2021 Worlds are still on | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds are still on

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexaa

Final Flight
Notwithstanding RusFed's power, the local organizers are answerable to the Swedish government if they don't enforce the rules; it's not something they can just ignore happening.
Yes, on top of that, the other big three feds, the US, Japan and Canada wouldn’t be OK with their skaters being exposed to potential risks of skaters of other countries not adhering to the rules in the bubble.

Speaking of the Challenge Cup, skaters were wearing masks during the award ceremony. They picked up their medals and flowers from 3 stands, did victory lap, and posed for pictures, 6 feet apart without audiences. I didn’t see Misha had any problems

Last edited by a moderator:

LadyB

Record Breaker
As I stated earlier: why wouldn't the Russian skaters, coaches and the whole team conform with the local rules in place? The Dutch skating Federation isn't bigger or more powerful than the Swedish one (in Speed Skating maybe, but definitely not in Figure Skating), and the Russians complied with the rules in place that were required at The Challenge Cup. That they might not do that at home, or perhaps the requirements are less strict at home, doesn't make me feel worried about their behaviour at an international event like Worlds at all. They will comply, if it's demanded of them. Just like everyone else. If only to maintain their spots (and they are bound to protect and perhaps extend (with the men) those). And if they don't, well there's enforcement for you. And I see no reason to think the Swedish will live and let live anyone who doesn't comply. Powerful federation or not.
👍

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Sorry, then, let me rephrase.

You seriously think tiny little Skate Sweden will have the guts and/or power to remove the large and powerful RuFed from the Olympic qualifier?
Yes because it’s not the Swedish Figure Skating Federation vs the Russian Federation, it’s the Russian Federation vs the Swedish Government.

I have no doubt the government will cancel it if it’s clear the rules aren’t being followed, last minute if need be.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
The ISU just confirmed that Worlds are still on and are still an Olympic qualifying event, as was previously planned. The World Team Trophy is also still planned assuming Japan lifts their state of emergency in time.

Other news includes cancellation of the 2021 ISU Congress and the allotment for spots at the 2021 Junior Grand Prix based on Junior Worlds 2020.
ISU Decision

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The ISU just confirmed that Worlds are still on and are still an Olympic qualifying event, as was previously planned.
That's all well and good but do they have a back-up plan in case Sweden is closed down by their government?

I have a feeling they don't and this could blow up in their faces, not to mention the skaters... :(

ruga

Final Flight
I heard somewhere that Budapest can be used as an alternate venue, but only if Sweden cancels some time before, not last minute and I don't think Hungary is doing much better right now.

Other legitimate option can be swapping WTT for Worlds if Japan agrees, as it's not nearly as important

ISU itself 99% won't cancel, it's only up to Swedish authorities.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Sorry, then, let me rephrase.

You seriously think tiny little Skate Sweden will have the guts and/or power to remove the large and powerful RuFed from the Olympic qualifier?
The Sweden government does. Their authority overides ISU in terms of health concerns in Sweden.

Thailand government had no qualms abt enforcing the rules in regards to Covid protocols. At an International badminton tournament in Thailand.
If the authorities wanted, they have could shut down the whole tournament once a player tested positive.

Amei

Record Breaker
There’s no viable backup in a case like this. Moving the event to another location on a few weeks’ notice wouldn’t be possible. Either it happens or it doesn’t.
Didn't they have to do that for moving worlds from Japan to Moscow after the tsunamis or earthquake?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Didn't they have to do that for moving worlds from Japan to Moscow after the tsunamis or earthquake?
They delayed the event by a month to move it to Moscow (which also required some extraordinary assistance from the Russian government with visas, etc.). I was talking about moving the event to the original schedule.

Given all the extra pandemic measures I’m not sure such a move would be possible on a similar timeframe either, but hoped we don’t have to find out.

mrrice

Record Breaker
ISU should cancel the event..........
With sadness, I agree. It's been a rough year but, I think the skaters are probably resigned to how things are going. Personally, I'd be afaid to travel under the current circumstances. The Olympics are around the corner and the skaters need to make sure they're healthy when they roll around.

My only worry is for a country like Canada who is looking to get a second spot for their Men. If worlds are cancelled, how will the commitee handle that situation?

Country
Norway
I´m really concerned now because for the first time since the pandemic started, one of the hospitals in Norway has a full ICU, they already started to cancel planned operations, and they are starting to transfer patients to other nearby hospitals. This is particular scary because the total number in hospitals are (until further) lower than before, and yet the ICU wasn´t full then. It means that more of the patients needs ICU because of the mutation, which they have experienced in other countries as well. The scariest thing is that the numbers are still rising so we havn´t peaked yet.

With the rise of mutation in Sweden as well, i´m really worried for the health care system there. Because of Swedens experimental strategy last spring, i´m afraid the health system is more fragile in Stockholm, the health workers must be really tired and there are probably less of them because of long covid and stress.

With the rise of ICU patients in more countries, it will be more difficult for the countries to help each other.

Stockholm also has the lowest vaccination rate of all regions in Sweden now.

With the recent development, i´m think the safest thing would be to cancel.

It´s both a great risk for the residents in Stockholm who needs to get the numbers down and for the skaters and team who are exposed for the virus and if they need to go to the hospital. When ICU is full, they start cancelling operations. Hospitals in Sweden have earlier been postponing operations on children with urgent bones fractures. With figure skating being a high risk sport for bone fractures, I fear that in a worst case scenario, skaters have to fly home with painful bone fractures to be operated at home.

Last edited:

NaVi

Medalist
Starting to think it might be best to give spots for the Olympics(and perhaps worlds) based off of a countries ISU rankings of their skaters than on previous Worlds performance. They already kind of do that for the team event and world team trophy.

Big Deal

Final Flight
Anybody knows what happened to Papadakis-Cizeron not being entered? I am sure that I lost some important announcement....

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Here are some interesting articles from Yale about why indoor ice rinks are inherently a higher risk:

So Sweden's numbers are rising, ice rinks are inherently riskier, the coaching/officials group is generally in the higher-risk groups, getting the 'rona can shorten or end an athletic career, we've got proof over and over that one of the largest contingents can't be trusted to follow protocols, and...

...people are still calling those who want it to be cancelled fearful whingers.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
ISU confirms the Speed Skating Bubble at Heerenveen had no positive COVID-19 cases throughout the entire event, even after travelling home.
Source
That's good news!

Is it the exact same bubble conditions as the World's will have? With only a few days between arriving and the event starting? That's my biggest concern, because without actual quarantine (2 weeks), the situation is still super delicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.