2020-21 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Pairs' figure skating

hanca

Record Breaker
Has Finokhina/Antonyshev officially split up also?
They must have split up if Mukhametzianova really skates with Antonyshev. He can’t skate with two partners at the same time. Unless it is just a try out with Mukhametzianova? But even then Finokhina would be quite tolerant to let her partner have try outs while they are still together.

hanca

Record Breaker
It truly was sad. He did not cry for her, he cried with her. IT was painful to watch, knowing they have been together from the beginning and have been through so much. They had a nice chemistry. My personal guess is that it was not so much his decision, rather that of his family or coaches. It would seem like he has a brighter future but I wouldn't say it's all doom and gloom for Diana either. Could be a fresh start, and benefit from a taller boy.
I don’t have any insider knowledge of the relationship between Mukhametzianova and Mironov, but in the past Mukhametzianova was quite severely criticised in Russia for her figure, which was considered too big/too curvy for pairs. It would have been quite easy for Moser to ignore this while M/M had decent results, but when they started struggling, that would be a different matter. They were on the national team, so there were some expectations connected with this status, and this season they sadly did not deliver. I would imagine that there would have been a pressure from the skating federation and possibly from the Russian judges to deliver or to do some changes. Moser has shown us in the past how she gets rid of skaters she doesn’t think have any prospects (we saw what she did to Bazarova), so the fact that Mukhametzianova got a new partner (and not a completely useless one, he nearly qualified to the junior nationals, they were pretty close) - I think Mukhametzianova was quite lucky, considering all that. Mironov may take longer to find a partner because they will try their best to find the best they can find. How tall is Mironov? Khabibullina could do with someone taller...she and her partner don’t do too badly, but their height makes it quite hard for them.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
I don’t have any insider knowledge of the relationship between Mukhametzianova and Mironov, but in the past Mukhametzianova was quite severely criticised in Russia for her figure, which was considered too big/too curvy for pairs. It would have been quite easy for Moser to ignore this while M/M had decent results, but when they started struggling, that would be a different matter. They were on the national team, so there were some expectations connected with this status, and this season they sadly did not deliver. I would imagine that there would have been a pressure from the skating federation and possibly from the Russian judges to deliver or to do some changes. Moser has shown us in the past how she gets rid of skaters she doesn’t think have any prospects (we saw what she did to Bazarova), so the fact that Mukhametzianova got a new partner (and not a completely useless one, he nearly qualified to the junior nationals, they were pretty close) - I think Mukhametzianova was quite lucky, considering all that. Mironov may take longer to find a partner because they will try their best to find the best they can find. How tall is Mironov? Khabibullina could do with someone taller...she and her partner don’t do too badly, but their height makes it quite hard for them.
Mironov is 179-180. Not too tall, but not unmanageable. And shorter partners make good jumpers and spinners, and less awkward skating skills with more difficult pairs elements. Whatever they do must be quick, he only has one season left in juniors

I have seen Diana criticized for her figure, her weight, etc. it’s a shame, she’s clearly very strong snd though they seemed to struggle with her new body this season, I don’t think that’s something she can control. During puberty you gain weight out of nowhere and your body changes overnight. Kostiukovich has a similar figure, her parents are quite curvy and she manages with a taller and stronger partner, and being very very strong herself, though her jumps have suffered (more as a result of her technique I believe)

Mukhametzianova is from Kazan. Like Valieva, like Osokina. In pairs there are Kadyrova and Artemeva also from Kazan. I know Kadyrovas mom is a coach there, I wonder if she is responsible for some of the similar jumping style they share.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I don’t have any insider knowledge of the relationship between Mukhametzianova and Mironov, but in the past Mukhametzianova was quite severely criticised in Russia for her figure, which was considered too big/too curvy for pairs.

Who are the people criticizing? The coaching team? It's so silly to blame her figure, when someone as smol as Cong Han manages just fine with a curvy partner.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Growth issues aside, I think Mukhametzianova might actually have cleaner jump technique than Mironov. Noticed him flutzing couple of times on the SBS lutz. She turns less on the pick before takeoff and her edge is usually good. Doesn't help her consistency though...
Sorry to see them split, they had great chemistry together :(

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Full list of participants at the Cup Final: https://fsrussia.ru/files/docs/competitons/2021/cor2021_participants.pdf

So, as it seems that all the silver medalists from nationals got the spot (B/K in the case of pairs), there will be fight between M/G and P/K for the third spot.
But is it really a fight or are P/K there as backup in case someone get injured or implodes. The scoring at channel 1 cup implies the latter. Which is a shame cause P/K have the best lifts and have come a long way in terms of PCS this year. Unfortunately, things are very competitive.

SENIORS
1. Karina Akopova/Nikita Rakhmanin
2. Yasmina Kadyrova/Ivan Balchenko
3. Anastasia Mishina/Aleksandr Galliamov
4. Daria Pavliuchenko/Denis Khodykin
5. Apollinariia Panfilova/Dmitry Rylov :D
6. Alina Pepeleva/Roman Pleshkov

JUNIORS
1. Polina Kostiukovich/Alexei Briukhanov :D
2. Yulia Artemeva/Mikhail Nazarychev
3. Anastasia Mukhortova/Dmitri Evgeniev
4. Ekaterina Petushkova/Evgeni Malikov
5. Karina Safina/Sergei Bakhmat
5. Alina Raskovalova/Artem Butaev
7. Tatiana Kuzmina/Aleksey Khvalko (wouldn't it be better to split them up and get started with new partners....)
8. Alexandra Karugulina/Ilya Kalashnikov
9. Ekaterina Storublevtseva/Artem Gritsaenko
10. Milana Trubacheva/Vladislav Smirnov
11. Ekaterina Kobicheva/Zakhar Kazeev

Since they aren't really in contention for worlds, I would like to see Kadyrova/Balchenko attempt a side by side quad just for the heck of it. And I still have hope that a clean Panfilova/Rylov will wow the judges and audience to the third worlds ticket.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
But is it really a fight or are P/K there as backup in case someone get injured or implodes. The scoring at channel 1 cup implies the latter.
IMO P/K were underscored at Channel One Trophy. But the main thing is they won over M/G at Nationals, and the last year too. M/G are potentially higher scoring pair, but sometimes they have troubles to deliver at important competitions so both teams have still pretty solid chance.

Still, from the view of Russia as a country it is a blessing to have four such strong pairs, but from the view of the pairs themselves someone has always toss the short straw.

hanca

Record Breaker
Who are the people criticizing? The coaching team? It's so silly to blame her figure, when someone as smol as Cong Han manages just fine with a curvy partner.
Generally, people on a Russian skating forum. But the forum is also read by plenty of people who mean something within the Russian federation. Russian people are much more open to commenting on sportsmen/sportswomen’s figure. What would be completely rude or unacceptable in the Western world is quite culturally acceptable in Russia. When they think someone is too big for certain things, they are very blunt/say exactly what they think. It is just cultural differences. It can’t be very pleasant to be on the receiving end of it though!

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy

hanca

Record Breaker
I think everyone has their favourites. In the seniors the top four (Tarasova/Morozov, Boikova/Kozlovski, Mishina/Galliamov and Pavliuschenko/Khodykin) are untouchable at this moment. However, there is six spot on the national team and the remaining pairs are fighting for the last two spots. At this moment Kadyrova/Balchenko and Panfilova/Rylov are occupying the 5th and 6th spots, but a few bad competitions and their spot can easily be for a grab by another team. Look how last year Pepeleva/Pleshkov got on the team by doing well at the most important competition of the season- the Russian nationals. Now they are off the team, but one good competition could change that (if it is an important competition!) and the same is true about any other pair, for example Akopova/Rakhmanin (or any new senior pair) could take the 5th or 6th spots and push Panfilova/Rylov or Kadyrova/Balchenko off the team. To remain on the team, a Russian pair doesn’t need to be only ‘good’; they also need to be pretty consistent because they will need to prove themselves again and again!

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
In regard to juniors, even though there is quite a few good junior pairs, a decent team has a chance to get on the national team within one year of starting together. Obviously, if they both came from singles (and none of them did pairs before), their progress may be slower, but despite there being quite a few decent junior pairs, a great pair can push through. For example, Kostiukovich/Ialin are 4th at the nationals which means they will be at the national team the next season (in their first year together). Ok, they are both experienced pair skaters. But for example, Safina/Bakhmat cannot be considered as an experienced team. Safina is a pair skater with very low past results, and Bakhmat’s best results in the past (with a previous partner) was 8th place at the Russian nationals, 7th place at the Russian cup final and 8th place at the Russian B nationals (nationals of elder age, where the strongest pairs are not present any more because they have already qualified at the normal junior nationals). That’s not very impressive results for a Russian junior pair guy. So the pair is made from two ‘nobodies’ and yet Safina/Bakhmat were good enough to get on the team in their first season together.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
In For example, Kostiukovich/Ialin are 4th at the nationals which means they will be at the national team the next season (in their first year together). Ok, they are both experienced pair skaters.
Oh I miss them as well :( Especially Sarabande Suite and their pop lift.

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
Oh I miss them as well :( Especially Sarabande Suite and their pop lift.
That’s the sad part of being a fan of junior pairs. They can split up for any reason, or she can grow too tall for him, or have a hard puberty and lose all jumps... I have had so many favourites in the past and where they are now?

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Interesting profiles of well known skaters on icepartnersearch.

Stanislava Vislobokova: https://tulup.ru/partnerview3975.html
Ksenia Chistyakova: https://tulup.ru/partnerview3480.html
Anastasia Balabanova: https://tulup.ru/partnerview3972.html
Taisia Sobinina: https://tulup.ru/partnerview3968.html

Dmitri Ialin: https://tulup.ru/partnerview3967.html
Looks like Nikita Volodin, but is a year younger: https://tulup.ru/partnerview3949.html
Andrei Rud? (Once again a year too old and experienced): https://tulup.ru/partnerview3463.html
I wouldn't think too much of this one but the recent breakups in Mozer team make me wonder what kind of shifts are happening.

hanca

Record Breaker
From Russian junior pairs, Belova/Chigiriev split up. I wonder who is left in Dmitriev’s group.