Are They Coming Back... | Golden Skate

Are They Coming Back...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I would like some help from all you skating fans as to which figure skaters do you think are coming back for Beijing?

I am wondering about Savchenko who seems driven and whose theme song is Never Enough from the Greatest Showman. Will Alina Zagitova try to regain erh olympic title - can she make the Russian team? Will Evgenia ever skate competitively again?

Is Carolina Kostner returning? Mirai Nagasu? To what success level? What about that Canadian phenom who has sort of disappeared Stephen Golgolov?

Will Daisuke Takhashi's come back as an ice dancer be successful? What about Gracie Gold? Gabrielle Daleman? Will Lubov return to pairs?

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Of all the names, I would place a small bet only on Savchenko's try.
As for Alina I'm starting to deal with that she could but don't want, Evgenia wants but can't.
Caronila - hardly.
Mirai - No.
Gogolev - he can, if he gains consistency. He's among the biggest young male's talents, but he messes like on 100% rate. If Rafael won't improve his stability, no one can, I think.
Gabby - well, considering the very little concurence among the canadian ladies currently she theoretically could, but she would require more psychological care than physical attention, I think.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Gracie Gold and Gabby Daleman are still competing AFAIK. Whether or not either make it to the Olympics, if that's what you mean, is up in the air. If Gabby gets it together consistently, of course, she has a better opportunity than does Gracie, at this point.

No to Savchenko. She had her moment with Massot in 2018. At this point, we do not even know if the Olympics will go ahead in 2022, but if it does, there's seriously not enough time for Savchenko to be prepared to return for competition. And to my knowledge, Massot is happy with his transition to coaching. I doubt he is interested in returning to competition, even if Savchenko is interested. Although her competitive heart will always beat and remain on fire, Savchenko's life has changed. I believe she is making amends with her transition away from competitive skating and onto a new chapter (particularly with the recent birth of her first child).

Daisuke Takahashi is already making a concerted effort to come back as an ice dancer. Whether or not he has a chance to make the Japanese Olympic team in that discipline we have yet to discover. Let's enjoy finding out.

No to Carolina Kostner returning to compete. No to Mirai Nagasu returning to compete. I don't think it is something that either lady is contemplating at this point, particularly not in view of all that is happening in the world and to the sport at this challenging time.

Stephen Gogolev is still young, and he definitely has an opportunity. If he's still training in Raf's camp, his chances are enhanced. I would love to see Lubov return. But after being sorely disappointed due to an unfortunate mishap that occurred to one partner, compounded by the devastating betrayal after she made sacrifices to try with another partner, means she was twice thwarted. Is she willing to try again? I wouldn't say it's out of the realm of possibility if an outstanding partner is available who can be solidly trusted. It's a difficult ask I think after the disappointment and betrayal she has endured.

Can we please forget about Alina Zagitova. She had and enjoyed the Olympics spotlight in 2018, and that should be enough. She was lucky to come back and win 2019 Worlds. That victory in part happened through hard work and her deep desire to overcome her shortcomings. It was also made possible due to ISU judges wishing to further validate her 2018 Olympics win.

Evgenia Medvedeva has the heart of a lion. Too much too soon. Too little too late. No.

Last edited:

Apple1078

Final Flight
Of all the names, I would place a small bet only on Savchenko's try.
As for Alina I'm starting to deal with that she could but don't want, Evgenia wants but can't.
Caronila - hardly.
Mirai - No.
Gogolev - he can, if he gains consistency. He's among the biggest young male's talents, but he messes like on 100% rate. If Rafael won't improve his stability, no one can, I think.
Gabby - well, considering the very little concurence among the canadian ladies currently she theoretically could, but she would require more psychologigal care than physical, I think.
How old is Gogolev? 16? I think he's still growing (he got so tall last year) so injuries might play a role. Once he stops growing, his consistency might come back.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
No to Savchenko. She had her moment with Massot in 2018. At this point, we do not even know if the Olympics will go ahead in 2022, but if it does, there's seriously not enough time for Savchenko to be prepared to return for competition. And to my knowledge, Massot is happy with his transition to coaching. I doubt he is interested in returning to competition, even if Savchenko is interested. Although her competitive heart will always beat and remain on fire, Savchenko's life has changed. I believe she is making amends with her transition away from competitive skating and onto a new chapter (particularly with the recent birth of her first child)
I'm not suggesting that they do intend to return, but Aljona has recently been posting several videos on her Instagram of her and Bruno practising triple throws, lifts and death spirals (after 3 days back on the ice together). Obviously, this is very different to trying those elements as part of a full program, but it's a start. Personally, I'm not sure it's a question of not having enough time to be prepared, but rather whether they would want to return or not.

macy

Record Breaker
I'm not suggesting that they do intend to return, but Aljona has recently been posting several videos on her Instagram of her and Bruno practising triple throws, lifts and death spirals (after 3 days back on the ice together). Obviously, this is very different to trying those elements as part of a full program, but it's a start. Personally, I'm not sure it's a question of not having enough time to be prepared, but rather whether they would want to return or not.
i'm 90% sure Aljona has said she would love to come back to competition on her instagram. whether or not it happens remains to be seen, but if anyone can come back after a baby, its her.

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I was really hoping for a comeback from (1) Patrick Chan (2) Javier Fernandez (3) Elladj Balde - but none of these look likely, sadly. 😭

I was racking my brains for possible partners for Aljiona Savchenko, if Bruno's not so keen.

- Fedor Klimov

That's as far as I got - any suggestions?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wait... people are wondering whether to write-off Gogolev?

This isn't the disposable cup event, where 17 is over the hill.

Is he even old enough to drive yet?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Aljona has said many times in interviews that if she comes back (and she also has said she would dearly like to), it will be with Bruno - no one else. Bruno has been less enthusiastic: he has back problems, he enjoys his role as a coach a lot, and Bruno really likes skating in shows - and practicing triple throws, death spirals and lifts could definitely also be useful as part of those. Even if there aren't any at the moment. Aljona herself has been coaching as well. I would love to see them back in competitive skating but I'm not expecting them to. But if they do, I'll cheer them on!

I would expect Stephan Gogolev to come back even stronger than before. Once his growth spurts are done, that is.

I would like to see Alina and Evgenia back, but for the reasons flanker pointed out, I don't expect either of them to be back at the international level. But if Evgenia manages it (Alina doesn't really want to I think), I would welcome her return warmly.

I would love to see both Carolina and Mirai, but I think both are now done with that part of their lives. I expect Carolina to continue skating in shows though - when shows come back.

I wish Lubov would return, but she has - as Blissful energy noted - been both disappointed and betrayed. With regard to Gaby I'm more hopeful than with regard to Gracie. I admire them both for not giving up!

And Daisuke? I certainly hope it will work out for him and Kana.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Did Sotnikova try? The ladies discipline is progressing so much that it would be futile. But I'm sure Evgenia will skate, if she's healthy..
Sotnikova did try, but rupturing your Achilles tendon does rather put a damper on these things.

The only one I would really want to "come back" of that list would be Savchenko/Massot, and probably Zagitova and Medvedeva just to shut up the idiots.

I'm pretty sure Lubov retired. Takahashi should do moderately well as an ice dancer, especially with the lack of competition. Gold and Daleman are still skating? As is Gogolev? So I'm not sure why they're in this list?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
What about that Canadian phenom who has sort of disappeared Stephen Golgolov?
What about Gracie Gold? Gabrielle Daleman?
These people are still competing, I’m not sure why you’ve lumped them in with a bunch of people who retired or are on ‘hiatus’.

Savchenko would be back if it was just up to her, but Massot seems done with competing.

kirauza343

On the Ice
If Evgenia’s healthy I think she’ll go for it. She almost definitely won’t make the team at this point but that won’t stop her from skating. I don’t see Alina coming back at all which is fine, she seems to be happy with what she’s doing.

I’d love for Savchenko to come back and I think she would but she’d need Massot as well which is less likely.

Gracie will keep skating but isn’t currently in the running for the Olympic team and most likely won’t be (especially if there are only two spots). Gabby’s in a similar boat I think, though I’m less clear on her current state

Stephen’s still young and has time to work things out. I don’t know if he’s got a good shot at Beijing (especially with the Canadians currently having just one spot, though that will change if Worlds happens and Canada attends) but he’s just beginning.

Daisuke could feasibly make it onto the Olympic team but with Japan only having one spot and there being a team that’s clearly ahead of them it’s not super likely. If he sticks around perhaps the next one is possible?

Mirai and Carolina ain’t coming back, not this late

Amei

Record Breaker
I would like some help from all you skating fans as to which figure skaters do you think are coming back for Beijing?

I am wondering about Savchenko who seems driven and whose theme song is Never Enough from the Greatest Showman. Will Alina Zagitova try to regain erh olympic title - can she make the Russian team? Will Evgenia ever skate competitively again?

Is Carolina Kostner returning? Mirai Nagasu? To what success level? What about that Canadian phenom who has sort of disappeared Stephen Golgolov?

Will Daisuke Takhashi's come back as an ice dancer be successful? What about Gracie Gold? Gabrielle Daleman? Will Lubov return to pairs?

I don't know follow pairs or ice dance enough to speculate on those. I will say for both Zagitova and Medvedeva, if they were in a country besides Russia or Japan they would likely be the runaway favorite for National champ and obviously the Olympics team
  • Zagitova: I doubt she even attempts it but if she did I doubt that she could miraculously not only regain her form from 2018-2019 season but also improve to make the Olympic team.
  • Medvedeva: Unless her back takes a turn for the worse I can see her coming back to competitive skating, but similar to Zagitova I don't see her being a real threat for the Olympic team
  • Kostner and Nagasu: I didn't even know there was chatter about them perhaps coming back. Kostner could if she wanted to now I don't think she would be competitive based on what we have season this season and last season from the ladies. Nagasu could, US ladies aren't exactly deep so she could make things interesting if she came back with that triple axel
  • Golgolov, based off Canadian nationals last year he's positioned to have a great opportunity Nguyen and Messing podiumed with multiple falls.
  • Takhashi: I hope so; how many times as a skater gone to the Olympics for multiple disciplines?
  • Gold: she's still competing if you mean competitive as in a shot to make the Olympics, I'm gonna put that at 0; she had nerve issues before her break from skating and that doesn't seem to have improved since she's come back and the last 2 years she's finished outside the top 10 at Nationals, she didn't perform well at the GP event or ISP challenge this year so even if by some chance she miraculously finished on the podium next at Nationals, body of work should kick her out of going to the Olympics
  • Daleman; Canadian ladies is hot mess and they actually lucked out that Worlds got cancelled last year because we were speculating on here that the 2 Canadian ladies might not even make the FS. So unless there has been a remarkable amount of improvement from the other ladies she just needs to land what she planned last year at Nationals.

Last edited:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I would be very surprised if Gogolev made the Olympic team for Beijing, but I think he'll be around and contending for the following Olympics, if all goes well.

For Japanese ice dance, I expect team Ko/Ko to go to Beijing. If there's a miracle and Japan wins two spots, then Takahashi (and Kana) has a good chance of getting the second one.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Takhashi: I hope so; how many times as a skater gone to the Olympics for multiple disciplines?
Off the top of my head, I can think of 2 (I'm sure there's probably others): Valentina Marchei and Miriam Ziegler. Both competed in ladies (Miriam at 2010 Olympics, Valentina at 2014 Olympics) and then in pairs (Miriam at 2014 & 2018 Olympics, Valentina at 2018 Olympics).

Personally, I can't see Muramoto/Takahashi making the 2022 Olympics, as Japan is likely to only have 1 Ice Dance spot which is likely to be Komatsubara/Koleto; but maybe 2026, if he intends to compete for that long?

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I think the one with the biggest chance for the Oly team is Takahashi with his partner. But in order to qualify, Komatsubara/Koleto would have to either be injured which noone wants, or mess up big time, or Kana/Daisuke would need to improve hugely in just one year. Or maybe they'll just be happy with participating in the Team Event?

I don't think Alina wants to compete anymore, and that's fine. She has the most important medals under her belt, and it seems she's quite happy with shows now.

It seems to be an impossible uphill battle for Evgenia, but if for some reason she heals and is pristine clean, while Liza, Trusova and Kostornaia struggle, there's a sliver of a chance. But then, I think Usacheva is going senior next season, and she's been very consistent, so who knows.

It's highly likely Gogolev will stabilize his jumps once he's done growing, but I don't think that will be next season yet. All of Nguyen, Sadovsky and Messing are much stronger than him at this point.

I bet that Mirai, Savchenko and Carolina are done with competing for good.

Fingers crossed for Gracie and Gabrielle, who are both brave in attempting a comeback despite having confidence issues. If a miracle happens for Gabrielle's self-confidence, she could make the team. Gracie faces a much tougher field, and I don't think she has much of a chance to be on the team, so I just hope she finds joy in competing again. She doesn't seem to have it unfortunately, so I could see her retiring instead.

The ones I have been wondering about are Weaver/Poje, has there been an official statement from them re. retirement? If they came back, I could see them challenging at least Marjorie/Zachary.

I hope Tursynbaeva comes back, BTW...

Znowflake

On the Ice
I think Alina is done and Evgenia will come back (or at least I hope!) but I think this depends on her coaching team and if they will invest in this... they have no shortage of up and coming stars without health issues. People can guess who will go and who will be on the podium in Russia but nobody knows what next year will hold w growth spurts, nerves, injuries etc..

Takahashi/Muramoto will do great barring any injuries (look how far they have come already!).
Weaver/Poje - Weaver left an interesting note on her insta one day so maybe just maybe they will come back?

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Medvedeva and Zagitova have essentially no hope of making the Russian team. Unfortunate, but that was their only shot. They just won't be able to make the Russian team anymore without having quads or 3A, even moreso after the next group of skaters enters seniors. I also agree that Alina has no desire to compete anymore. She won the Olympics, and afterwards she won the Worlds to prove that it wasn't a fluke. I don't think that she's had anything to skate for ever since. Medvedeva is surely motivated, but she just isn't going to be able to overcome the tech differences.

Overall, I'd be doubtful of all of those except Gogolev. I don't see why Gogolev couldn't return, but his issue is that his jump technique is horrible and so he can never skate clean in a competition.