Nathan Chen | Page 985 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

shine

Record Breaker
Right there goes my heart. No matter how many time I have watched ISP1, I don’t know where my heart goes or where my mind is when he moves his hands. It is feeling I could never describe. This part is still there at nationals, it wasn’t performed with the same amount of emotion as in the ISP1. The camera angle was also much better in ISP1 than at SkAm and nationals.
Yeah, the same moves were there but they weren’t done at the same points of the music as ISP1 and lost much of the intention that the original phrasing had IMO.

Gilligan

On the Ice
Very grateful to all of you who posted in detail and with in depth knowledge about the moments in Nathan's FS that were moving or especially beautiful and poetic. LutzDance's video on youtube was especially helpful. I feel like I now have a set of Sparknotes to help me get more out of great literature... for my rewatch.

Different strokes for different folks :)
What I also love about ISP1 is the way he totally surrenders himself to the music and the suppleness of his body language shows a sense of vulnerability that we don’t often see from him. He doesn’t do this often but when he does he uses his neck and head in a way where the movement just oozes out from his core in a completely organic way. I don’t know if some may find that to be with less intention, but I personally find it very poetic and reminds me of when Nathan did the runthrough of MLD at Cup of Russia back in 2017 - full of poetic vulnerability and so unlike the usual him we are used to, and so unlike any skater I’ve seen. [...].

When you described this, I immediately recalled that quality from the 2017 CoR runthrough of MLD. I still do not see it in ISP1, but I'll keep rewatching to see if it pops out at me at some point. :)

So true that each version of the FS gave us something different to appreciate, though we lose some moments as well. I guess that makes me look forward to WTT, despite these circumstances. All in all, it's amazing we got to see this program evolve along with Nathan's command of its technical and artistic demands over the season. I wasn't sure, considering he aims for 4, 5 quads in the FS, whether he would ever have a free program this clean, much less skated with such ease and freedom. I'm already thrilled that he got to experience this at Worlds.
🤞Fingers crossed for this coming season.

Hronop

On the Ice
Being 'that Russian fan of Shoma Uno' that I am, I just wanted to say 'thank you' for your interest in my article. I am glad a few people found my discussion useful.
And wow, I really enjoyed reading your own discussion of Nathan's program here -- so many beautiful and nuanced observations! In a way, now I regret that I did not do any 'comparative research' :biggrin:, i.e. did not incorporate the earlier versions of Nathan's program into my discussion. On the other hand, it would not be easy to accomplish with the kind of structure that I had in mind.
Anyway, thanks again for reading my analysis! Cheers from Shomaland! :ghug:

LutzDance

On the Ice
In a way, now I regret that I did not do any 'comparative research' :biggrin:, i.e. did not incorporate the earlier versions of Nathan's program into my discussion. On the other hand, it would not be easy to accomplish with the kind of structure that I had in mind.
You know, you can aways write a Metamorphosis No.2, this time of the program’s evolution throughout the season :wink: JK, really appreciate what you brought to Nathan fans with that analysis :clap:

Gilligan

On the Ice
Being 'that Russian fan of Shoma Uno' that I am, I just wanted to say 'thank you' for your interest in my article. I am glad a few people found my discussion useful.
And wow, I really enjoyed reading your own discussion of Nathan's program here -- so many beautiful and nuanced observations! In a way, now I regret that I did not do any 'comparative research' :biggrin:, i.e. did not incorporate the earlier versions of Nathan's program into my discussion. On the other hand, it would not be easy to accomplish with the kind of structure that I had in mind.
Anyway, thanks again for reading my analysis! Cheers from Shomaland! :ghug:

Thank you for writing that--for your expertise, for taking the time to think in depth about the program and the music, for providing clips that illustrate the points you’re making, for being eloquent and insightful about Nathan’s skating and Philip Glass music... Truly, you did Nathan fans worldwide a huge favor. Such a wonderful and educational read. I saw at least one fan putting out a call for translation into Japanese, and I think there is also a translation into Chinese in progress.

So kind of you to appreciate the comments from the Nathan experts in this thread, too! (i frequently get corrected by them... :laugh:)

Gilligan

On the Ice
Small mention of Nathan in interesting article from Claire Cloutier, interviewing Olga Ganicheva. She and her husband Alexei Letov are High Performance Directors at the Skating Club of Boston’s new three-rink facility in Norwood, Massachusetts.

Q: The World Championships recently took place in Sweden. Were you able to watch any of it?

Ganicheva: Everyone on the ice [at the rink], whenever there was an American or Russian or Japanese skater, everybody stopped. Everybody opened computers or phones. And everybody is watching, and screaming! [Laughs] It was a really nice atmosphere in the rink–everybody cheering. There were like twenty skaters on the ice after my company class, and we were watching Nathan Chen. You should have heard the screaming!

Joe Mendoza

Virtuously Shady Diva
Final Flight
Anyone attending 2022 US Nationals in Nashville?

Tickets will be available on Monday, April 19 at noon ET.

(If you are a Friend of Figure Skating, tickets are available April 12.)

I am thinking about it - I booked all session tickets during the US Championships in LV, and attended the practice sessions, but felt awkward because I realized most people went with somebody and I went there all by myself.

LutzDance

On the Ice

LutzDance

On the Ice
FS: 4F 3A2T 3Lz 4S 4T1Eu3F 4T3T 3A
I want to make a poll called “Will Nathan land both of his 3As in the WTT free skate this time” but I don’t want to tempt fate :laugh:

This plan seems pretty ad-hoc for WTT. In terms of long term strategy, there’s no point in trying a five-quad and double 3A layout unless he gets a 3A+3T combo. He loses more point from downgrading one of the combos from -3T to -2T than he gains from upgrading the 3Lz to the 3A. (He could also switch the 3A2T to the 3Lo3T here for a 0.2 point drop in BV and a more significant drop in my stress level :drama:)

Yay to no 4Lz and one 3Lz :clap:

Last edited: