Are They Coming Back... | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Are They Coming Back...

zounger

Medalist
As I said, luck is always involved in figure skating. I spoke about this earlier, so my views should be clear regarding 2018-2019 season for Alina. She had problems all season, so definitely yes she was lucky to win Worlds that year, something she failed to do after the 2018 Olympics

Part of the reason Alina won Worlds in 2019 is that she prepared and willed herself to be at her best for that competition. The judges were quite happy to reward her, which gave some additional credence to the Olympic favor they had bestowed on her the previous season. I think Alina's reputation as Olympic gold medalist helped her, particularly in the scoring (which I felt she got overly high PCS, and generally high scoring across the board in both sp and fp). The judges tended to ignore Alina's labored crossovers.

In that competition, there were others who skated well. Tursynbaeva had a great season and she was fortunate to win silver. There was possibly a bit of over-scoring in her case too, but she was landing the quad and she looked pretty good. Evgenia was fortunate to earn bronze, but she surely wanted more.

Luck and politics are always factors in figure skating scoring.

So her luck was that she was overscored? How much was she overscored to win worlds? 20 points?

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Maybe Takahashi won't make it to the Individual event at Beijing. But I think they might give M/T a try at the team event if they make the free. They basically only have one Pair, and they probably will want to send Kihira to both segments (again if they make the free), so that leaves men and dance with the switch.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So her luck was that she was overscored? How much was she overscored to win worlds? 20 points?
You already have your views, and you aren't interested in having a genuine conversation. It doesn't make much difference by how much I feel Alina was over-scored. She received more than enough points to win. She skated well and that's a credit to her after a poor general season. Still, in my opinion, she was over-scored, which may not have made too much difference with the placements, since everyone didn't skate well at 2019 Worlds.

In any case, you are just picking out comments and throwing lobs with your own preferred slant and simplistic interpretation, for whatever reason. Have a good evening.

zounger

Medalist
You already have your views, and you aren't interested in having a genuine conversation. It doesn't make much difference by how much I feel Alina was over-scored. She received more than enough points to win. She skated well and that's a credit to her after a poor general season. Still, in my opinion, she was over-scored, which may not have made too much difference with the placements, since everyone didn't skate well at 2019 Worlds.

In any case, you are just picking out comments and throwing lobs with your own preferred slant and simplistic interpretation, for whatever reason. Have a good evening.

Sorry but you said she was lucky and I just asked why. Apparently everyone has right to be lucky and there is politics and overscoring. As you mentioned everyone did poor and Zagitova did better and won. So where is the luckiness? Did she through a dice and depending on the result she landed her jumps, did she through dice and depending on the result did her spins? Did she through a dice and then did her step sequence?

If you are not ready to support the use of the word lucky in this context, then don't use it.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Maybe Takahashi won't make it to the Individual event at Beijing. But I think they might give M/T a try at the team event if they make the free. They basically only have one Pair, and they probably will want to send Kihira to both segments (again if they make the free), so that leaves men and dance with the switch.
I may be wrong, but I thought countries were only allowed to bring in an extra skater/team was if they'd qualified to 3 out of 4 individual disciplines and needed 1 more entrant for the team. (eg: Israel in 2018 were allowed to bring in Buchanan for the team event, even though she hadn't qualified to the individual because they had entrants in the other 3 events).
I'm guessing Japan will qualify competitors in all the events and will get 1 ice dance spot (presumably Komatsubara/Koleto) so they wouldn't be allowed to invite an extra ice dance team just for the team event?
So, I think the only way they could have Muramoto/Takahashi compete in the team event would be if they received 2 spots in the individual ice dance event, which is unlikely.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I may be wrong, but I thought countries were only allowed to bring in an extra skater/team was if they'd qualified to 3 out of 4 individual disciplines and needed 1 more entrant for the team. (eg: Israel in 2018 were allowed to bring in Buchanan for the team event, even though she hadn't qualified to the individual because they had entrants in the other 3 events).
I'm guessing Japan will qualify competitors in all the events and will get 1 ice dance spot (presumably Komatsubara/Koleto) so they wouldn't be allowed to invite an extra ice dance team just for the team event?
So, I think the only way they could have Muramoto/Takahashi compete in the team event would be if they received 2 spots in the individual ice dance event, which is unlikely.
You might be right. I'm not as familiar with the team event rules.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Is the team event before or after the main event? If its before they might want to allow Kihira to rest and prepare for main competition.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Is the team event before or after the main event? If its before they might want to allow Kihira to rest and prepare for main competition.
It's got to be before it? I think it's not the right thread for this. If they want the maximum points, they should send Kihira. If they simply cannot use a switch in Pairs and ID, then they will probably reserve it for Ladies and Men for the reason you mentioned (whether they should or shouldn't, it's a different issue).

kirauza343

On the Ice
It's got to be before it? I think it's not the right thread for this. If they want the maximum points, they should send Kihira. If they simply cannot use a switch in Pairs and ID, then they will probably reserve it for Ladies and Men for the reason you mentioned (whether they should or shouldn't, it's a different issue).
It would be smarter to rest Rika for the free IMO. She should absolutely skate the short since she has a real shot at placing first since she has a consistent triple axel and it’s unclear if the Russians will have a lady with her success rate. But for the free while she has the potential to win it second seems more likely, which is something Kaori or another Japanese lady can accomplish (since the only real competition for second in that event is the US, and if Alysa doesn’t have a solid triple axel/quad it’s just a matter of the Japanese lady skating cleaner).

Better to not tire Rika out for the singles event over what’s probably only one spot, a spot that likely won’t be significant enough to get them a bronze unless their Pair and Dance team overperform.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
aliona won't be on the podium if she comes back for beijing....sorry to say but its the reality
She might will her way to a medal. She is very strong, persistent and convincing. Other than China everyone else is kind of ho hum. Never count out Savchenko. That song Never Enough - not even all the stars are enough for Aliona She wants it all and if she wants it she will get it. She is determined.