical. So are you suggesting Sasha deserves better PCS than Kamila? Sasha HAS improved but Kamila is still ahead in terms of presentation and interpretation. Plus Kamila had a lead going into the FS.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Kamila does still do 2 quads though. Sasha' beats her in tech content and base score but it's close. Kamila makes up ground by replacing the 2nd 2A with a 3Lo, erasing some of the 4-3 vs 4-2 difference. Also Kamila has better spins and gets level 4s on them. Also keep in mind Kamila DID get a q on her flip so Sasha wasn't the only one with a call on her flip.

And Kamila does have a 3A she will improve and can land in the short.
So, yes, Trusova needs 3A. Yes, I know that Valieva has better spins, but quad/quad combo content was stronger for Trusova, because Lutz has higher BV than Toeloop.

as for performance, it’s in the eye of the beholder, and I much prefer Trusova’s program artistically/music wise

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
Adios to "Kamila is Eteri and the Russian feds. undoubted chosen golden girl and everyone else is chopped liver" narrative :cool:

I think it's clear they love Kamila but I actually think they love Anna more. She's a lot like Evgenia and they really love her so it makes sense they love someone just like her. Plus you don't win three consecutive nationals titles in this climate just willy nilly.
Anna is also a senior with a very impressive resume, not that Kamila's resume isn't also impressive but she's just a junior internationally. Anna is still ahead in terms of interpretation over Kamila and it looks bad to have your best senior skaters beaten by juniors internationally see: Alysa (in the states) and Anna's own senior national debut (it's worse when your top senior skater is 4th after 3 juniors).

Amei

Record Breaker

I don't know if we need to get into a "who do they love more" competition but this was certainly not an easy competition for Shcherbakova recovering from pneumonia and had dreadful warmups and she went out and took her performance game to another level when it mattered most. Plus that coaching team has seen her suffer a bad leg break that made her have to relearn everything- if I search her name on Instagram 1 of the top videos I see is Daniil with her on the ice for the first time after the leg break.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
So, yes, Trusova needs 3A. Yes, I know that Valieva has better spins, but quad/quad combo content was stronger for Trusova, because Lutz has higher BV than Toeloop.

as for performance, it’s in the eye of the beholder, and I much prefer Trusova’s program artistically/music wise
Yes. But we're explaining how overall their tech content wasn't actually different, because Kamila makes up that difference by replacing a 2A with a 3Lo and getting level 4 spins.)

Paulipau

Final Flight
Country
Poland
Overally, what a competition! I never saw anything like that and I doubt that I will see it again. I was rooting for Sasha but have to agree that Kamila and Anna both surpass her in spins and skating skills.
I think that Russia could send their 10th skater to worlds and they would still medal if not win.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
I don't know if we need to get into a "who do they love more" competition but this was certainly not an easy competition for Shcherbakova recovering from pneumonia and had dreadful warmups and she went out and took her performance game to another level when it mattered most. Plus that coaching team has seen her suffer a bad leg break that made her have to relearn everything- if I search her name on Instagram 1 of the top videos I see is Daniil with her on the ice for the first time after the leg break.
Yeah when she was still a little baby skater she was actually the most promising out of the three of them - Alena, Anna, and Sasha - as she seemed to be the best combination of artistry and technical content. Then she broke her leg and missed her first entire international junior season - a season in which Sasha dazzled!! She actually used to have a 4T and did a 4T-3T-3Lo for fun in practice before getting injured but since being injured isn't able to jump 4Ts (and I think 4Ss) anymore.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yes. But we're explaining how overall their tech content wasn't actually different, because Kamila makes up that difference by replacing a 2A with a 3Lo and getting level 4 spins.)
If you do the trade for 2/3 on the end of the combo, for jumps, you can’t use it again for Lz vs T difference. So, you are saying that one level on spins compensates for the 2 4Lz vs 4T. So, in the end, they told Trusova wrong when they told her to reduce the number of quads

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
If you do the trade for 2/3 on the end of the combo, for jumps, you can’t use it again for Lz vs T difference. So, you are saying that one level on spins compensates for the 2 4Lz vs 4T. So, in the end, they told Trusova wrong when they told her to reduce the number of quads
No, I'm saying the combination does. Kamila was making up the deficit throughout her entire skate. We're talking about base value and technical content of the entire skate - not just the first 4 elements. Also, due to PCS and spins it was clear that a clean Anna and Kamila would beat a clean Sasha, if they all did 2 quads. That's been true for years. It's also why Alena was able to overtake Anna (despite Anna having 3 quads last year to Alena's 3 3A's). And they didn't tell Sasha to reduce the number of quads..she HAD to because she can't do her other quads right now nor her 3A.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
We're talking about base value and technical content. Also, due to PCS and spins it was clear that a clean Anna and Kamila would beat a clean Sasha, if they all did 2 quads. That's been true for years. It's also why Alena was able to overtake Anna (despite Anna having 3 quads last year to Alena's 3 3A's. And they didn't tell Sasha to reduce the number of quads..she HAD to because she can't do her other quads right now nor her 3A.
They told her after Rostelecom in the statement that said that Kostornaya showed progress toward 3A and that declaring content doesn’t mean performing content in terms of Trusova. The fed was as clear in its directions as they could have given.

SXTN

Final Flight
Why is Nugumanova doing 3Lo+3Lo in the Short Program, but can only be bothered to do 3Lo+2T instead of 3Lo+2Lo in the Long Program?
3Lo+2T vs 3Lo+2Lo is not that much of a difference.

And doing 3Lo+2Lo can mess up 3Lo+3Lo because rythm, timing and speed is completely different.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
They told her after Rostelecom in the statement that said that Kostornaya showed progress toward 3A and that declaring content doesn’t mean performing content in terms of Trusova. The fed was as clear in its directions as they could have given.
They told her to be clean and reduce her content so she would be clean. And she was physically forced to. They DIDN'T tell her if she was clean she would win. Anna and Kamila were clean too and both of them have high base values (especially including the short) and better spins.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
They told her to be clean and reduce her content so she would be clean. And she was physically forced to. They DIDN'T tell her if she was clean she would win. Anna and Kamila were clean too and both of them have high base values (especially including the short) and better lol
she followed the advice and it didn’t improve her standing. So, she has to go back to the higher quads programs and training 3A for short. Being clean, less quads and improved SS/performance are not enough.

SXTN

Final Flight
Don't tell me that was Evghenia with #teamtuberidze on her face
Why not? Eteri has made her two time World Champion and Olympic Silver Medallist.

She left Eteri when she hit puberty (especially when her mind hit puberty) and after she had fun baking cookies with Jason Brown and laughing at practices. Now at 20 her sports career is becoming more important again, so back to Eteri. Brian was nothing but suspenses.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
she followed the advice and it didn’t improve her standing. So, she has to go back to the higher quads programs and training 3A for short. Being clean, less quads and improved SS/performance are not enough.
She does have to add another quad or her 3A. That's always been true, if both Anna and Kamila land their 2 quads as well. (Especially as Anna is also skating a "watered down" program.) That's always been true. Their advice didn't say that it wouldn't. They didn't say it would improve her standing either. It would however solidify her placement and prevent a meltdown like at other competitions.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Man, Valieva's Bolero performance here was night and day compared to her previous renditions. She finally showed passion and attack in the FS, and for once, the program made sense for her.

I still think she deserves a better FS though.