2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 767 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novalis

Record Breaker
This Moscow competition thats going on now. If ive understood it correct its a qualifier to Novice nats right? But is it younger age or older age? And what happenes to skaters like Zhillina that withdrew? Can they still qualify somehow?
Both younger and older age. Just boys and girls single skating. The top six from each category qualify to the respective category at Novice Nationals.

Zhilina has been competing at the Junior Cup and will take part in the Junior Nationals in couple of weeks time. I can't say for sure, but I imagine that she qualifies through this route.

By the way, was it already mentioned somewhere in these forums that Ted is doing both the Junior Nats and the team event? He confirmed this in social media .

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
Both younger and older age. Just boys and girls single skating. The top six from each category qualify to the respective category at Novice Nationals.

Zhilina has been competing at the Junior Cup and will take part in the Junior Nationals in couple of weeks time. I can't say for sure, but I imagine that she qualifies through this route.

By the way, was it already mentioned somewhere in these forums that Ted is doing both the Junior Nats and the team event? He confirmed this in social media .
But the younger age nats has both a older and younger category so that is what confuses me...
I allways enjoy both of the novice nats competitions but I really dont understand the qualifying system. Surely there are more than one competition available to qualify through so you dont miss out if you have to withdraw due to minor injury or ilness?

Novalis

Record Breaker
I wrote this post to the competition forum, but also thought that it could be relevant in here as well:

Lena Radionova just posted Instagram stories clip where she is at Moskvich right now

She says that she is in a competition as a "nastavnik" for the first time. Google translate says "mentor".

macy

Record Breaker
Just wondering, what led to Alyona Kostornaia losing her 3A? Was it due to a lack of competition and practice during the time of peak COVID19? Some injuries? This cockroach of a pandemic just refuses to die, so it looks like it will play havoc with a lot of skaters.
a lot of unlucky circumstances this year. the training time lost when rinks were closed in the spring i think is what initially made her lose it. then she lost about 3 weeks of training when she went to Plushenko, boot problems which kept her from training for a week, lost more time when she tested positive for covid, and has dealt with injury.

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
a lot of unlucky circumstances this year. the training time lost when rinks were closed in the spring i think is what initially made her lose it. then she lost about 3 weeks of training when she went to Plushenko, boot problems which kept her from training for a week, lost more time when she tested positive for covid, and has dealt with injury.
From the start of this season its been clear that Aliona K has started out on the back foot. The training lost to quarantine or the late move to Plushenko clearly affected her more than her competitors. Its not only the 3A thats been missing this season but her other tripples and 3+3 combos have looked less solid than previously and loss of levels in StSq and Spinns speaks of a lack of preparation with the programs and/or a lack of stamina.
With the further setback of being sick in Covid I would be surprised if we see the 3A back this season. I think getting her pree 3A content back and stable will be enough to get her on the Worlds team this year (with Anna and Sasha, sorry Liza) provided she performes her programs better than she did at her two competitions so far this season.

If she can have a less troublesom off season this coming season I think she can get the 3A back for the olympic season but for this season I think she will have to settle with going for the bronze behind Anna and Sasha. (Not counting Kamilla who is still Junior even if RusFed treats her as Senior now).

Shayuki

Record Breaker
This Moscow competition thats going on now. If ive understood it correct its a qualifier to Novice nats right? But is it younger age or older age? And what happenes to skaters like Zhillina that withdrew? Can they still qualify somehow?
Essentially, this younger age competition is a Novice competition. Younger is basic novice, older advanced novice(Although both categories actually are quite a bit stronger than international novice categories, they're Russian "sports 2" and "sports 1" categories or whatever you'd call them). Then the older age championship is a Junior category championship for those who didn't participate in the actual Russian junior championships.

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
Essentially, this younger age competition is a Novice competition. Younger is basic novice, older advanced novice(Although both categories actually are quite a bit stronger than international novice categories, they're Russian "sports 2" and "sports 1" categories or whatever you'd call them). Then the older age championship is a Junior category championship for those who didn't participate in the actual Russian junior championships.
Thanks. But what is the age in the categories sport1 and sports2?
I know elder age nats competes with Junior content and programs but often skaters perform in both. Especially those who dont have the age for int juniors or performed poorly at junior Nats.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Kostyleva left Eteri last year, if you remember her mom was a bit "extra" when describing the reasons for her daughter’s departure. I don't know whether any of what she said was ever true, but she went on to insult poor Parsegova for no reason.
Damn it's a jungle out there with the Russian girls.

Behavior like that is not tolerable whether it's from the mother or the daughter.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Coaching. She opened her own FS school named Sotka School. Sotka means 100 in Russian.
There are posts here and there that she's forming the groups for training. Trying to raise champions by her own.
I did not know. thanks for the information. I wish Adelina was at cska because that's where they made her into a national champion and an Olympic champion. and it's not like she can't offer the young kids there some experiences on what it's like as, national champion at 12 years old on the senior level and then Olympic champion at 17 years old. I'm very surprised they did not give her her own team there at cska. I mean her own mini me Sofia Samo is so promising and reminds me a lot of Adelina.

But good luck to Adelina in her new career and at her training facility. I hope she has the financial backing she needs to do this.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Just wondering, what led to Alyona Kostornaia losing her 3A? Was it due to a lack of competition and practice during the time of peak COVID19? Some injuries? This cockroach of a pandemic just refuses to die, so it looks like it will play havoc with a lot of skaters.
All the things you mentioned along with puberty. And I think she's grown like 2 inches the last year put on a couple pounds and that can make a big difference and then you add inactivity for three months on top of it and that's a really bad combination.

By the way in someone's profile when it says final flight does that mean what I think it does?

Scott512

Record Breaker
What do you think it means?

I think it refers to the last group of skaters in a competition (IE - the "top 6")
I wasn't sure but I thought it meant banned from the board. As in final flight.

But I hope it means what you think.

Are you happy Alina is one of the captains for this team event?

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Thanks. But what is the age in the categories sport1 and sports2?
I know elder age nats competes with Junior content and programs but often skaters perform in both. Especially those who dont have the age for int juniors or performed poorly at junior Nats.
Generally, I'd say junior is 13+, sports 1 is 11-12, sports 2 is 9-10, then the "little girl 1-3" or whatever is 8, 7, 6.

But it depends on passing tests, and so several competitors are younger than that.

brakes

On the Ice
Generally, I'd say junior is 13+, sports 1 is 11-12, sports 2 is 9-10, then the "little girl 1-3" or whatever is 8, 7, 6.

But it depends on passing tests, and so several competitors are younger than that.
"Sports 1" is 11.x-13.x.
"Sports 2" is 0-11.x.
(x=number of a month competition takes place, so for Moscow Novice Championships in January, "Sports 1" category includes skaters 11y1m-13y1m old, for Russian Novice Championships in March: 11.3m-13y3m old).

For instance:
Silver medalist of 2016 Russian Novice Championships, Anna Tarusina was 13y1m old.
Gold medalist, Anna Shcherbakova was 11y11m old.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.