2021-22 Russian Pairs' Figure Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Russian Pairs' Figure Skating

happycamper2554

On the Ice
I know that they do not have many isu points, but by the virtue of merit and nationals, they should be given 2, yes?

But that is also to the point that I don't think this year's GP is going to look like last year.
GP is only based on the international seasons best list and world rankings. Unless Russia wants to try and make a deal for them the best they can hope for is a host spot. This isnt based on merit.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
GP is only based on the international seasons best list and world rankings. Unless Russia wants to try and make a deal for them the best they can hope for is a host spot. This isnt based on merit.
I know that plays the majority of the role, but there is something to be done here. How did Guliakova, with only a JGP from a few seasons ago as her international experience, end up with a GP spot last year?

Amei

Record Breaker
I know that plays the majority of the role, but there is something to be done here. How did Guliakova, with only a JGP from a few seasons ago as her international experience, end up with a GP spot last year?

Grand prix events in 2020-2021 season were restricted due to covid, they were pretty much domestic competitions so a lot of skaters got to go to a grand prix event when they normally wouldn't.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I'm not sure there's much to be done about Kadyrova/Balchenko. Neither do I think there's a need to going as far as getting them two spots this season. For the russian pairs, it's a top 4 game this time. But of course, there's not that many pairs to award a double spot in the GPs considering splits and injuries.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
The following pairs will surely receive two spots:
Mishina/Galliamov
Boikova/Kozlovskii
Tarasova/Morozov
Pavliuchenko/Khodykin
Panfilova/Rylov

The others who might also get two, are:
Artemeva/Nazarychev (but I bet they will stay in juniors this season)
Akhanteva/Kolesov
Pepeleva/Pleshkov
Kadyrova/Balchenko

TeamGubanova

On the Ice
Mishina/Galliamov
Boikova/Kozlovskii
Tarasova/Morozov
Pavliuchenko/Khodykin
Panfilova/Rylov

Akhanteva/Kolesov
Pepeleva/Pleshkov
Kadyrova/Balchenko
Why would Artemeva/Nazarychev stay in Juniors, since they won the Junior Nationals. Also, Kadyrova/Balchenko can't get any spot other than the Host Spot

hanca

Record Breaker
Why would Artemeva/Nazarychev stay in Juniors, since they won the Junior Nationals. Also, Kadyrova/Balchenko can't get any spot other than the Host Spot
Because they may not be quite ready for seniors. At the end of the season it appeared that Artemeva’s body started changing, connected with puberty. If they move to seniors when they are not ready, their placing at GP events will be low and the following year they may not have high enough ranking and season best to get compete in senior events internationally. So all they would get is B events. Whereas if they stay in juniors, it would be enough to get on podium at junior worlds and the following year they may be ready and their position in seniors would be stronger.

hanca

Record Breaker
Mishina/Galliamov
Boikova/Kozlovskii
Tarasova/Morozov
Pavliuchenko/Khodykin
Panfilova/Rylov

Akhanteva/Kolesov
Pepeleva/Pleshkov
Kadyrova/Balchenko
I can’t see why Pepeleva/Pleshkov would deserve two events. Nothing against them personally, but their skating wasn’t that great.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
It is interesting because Sliusarenko's group seems to be quite strong. BUt yes, Tamara's group is renowned and is experiencing ascension to the stars again.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Here is the short article on sports.ru:

Interesting that in the discussion someone mentions that Sliusarenko is to move his school from Perm to Moscow but so far there are problems with gaining the ice rink.

hanca

Record Breaker
Interesting that in the discussion someone mentions that Sliusarenko is to move his school from Perm to Moscow but so far there are problems with gaining the ice rink.
A few years ago Perm school was cooperating with Moskvina’s school. Some pairs (Poluyanova/Sopot and some others that I can’t remember) were supposed to be coached jointly by Perm and St Petersburg, I am not sure how it was supposed to work geographically (one clearly can’t be at both places at the same time) but it was meant to be a way how skaters could benefit from the pair technical expertise from Perm as well as improving PCS and jumps in St Petersburg. A year or two later, the project gradually died off. Not sure what exactly happened, but something wasn’t working as imagined because there were no significant improvements coming from this cooperation. None of the pairs involved had any breakthrough.

It seems to me that this planned cooperation with Moscow is just another similar project. I don’t believe anyone actually plans to move the whole Perm school to Moscow. I think it is about exchanging experience, but the outcome is very uncertain. I guess one needs to try it to know whether it will work. On paper it sounds great; Perm skaters could all benefit from improving jumps with Tutberidze. The only problem is, Tutberidze doesn’t have any miraculous power to make Perm skaters better jumpers. Her own skaters get the jumps by spending hours and hours on jumps, because in singles jumps are the majority of the elements. Pair skaters can’t afford to spend as much time on jumps because the jumps are only 1 out of 7 elements in the SP and 2 out of 11 elements in the FS. That’s the reason why single skaters who move to pairs, their jumps sometimes deteriorate, because they don’t have as much time to spend on jumping as they did as single skaters.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Moskvina about Kadyrova/Balchenko transfer:

“The decision to join us was the initiative of the couple themselves. They approached me in Moscow when I was at a training camp for staging programs. Her prospects for next year? I can not say anything. They come to work with us, and take places at competitions. If they work well and skate, they will take their place. What - I don't know, others don't sleep either, everyone works. The couple asked me, they will work, we will work too.”

BTW, Yasmina went through all the current most sophisticated russian teams: Mishin, Tutberidze, Moskvina :biggrin:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Let's just say that, Moskvina might have just sealed the deal to dominate pairs in the next quad. Also, the competition inside that rink will be insane.

hanca

Record Breaker
BTW, Yasmina went through all the current most sophisticated russian teams: Mishin, Tutberidze, Moskvina :biggrin:
She is still missing Moser in her collection. I know recently Moskvina had much better results, but Moser had better recent results at the Olympics - in 2014 she had V/T 1st and S/K 2nd. In 2018 she had T/M 4th and Z/E 7th. The last time Moskvina had a pair at the olympics was in 2010 - Kavaguti/Smirnov placed 4th. Since then she had no one.

Last edited: