2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The 2021 Autumn Classic will be held at Sportplexe Pierrefonds:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jeremy had a wonderful post, where he said that he had although his identity may not have been a secret, he had never identified as gay on social media.

It is not because I am ashamed of my identity. I love who I am. But it is because I have never been able to say those exact words to the 2 most important people in my life, my own parents.

My only wish is that I had done this sooner.
I know it is too late to be the #outandproud athlete I have always wanted to be for you but I know it’s not too late to contribute to the positive change & representation needed for the next generation of LGBTQ+ athletes.

Bravo Jeremy!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Jeremy had a wonderful post, where he said that he had although his identity may not have been a secret, he had never identified as gay on social media.

It is not because I am ashamed of my identity. I love who I am. But it is because I have never been able to say those exact words to the 2 most important people in my life, my own parents.

My only wish is that I had done this sooner.
I know it is too late to be the #outandproud athlete I have always wanted to be for you but I know it’s not too late to contribute to the positive change & representation needed for the next generation of LGBTQ+ athletes.

Bravo Jeremy!
The thing is simply that many men who are living in bigger Canadian cities feel safe enough to go on with their lives without making big official statements. With the recent movement, maybe some realize that it's still important to open up, to be a role model. I have never formally made a coming out. My family, friends, coworkers, everyone who cares about me knows.

Homosexuality is part of me, just like the colour of my hair or the tone of my voice. It's not the main/only thing that defines me. I just go on and live my life. And doing so, I have met many people who are public figures, athletes or artists who were exactly doing that too... living their gay life and not making public statements about their sexuality. I think that we are at another phase of acceptation now. There was a long period of difficult times, and thanks to some activists, my generation of homosexuals (in bigger cities in Canada and some parts of the world in general) was able to live a pretty "normal" life. ... but now, with the social movements in place, for equity, for diversity, for inclusion etc, it seems that there is another sort of wave... and I wouldn't be surprised if many more athletes came out at this point... many like Jeremy who are retired, who may join their voice to this movement... I think his text his clear about that... never was a secret but now joining the movement...

Last edited:

Seven Sisters

Medalist
The thing is simply that many men who are living in bigger Canadian cities feel safe enough to go on with their lives without making big official statements. With the recent movement, maybe some realize that it's still important to open up, to be a role model. I have never formally made a coming out. My family, friends, coworkers, everyone who cares about me knows.

Homosexuality is part of me, just like the colour of my hair or the tone of my voice. It's not the main/only thing that defines me. I just go on and live my life. And doing so, I have met many people who are public figures, athletes or artists who were exactly doing that too... living their gay life and not making public statements about their sexuality. I think that we are at another phase of acceptation now. There was a long period of difficult times, and thanks to some activists, my generation of homosexuals (in bigger cities in Canada and some parts of the world in general) was able to live a pretty "normal" life. ... but now, with the social movements in place, for equity, for diversity, for inclusion etc, it seems that there is another sort of wave... and I wouldn't be surprised if many more athletes came out at this point... many like Jeremy who are retired, who may join their voice to this movement... I think his text his clear about that... never was a secret but now joining the movement...
I always enjoy your posts here, 4everchan, but this is probably my favorite of all the things you have written. So simple, so heartfelt. Bravo!

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
This was mentioned over in the Korean skating thread, but based on the entry list for championnats it's possible that Lim/Quan are going to be skating for South Korea going forward. Obviously from a nationalistic perspective it'd be sad to see them go, but it'd probably be a good move for them in terms of opportunities. The junior/emerging senior dance scene has so many teams.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
This will probably not surprise many people, but JGP Canada has been cancelled due to the uncertainty around travel. We'll see if the ISU can reschedule somewhere else, or if there'll just be one less JGP this year (honestly, given everything, they could probably get by without it).

EDIT: Nope, rescheduled to also take place in France; that's smart.

Last edited:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
As for Gogolev, he's been spotted in the background of some videos from Raf's rink. Brezina mentioned that he, Gogolev, Chen and Bell were training isolated with Raf during the lockdowns. However, there really hasn't been anything showing Gogolev's progress and he doesn't post about skating to his social media so who knows, maybe things aren't going well or he just wants to keep it secret?
I don't think Raf's skaters really have the habit of posting training updates, especially compared to many Russian coaching groups. Nathan (and Yuzuru for that matter) don't share news about their skating and they do just fine.

I think we could be pleasantly surprised by Stephen :) Also possibly by Andrew Torgashev, another skater who's been keeping a low profile after moving to Raf...

Weathergal

Medalist
I don't think Raf's skaters really have the habit of posting training updates, especially compared to many Russian coaching groups. Nathan (and Yuzuru for that matter) don't share news about their skating and they do just fine.

I think we could be pleasantly surprised by Stephen :) Also possibly by Andrew Torgashev, another skater who's been keeping a low profile after moving to Raf...
Torgashev is the one I really wonder about since, as far as I know, he still hasn't been added to the international selection pool. Has that changed?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Phil Hersch awarded them the OGM on Twitter today.

Although Phil did backtrack (somewhat) in the next tweet:

I don’t reply directly to anonymous posters so I simply say to all of you: chill. I know how great Sui and Han are. I know how good Boikova and Kozlovskii are. I just see enormous upside for James and Radford, even from brief clips they have posted. Let’s have some fun with it.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Canadian skaters with Grand Prix assignments:

Skate America
Nam
Evelyn & Trennt
Carolane & Shane
Laurence & Nikolaj

Skate Canada International
Keegan
Roman
TBD
Emily
Madeline
Alison
Vanessa & Eric
Lori-Ann & Thierry
KMT & Michael
Piper & Paul
Marjorie & Zach
Haley & Nikolas

Cup of China
Carolane & Shane (it will be lonely on the team bus, I guess)

NHK Trophy
Nam
Evelyn & Trennt
Marjorie & Zach

Internationaux de France
Keegan
Vanessa & Eric (awkward?)
Piper & Paul

Rostelecom Cup
Roman
Madeline
KMT & Michael
Laurence & Nikolaj

Only one TBD at SCI, for one lucky Canadian man. Probably between the young guys at the TCC. I was thinking they might leave a TBD In the ladies, but I guess not.