Grand Prix Assignments 2021-22 Announced | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Assignments 2021-22 Announced

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
The host makes the choice from the replacement list. If there were a vacancy at SA, there's no guarantee Mozalev or Gumennik would be picked to fill the spot. 17 spots have already been filled by Russian men, more than any other fed (13 for JPN, 12 for US).
Of course. But hope springs eternal 🙌

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, there is no guarantee. The host can pick anyone of the top 10 from the list (I think?). But if the host federation is fair they would pick the one highest on the replacement list.

I'm not sure I agree that it is "fair" to go down the list.

The host feds put time money and effort into hosting the GP. In return, they get to pick a "hometown hero" to boost sales at home. I have no problem with the US, Canada, Russia, Japan or other countries doing this, even if they skip someone higher on the list.

Particularly as men have traditionally been a stronghold for the US, I would be shocked if the TBA is other than an American man. And if they are going to give it up, it should be for a North American draw like Donovan Carrillo.

Oh, be still my heart:drama: But that won't happen either.:biggrin:

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I'm not sure I agree that it is "fair" to go down the list.

The host feds put time money and effort into hosting the GP. In return, they get to pick a "hometown hero" to boost sales at home. I have no problem with the US, Canada, Russia, Japan or other countries doing this, even if they skip someone higher on the list.

Particularly as men have traditionally been a stronghold for the US, I would be shocked if the TBA is other than an American man. And if they are going to give it up, it should be for a North American draw like Donovan Carrillo.

Oh, be still my heart:drama: But that won't happen either.:biggrin:
Of course the TBA would be an American at SA. What we are talking about is if someone WD (other than an American) because of injury, then the replacement list comes to play.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of course the TBA would be an American at SA. What we are talking about is if someone WD (other than an American) because of injury, then the replacement list comes to play.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood.

It is true that host feds appear to play fast and loose with the WDs. In normal times, when everyone has had a chance to compete equally, I certainly think the rankings should be applied.(y)

ETA: except of course for Donovan. He has rights over all others, rankings or no:biggrin:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Nugumanova was 3rd at Warzaw Cup 2019/2020 season so she was on the SB list as 37th. She still got two Russians above her, Frolova at 34th and Tarakanova at 25th. And those two didn't get a GP either. Sinitsyna was 11th on that list, and Samodurova is still 11th on the WS list as they haven't changed it because of COVID. So too many Russian girls ahead makes it impossible for Nugumanova to get a spot. I'm pretty sure the host spot at Rostelecom will probably go to Khromykh (or perhaps Samodurova).
Frolova was moved back to juniors. She is on Rus J National team, so I expect her to be in JGP

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Vincent Zhou did well at Broadmoor, winning the combined Senior Men competition. Here's what he did:

SP: 4z+3t, 4s, 3a, 99.64 (56.57+43.07)
FS: 4z, 4s, 3a, 4t, 4s+3t, 3a+2t, 3z+eu+3s, 203.72 (113.82+89.90)

He also won the jumps competition:

4Lz+3T, popped quad flip; 4Lz +3T, 4F from mohawk

lilsailor

On the Ice
I think Torgashev retired. Paniot or Hiwatashi makes the most sense as they have the goods to challenge for a podium spot- I'd give the nod to Paniot since he's the most capable of actually possibly medaling doing 3 quads including the Flip, Naumov doesn't do a quad (or at least he didn't last year), Ma's inconsistent on his.
Torg hasn't retired! He's doing Peggy Flemming Trophy this month. He hasn't been on the ISP list so far this off season, likely because he hasn't competed internationally in a while w/ COVID and his coaching change, so he probably wasn't submitted by USFSA (Feds have to submit a list of names) for a spot. Hoping we'll see him on the international scene soon :(

Amei

Record Breaker
Torg hasn't retired! He's doing Peggy Flemming Trophy this month. He hasn't been on the ISP list so far this off season, likely because he hasn't competed internationally in a while w/ COVID and his coaching change, so he probably wasn't submitted by USFSA (Feds have to submit a list of names) for a spot. Hoping we'll see him on the international scene soon :(

I confused him for Krasnozhon

spicymacaron

On the Ice
I thought Sasha got the easiest assignments of the russian ladies at first, but now that I've looked at it in more detail, Anna has the least difficult competitions. Kind of surprised that Kamilla got the meatgrinder that was Skate Canada, but it might have been the only way to separate her from Sasha and Anna.