2020-21 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Pairs' figure skating

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
I really hope P/K don’t split! They have improved soooooo much this season and i’m sure they have potential to become even better. Personally I prefer them over M/G and T/M though I realize they aren’t nearly as strong in TES and PCS. But after being repeatedly told via scores and placements that they are n. 4, I can sort of understand it. But still, I really hope they don’t split, they have some of the most interesting lifts, fantastic throws (3lo especially when she does it well, a beautiful and big twist and two stunning programs this season. And if they can build consistency, then if T/M or B/K get more inconsistent next season, maybe they have a chance!

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I'm hearing rumors that P/K split and Mozer is looking for a new partner for Daria??? Does anyone have more on this, or whether its true/false? I can't for the life of me think why this would be a good idea unless khodykin recently acquired a career-ending injury or some other health issue.
I’ve heard the same rumors flying around from some russians ... jeez, I hope it’s not true.
If one of them is panicking that they’re not making Olympics 22, changing partners is definitely not the going to get them there.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Okay, we can calm down.
They didn’t split, Dasha got sick with mononucleosis. She will need 2-3 months to fully recover, after that they will start preparing for the next season.
I believe the reason rumors started is because people saw that Denis was training alone, Dasha isn’t currently training, she is receiving treatment for her disease and staying at home.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Much better. I don’t think she or he will find a better partner for themselves at the moment. They both have some jumping elements none others have. Maybe it could be the time to branch out and find more coaches to work with, because changing everything now would be a mistake. And also, being fourth still gives you plenty of chance to compete—Astakhova and Rogonov went to the Olympics in 2018. We never know what will happen in a year.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Okay, we can calm down.
They didn’t split, Dasha got sick with mononucleosis. She will need 2-3 months to fully recover, after that they will start preparing for the next season.
I believe the reason rumors started is because people saw that Denis was training alone, Dasha isn’t currently training, she is receiving treatment for her disease and staying at home.
Oh jeez, thank goodness; I thought that was a crazy sounding rumor. Speedy recovery to Daria.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree. Poor Sasha.
Of course her reaction wasn't ideal, but in the heat of the moment she'd just experienced a huge disappointment and knew that she'd made a mistake in the program, so obviously she was very upset.
I really hope people don't turn on her for this.
I thought of Nancy Kerrigan, and how her annoyed reaction while waiting for the medal ceremony at Lillehammer is still a reason, after 27 years, for people to say how much they can't stand her. Also, I read parts of Peggy Fleming's memoir a couple of weeks ago, and she brought it up in no uncertain terms. Nancy, up to then, had been a very gracious competitor, and she'd just survived the most harrowing few weeks of her life as a skater, and triumphed in two fabulous performances. But then she acted totally without grace (said Peggy), and forgot that part of her training -- to call on her better nature in such a trying moment.

Also, check out what Elena Bechke said about it in the TSL video. It's a wonderful listen (Dave and Jonathan hardly get a question in edgewise!); I'd say about half the time she's talking about Tamara. She tells fascinating stories in such a charming way, and goes into the emotions of competing at such a high level and how she and her coaches dealt with her own difficulties.

To go back to Boikova, I remembered all the times this year in the Russian competitions when she made mistakes and was being comforted by Kozlovskii, but she seemed inconsolable and so hard on herself. The mistakes were similarly hers in the FS last Thursday, but she took an entirely different tack in responding. I re-watched her reactions (when I was re-watching the entire final 4 group), and Dmitry looked startled when she spoke to Tamara that way. Then, she sort of yanked the lanyards from around Minchuk's neck and chucked Dmitry's at him. None of them deserved such a display of hostility, imho.

Last edited:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

Guys, stop everything and go watch this. It's TSL, I know, but it's a brilliant recap of the pairs competition and insane stories about Moskvina. I loved it.
I've just came through the whole video and I must say that was super duper amazing and I'm instantly moving Elena among the best people involved in figure skating. Bright, direct thoughts, perfect ability to express herself right, learning from her own experience and being able to judge things and people based on that. I would underline everything she said.

Decoder

On the Ice
Also, check out what Elena Bechke said about it in the TSL video. It's a wonderful listen (Dave and Jonathan hardly get a question in edgewise!); I'd say about half the time she's talking about Tamara. She tells fascinating stories in such a charming way, and goes into the emotions of competing at such a high level and how she and her coaches dealt with her own difficulties.
Haha, I rarely watch TSL after several first tries a while ago, but yesterday I tried again and saw this lovely lady Elena. She took over the whole session!

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Much better. I don’t think she or he will find a better partner for themselves at the moment. They both have some jumping elements none others have. Maybe it could be the time to branch out and find more coaches to work with, because changing everything now would be a mistake. And also, being fourth still gives you plenty of chance to compete—Astakhova and Rogonov went to the Olympics in 2018. We never know what will happen in a year.
Remember the days when a pair that was out of the top 10 in the world could make the Russian team? Oh how things have changed. I believe that barring disaster, the top 8 teams from this year's RusNat could all make the top 10 in the world safely, if they were given a chance. P/K do have a chance, but the message from the fed is clear: once P/R get their triples (or Kadyrova and Artemeva can land throws) you are out.

It's insane. A team with such not only stable, but QUALITY elements like P/K can't even go to worlds!

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Well Moskvina was classy, but Vasili Velikov certainly was not, with that little dig. I guess Velikovs are sort of like the Panova of pairs.

LadyB

Record Breaker
They went because the IOC effed up Ksenia Stolbova, not exactly merit that took them to Olympia, just having an advantage out of other people's treatment (as Rogonov would be the first to admit). In P/K's case, they would deserve it as they can achieve great things. Them being a true and deserving number three is a hundred times more likely than it ever was for A/R (and I well and truly value Alexey Rogonov very highly).

Last edited:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
They went because the IOC effed up Ksenia Stolbova, not exactly merit that took them to Olympia, just having an advantage out of other people's treatment (as Rogonov would be the first to admit). In P/K's case, they would deserve it as they can achieve great things. Them being a true and deserving number three is a hundred times more likely than it ever was for A/R (and I well and truly value Alexey Rogonov very highly).
And yet, A/R went to the Olympics, and by the way things are going, P/K are staying home.

I never said S/K were undeserving of going, or that P/K are undeserving in any way. It's just that we can never know what circumstances may affect skaters. Injuries and illness are also things that come to mind, and before you know it, a chance might land on your feet. Hopefully the IOC won't ruin skaters' chances of competing at the Olympics, but A/R were also on the run for the third spot, and I'm not sure they were any far from third as P/K are now. Especially considering who is the third pair at the moment.

LadyB

Record Breaker
And yet, A/R went to the Olympics, and by the way things are going, P/K are staying home.

I never said S/K were undeserving of going, or that P/K are undeserving in any way. It's just that we can never know what circumstances may affect skaters. Injuries and illness are also things that come to mind, and before you know it, a chance might land on your feet. Hopefully the IOC won't ruin skaters' chances of competing at the Olympics, but A/R were also on the run for the third spot, and I'm not sure they were any far from third as P/K are now. Especially considering who is the third pair at the moment.
Fair point, just would like to add: S/K were clearly the number two in the country at the time, it's safe to say that them going to the Olympics was a given and never questioned by anyone. I never suggested you meant they were undeserving (which would make no sense for the aforementioned reason), I only said they didn't get there thanks to the IOC's determination of throwing a spanner in the works for Team Russia, instead of 'actual events', i.e. falling behind A/R in performance or getting injured..
As for Z/E, I believe they were clearer ahead of A/R than any current pair is of P/K. Anyway, the latter might be a victim of the rule of three, but we don't know how everybody skates next year. Russian pairs just remain the most exciting competition. :love2:

Last edited:

SKY1118

Rinkside
Country
Olympic
next year would be very interesting for RUS pairs, unlike the last Olympic cycle which top 3 were so clear (T/M S/K and Z/E), there are 4 top teams could have been compete for the 3 spots.
And even now, it is not sure clear that which team is the 1st team when compared with last cycle, unlike T/M 4 years ago.
B/K were great since last season, but they unfortunately did miss the best chance to seal their name as the 1st rus pair team in WC. Sounds safe to say B/K is currently the leading team in Ruspair at this point, at least ranking-wise is, but they really need to focus on their own.
M/G is now the reigning World champ and being pretty consistent throughout the whole season (only missed the podium in rusnat... 2nd time in a row), even they are relatively new to senior, they could have a shot for the 1st Ruspair team as well (please, perform well in National!)
T/M was great in National, which I was so happy for them, but their SBS jumps are very problematic. Adding Sergei in their team is a good move, but I think it is more mentally related as Elena said in TSL... which I love Zhenya, she seems to be a sweetheart
P/K does have a chance as well, like, rusfed will be reviewing the performance of all teams, which P/K does have way better SBS jumps than T/M (they have SBS 3F like omg). So the key, as always, would be consistency. But they do have a good chance as well.

And of course the wildest dream would be P/R nailing SBS triples and smash them on our face!